• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

This is definitely flash flood type rain.  I expect the usual areas in my neighborhood at the bottom of hills, to have some huge puddles.  Rates have dropped off to under 2" in hour but still going ~1.77"/hr.  Totals for the day up to 1.36" so far and still rising (to include the 0.05" from early this morning).  Temp is 71.

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

This is definitely flash flood type rain.  I expect the usual areas in my neighborhood at the bottom of hills, to have some huge puddles.  Rates have dropped off to under 2" in hour but still going ~1.77"/hr.  Totals for the day up to 1.36" so far and still rising (to include the 0.05" from early this morning).  Temp is 71.

Easily...it's almost dark w/super heavy rain.....mid afternoon..

Skies starting to brighten off to my west. Still dark to my north and east. Rains are light now (< 0.1"/hr).  Totals up to 1.52" for the day so far at post time.  Will see if the blob down in Chester County makes it here intact.  Temp is down to 68 so if anything, the air has stabilized. Smells nice and fresh out there!

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Skies starting to brighten off to my west. Still dark to my north and east. Rains are light now (< 0.1"/hr).  Totals up to 1.52" for the day so far at post time.  Will see if the blob down in Chester County makes it here intact.  Temp is down to 68 so if anything, the air has stabilized. Smells nice and fresh out there!

Still stuff coming (a bit) and skies still look weird for this time of day...let's see.

12 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Still stuff coming (a bit) and skies still look weird for this time of day...let's see.

Rain has stopped (sun peeping out) here but I may get side-swiped by that stuff down in Chester County.  The storms have started generally moving SW --> NE.  Don't know if the stuff north of here is going to push down any further unless the front moves or wobbles (which is possible). The sky still looks pretty nasty to the NE. Finished up with 1.47" with that round and have the total of 1.52" for the day so far w/temp @ 68.

Just picked up 0.47" of rain here in 18 minutes with latest storm - continues to rain more lightly now - up to 0.51" for the day here in East Nantmeal Township - 4.24" (+3.01" above normal) this month and 13.78" since July 1st. Year to date we are now at 44.41" which is 13.31" above normal for here (1983 to Present)

13 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

keeping an eye on a big cell now just 11 miles to my NW (just southeast of Reading) dropping SE.....could be some major flooding in East Nantmeal Twp if this holds together

Thanks for the heads up.  The storm motion has started to shift with those northernmost lines of cells and they have started pushing down from NW --> SE. The southernmost lines are still moving SW --> NE.  It's gotten dark here again (rain stopped so the 0.03" round 2 was it), so I may be sideswiped by both sets.

11 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Flood advisories etc on radar looks like a big tetris 

Yet it continues to not rain here lol

That's a perfect description. lol  Some of those are flash flood warnings and the others are flood advisories.  Hope you can catch a break though!

Since the day is about over, the high today did manage to make it to 84 just after noon.  It's been hovering in the upper 60s/low 70s most of the rest of the afternoon however.  Currently 72 and darkly overcast.

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

You may have a round 4 and 5+ still to go? Kind of a wild day.

Yeah, this is progged to go on like this all weekend. lol  It's wild to watch an animation of the radar and storm movements - literally wavering back and forth. Got 0.06" additional & current daily total is 1.61" now. It's also gotten a bit steamy believe it or not.  The windows have started fogging up.

Well... Have been watching what almost looked like some sort of seabreeze front moving in from the east across Jersey and noted storms firing up along it.  It finally made it over here to PA and I had been hearing thunder on and off for the past half hour. As soon as that feature reached here, a cool breeze arrived (I was sitting outside watching the dark clouds roll in), it looked almost like it slammed into the ridge of hills here, and fired up some storms.  Nothing severe but so far got 0.09" out of it at post time. The heaviest looks to be a few miles to my SW and this storm is moving to the WNW. Temp down to 77 (had a high of 83 today).

Edit to add - I just stepped outside briefly and the humidity hadn't been too bad earlier but now it is a steam bath.  Windows fogging up too!

radar-zoom1-08122018.png