• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Worcester 3.04" at my location.  4.5" at a friend's location about 4 miles away toward North Wales.

Locally the worst was in the Upper Merion area. Many car water rescues and a few home rescues with water up to the first floor windows. This was all this AM. Other than the runoff fed streams everything has receded.

Mt. Holly issued a Flood Warning for the Schuylkill downtown.  I've been watching that gauge all afternoon and with the upstream flooding and the Wissahickon dumping into it (which is a couple feet above its usual depth - been watching that gauge too), it was pretty much inevitable.

Edit to add a note that the 5 pm gauge update just came through and the Schuylkill at the Water Works ("Philadelphia") is now up to 9.98 ft.  I know when it goes over 10ft it starts lapping up on the banks along the river drives.  At over 11ft, that part under the Roosevelt Expressway bridge around Midvale and Kelly Dr. starts flooding.

Flood Warning

Flood Warning
National Weather Service Mt Holly NJ
509 PM EDT Mon Aug 13 2018

...The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued
   a flood warning for the following rivers in Pennsylvania...

Schuylkill River At Philadelphia affecting Montgomery and
  Philadelphia Counties

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

SAFETY MESSAGE...Do not attempt to drive through flooded areas.
The water may be deeper than you think.

&&

PAC091-101-140308-
/O.NEW.KPHI.FL.W.0040.180814T0100Z-180815T0430Z/
/PADP1.1.ER.180814T0100Z.180814T1200Z.180814T2230Z.NO/
509 PM EDT Mon Aug 13 2018

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly NJ has issued a

* Flood Warning for
  The Schuylkill River at Philadelphia.
* From this evening to late Tuesday night...or until the warning
  is cancelled.
* At 4:00 PM Monday the stage was 9.6 feet.
* Flood stage is 11.0 feet.
* Minor flooding is forecast.
* Forecast...Rise above flood stage tonight and continue to rise
  to near 12.2 feet by tomorrow morning. The river will fall below
  flood stage by tomorrow evening.
* Impact...At 12.0 feet...Main Street in Manayunk floods in the area
  of Shurs Lane.
* Flood history...This crest compares to a previous crest of 12.1
  feet on Oct 9 2005.

&&

FLD    OBSERVED           FORECAST
 LOCATION                STG    STG    DAY TIME    CREST

Schuylkill River
  Philadelphia           11.0    9.64  Mon 4 PM    12.2    Tue 8 AM

&&

LAT...LON 3998 7525 4002 7517 3988 7517 3985 7525

$$

Kruzdlo

Temp made it just barely to 80 here today after all the rain this morning and looks to be on the way down.  Currently 79 and partly cloudy.

This morning was crazy. Right smack in the middle of the swath of 7-8" of rain. Fortunately, family that was out and about all made it back after an extended stay at a local eatery that was the only accessible public building during the hours our home was not an option. We live on a high spot in the area which essentially makes all access roads lower, and of course today flooded. Also, from what I saw,  the closed off areas were populated with drivers who either chose poorly or simply were stopped in traffic on a low spot that turned into a small lake.

I was out in the H2 heading to the office through the Farmingdale area when things got REALLY bad. Within a few minutes rapids behind and in front. I immediately sought high ground and found it at BLM after a daunting trip down the suitably named  Hurley Pond road. (BTW, I have driven H1/H2's since 1994. When the guy in the big truck is seeking cover....the guy who has snorkeled through creeks and rivers...driven over obstacles of every sort, navigated ledges, sand pit walls, blizzards ....even had canoer's paddle past me while my passengers were tossing tadpoles out the window....when I bail.....its not bad...its really bad!!) .

Anyway, hung at BLM for about 20-30 minutes until visibility returned and rain ultimately ended. Talked my wife and daughter separately to a common safe spot.   Back on the road, it was 5-10mph to the office avoiding creeks and bridges for the most part. It was your basic slow ride through mostly through 1-2ft of water on the back roads. 

Surveying the area between say 33 and 35/34/70 junction, there was a time 34, 35, GSP, 195, 138 and 71 were all dangerous to unpassable for large sections. Several accidents on all mentioned roads did not help. I never saw google maps traffic ALL red like it was for such a large area. Roughly a 10-10 mile box. GPS...sure....happens all the time during the summer....this was everywhere be it major roads or side streets.

