• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Had a high of 85 yesterday and a low of 64 this morning. Currently 72 & overcast after a pretty red/multi-color sunrise.  A lot of hype going with this as I popped by the state store this morning and the cashier guy was even talking about it.   Trying to get whatever "outside" stuff I needed to get done, done (getting some plants in), so I can cocoon.

You can clearly see it coming up from the south -

radar-07212018.png

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Had a high of 85 yesterday and a low of 64 this morning. Currently 72 & overcast after a pretty red/multi-color sunrise.  A lot of hype going with this as I popped by the state store this morning and the cashier guy was even talking about it.   Trying to get whatever "outside" stuff I needed to get done, done (getting some plants in), so I can cocoon.

You can clearly see it coming up from the south -

radar-07212018.png

Hi Agnes, do you mind if I ask what map you're using here? I've been struggling to find a decent one ever since they changed the old WU maps to their newer, crudier version. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Hi Agnes, do you mind if I ask what map you're using here? I've been struggling to find a decent one ever since they changed the old WU maps to their newer, crudier version. Thanks!

That is from GRLevel 3 (v2) - http://www.grlevelx.com/grlevel3_2/

It's a pay product but it is pretty cool.  It polls data from all the major radar sites (selectable) and you can play around with various displays, etc.  It's primarily a radar product.

• Like 1

Thanks Agnes!

After losing power for an extended time twice this year, I bit the bullet and bought a generator and a portable A/C yesterday as soon as I saw the forecasts ticking up past 2" of rain for today... My wife and I are caregivers for my mother-in-law, and it's reassuring to finally have a fallback solution other than driving an hour to my parents' house every time the power goes out. Gotta run out soon and get longer extension cords though.

15 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Thanks Agnes!

After losing power for an extended time twice this year, I bit the bullet and bought a generator and a portable A/C yesterday as soon as I saw the forecasts ticking up past 2" of rain for today... My wife and I are caregivers for my mother-in-law, and it's reassuring to finally have a fallback solution other than driving an hour to my parents' house every time the power goes out. Gotta run out soon and get longer extension cords though.

I hear ya!  Had to do that role too although fortunately my mom was just a couple miles away (she passed away a few years ago).

What is also good about that program is that it has an option to display any LSRs so you can see what types of hazards are being reported in various locations (including amount of rain/snow/ice, street flooding, trees down, severe winds causing damage, etc).   Hoping we won't have that type of damage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Starting to get some rain drops and I haven't made it to the state store yet!

Your age is showing...lol. I haven't heard that term in a long time but I know what you mean since I'm only a couple years behind you. It's all "wine and spirits" now as far as I know/seen.

A couple sprinkles but the steady/heavier stuff is closing in...

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Your age is showing...lol. I haven't heard that term in a long time but I know what you mean since I'm only a couple years behind you. It's all "wine and spirits" now as far as I know/seen.

Takes too long to say "Wine and Spirits Shoppes".  It's still the state store! :drunk:

Most of the heavy stuff is off to the west so far but the low is still down off the coast of NC, probably tearing up the beaches down there.

nws-surfacemap-07212018.gif

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I only said State Store because I didn’t want to make Agnes feel old...lol!

Actually I remember going there as a kid w/my parents—you couldn’t touch anything. You’d give your order to the guy at the counter and he’d go in the back and get it for you.

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Takes too long to say "Wine and Spirits Shoppes".  It's still the state store! :drunk:

Most of the heavy stuff is off to the west so far but the low is still down off the coast of NC, probably tearing up the beaches down there.

nws-surfacemap-07212018.gif

I never call it "wine and spirits store". First off, I don't like wine that much and like you said it's too long to say. Growing up and into my 20s it was either "State store" or "Liquor store" To this day I call it "Liquor store"...it gets right to the point.

1 minute ago, JTA66 said:

Actually I remember going there as a kid w/my parents—you couldn’t touch anything. You’d give your order to the guy at the counter and he’d go in the back and get it for you.

Yep, it was really strange as I look back now. As a child I was thinking, "What the hell is dad buying? It must be good!".

8 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Oh hell... I am (or at least starting to feel that way)!

8 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I never call it "wine and spirits store". First off, I don't like wine that much and like you said it's too long to say. Growing up and into my 20s it was either "State store" or "Liquor store" To this day I call it "Liquor store"...it gets right to the point.

The "liquor store" meant over the bridge in Jersey. lol  When I was in college up in Massachusetts, they called it the "package store" and you "made a packie run". :lol:

As a weather note, I saw that the Flood Watch has been expanded way west.  It will be interesting to see if that low actually hugs the coast or just goes on and comes inland and north.  The MW low may really be impacting it and there was some question about whether the two would merge although probably not.

It's almost like a remnant of a subtropical storm although with cooler temps.  The rain has come in fits and starts.  Most of the heavier stuff so far is south and west of here.  The coastal hasn't moved very much and is hanging around the NC/VA border.  The dps have gone up though so it is a bit juicy.  Current temp here is 66 and the rain totals are just below 1/4" so far (0.22") with light rain going on and breezy.