While 175ft elevation does not sound like much it is HUGE in these situations. Those below us even 50-75 feet have a completely different experience when it comes to property. Flooded yards, garages, basements, pools overflowing and flooding out adjacent lots below. Driving along the roads now you can see the water level remnants, sand, dirt, debris and of course standing water. Not just the usual spots that flood during a summer storm. Everywhere you see it.

I would imagine the local rivers and tributaries are swollen to dangerous levels? Manasquan river heading through Allaire would be one example. 

I heard PA is also dealing with severe flooding.  I have not had time to follow that part yet.

Heading home after a long wet Monday. I usually do not put the fishing waders into the Hummer until Sept.

2018 will be the exception. The rod and tackle can wait another month.

Finally, shout out to those Waze users who used the Noah arc icon to mark the really bad spots. I was LOL when I saw the first one...my wife sent me a photo copy of her screen.

Be safe all...stay dry too!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SP said:

I would imagine the local rivers and tributaries are swollen to dangerous levels? Manasquan river heading through Allaire would be one example. 

I heard PA is also dealing with severe flooding.  I have not had time to follow that part yet.

Heading home after a long wet Monday. I usually do not put the fishing waders into the Hummer until Sept.

2018 will be the exception. The rod and tackle can wait another month.

Finally, shout out to those Waze users who used the Noah arc icon to mark the really bad spots. I was LOL when I saw the first one...my wife sent me a photo copy of her screen.

Be safe all...stay dry too!

Channel 6 had a helicopter broadcasting live shots (on their website) over Darby, PA earlier and the city is flooded (it is flood prone as it is).  Darby & Cobbs Creeks out of their banks. Brandywine Creek at Chadds Ford is out of its bank. The Schuylkill in Montgomery County at various locations, is out of its bank, and is expected to go past bankfull and flood here in Philly tonight and tomorrow morning.

Wish you and your family well and stay safe!  There is supposedly more being forecast but hopefully it won't hit those spots that have already been impacted so badly today.

Thanks, you too! Glad you guys found your way through. Sounds like a humbling experience among other things!

The scary part for me was my 17yr old who was attending an early morning indoor practice. No one had a clue what was going on....they left during a lull and went for breakfast then all heck broke loose. She hung out with her friend on the hill of a road through the whole thing. Then once it past could only make it to a local eatery down the road from us until the water cleared. My wife ended up there too. She said it was crazy sitting on the car parked with flashers on...zero vis...lucky it was a residential low traffic spot. Kudos for iPhone tracking and maps....knowing the area was able to pick a good hang out spot for them...out of traffic and water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just heard something about rafters and search parties on Lehigh river? Anyone know about this?

https://wnep.com/2018/08/13/search-for-missing-rafters-on-lehigh-river/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Supposedly a church group of 200 people went out on rafts today, possibly up to 50 still missing. Whoever approved it needs to be put away....

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, RedSky said:

Sky has cleared to allow Perseid viewing

Peeped out and other than some fog, was surprised that it did clear out. But then the current temp of 67 here should have been a clue to me regarding radiational cooling. Scattered clouds are starting to roll in now.  No more rain fell overnight after last night's sound and light show.

Looks like the Schuylkill @ Philadelphia has just crested just barely below official flood stage but it's still up enough for the flooding under the Roosevelt Blvd bridge/Midvale/Ridge Ave. adjacent to the Kelly Drive and MLK Drive is also partially flooded -

schuylkill-gauge-4am-USGS.01474500.121540.00065..20180807.20180814..0..gif-08142018.png

Dark clouds coming from the West here, radar looks like a nice line, although some signs of possible dissipation showing. High today here was only 79F, currently 77F. Must be that cool air aloft from the upper low passing to our north. Received 0.20" of additional rain today in a few showers, 3.48" since early yesterday.

15 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Dark clouds coming from the West here, radar looks like a nice line, although some signs of possible dissipation showing. High today here was only 79F, currently 77F. Must be that cool air aloft from the upper low passing to our north. Received 0.20" of additional rain today in a few showers, 3.48" since early yesterday.

Yeah - some pretty mean clouds out there.  I may just get sideswiped by the heaviest but Birds may cash in on that.

radar-zoom3-08142018.png