• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Wondering about my thermometer a little after today - the high here was 92F, currently 75F, DP 70F. Generally speaking it seems fairly accurate, but I was surprised to see 92 as the high. We spent the day horizontally boring holes from the barn to the front yard, 28 feet length under the driveway. It was hot, after a while it's like you're in a mental fog, and just plugging along.

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Wondering about my thermometer a little after today - the high here was 92F, currently 75F, DP 70F. Generally speaking it seems fairly accurate, but I was surprised to see 92 as the high. We spent the day horizontally boring holes from the barn to the front yard, 28 feet length under the driveway. It was hot, after a while it's like you're in a mental fog, and just plugging along.

Nice timing picking the regions hottest day in years, or so i been reading, to do that kind of job :yikes:

My high was only 96.4F 

7 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Using my own lay characterizations, the location of the heat core pushed the hotter temps further north and east.  I.e., it wasn't/isn't really positioned in a traditional "Bermuda High" configuration, with a conveyor belt of heat pouring up from the southwest.  EWR hit 98 yesterday whereas PHL only hit 95.  My sis and her hubby drove up to Jersey City yesterday to visit my niece in her new apartment and popped over to NYC to see the September 11 Memorial, and they noted it was broiling up there.

Still, the fact that the heat core produced the heat that it did here, is significant given had it moved into Bermuda High position (without all the vortexes north and south), we would have hit closer to 100.

Looking at my data, I registered a brief 95.7 at some point (probably between 3:30 - 4:00), so my high yesterday ended up being 96.  It's currently 72, a full 4 degrees below my yesterday's temp at the same time, so not sure where things will go today, although the dews are up in the 70s now, which is a change.

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

Nice timing picking the regions hottest day in years, or so i been reading, to do that kind of job :yikes:

My high was only 96.4F 

Lol I know - and while many weather scenarios around here don't evolve exactly as forecast, you can pretty much take heat to the bank. At least it's dry for a few days (fingers crossed).

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Using my own lay characterizations, the location of the heat core pushed the hotter temps further north and east.  I.e., it wasn't/isn't really positioned in a traditional "Bermuda High" configuration, with a conveyor belt of heat pouring up from the southwest.  EWR hit 98 yesterday whereas PHL only hit 95.  My sis and her hubby drove up to Jersey City yesterday to visit my niece in her new apartment and popped over to NYC to see the September 11 Memorial, and they noted it was broiling up there.

Still, the fact that the heat core produced the heat that it did here, is significant given had it moved into Bermuda High position (without all the vortexes north and south), we would have hit closer to 100.

Looking at my data, I registered a brief 95.7 at some point (probably between 3:30 - 4:00), so my high yesterday ended up being 96.  It's currently 72, a full 4 degrees below my yesterday's temp at the same time, so not sure where things will go today, although the dews are up in the 70s now, which is a change.

I saw that the other day, the core of the heat being to our northeast....didn't expect that large of a difference, but that's ok!

10 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I saw that the other day, the core of the heat being to our northeast....didn't expect that large of a difference, but that's ok!

Yeah I think it had to do with a couple factors - dry air mixing in at some spots (I never got the "soupy" dews) and some persistent cirrus in places.

For some reason, I radiated efficiently overnight to have a low that was lower than yesterday but now the temps caught up and I am now 1-2 degrees warmer than this time yesterday.  Currently 82 and dews in the upper 60s, so a bit more steamy now.

42 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah I think it had to do with a couple factors - dry air mixing in at some spots (I never got the "soupy" dews) and some persistent cirrus in places.

For some reason, I radiated efficiently overnight to have a low that was lower than yesterday but now the temps caught up and I am now 1-2 degrees warmer than this time yesterday.  Currently 82 and dews in the upper 60s, so a bit more steamy now.

Yes it was not bad at all temp. wise earlier, but the humidity is higher for sure.

Just got back from the supermarket.  Up to 91 here now, about 2 degrees higher than yesterday at this time.  Other difference from yesterday is that there is an almost completely blue sky (vs the cirrus deck yesterday) but there is a definite haze in the sky too. Wow.  Humidity is up enough to be noticeable.

A couple tenths warmer here in the 96 range than yesterday (high so far has technically been 96.1), but more sustained than yesterday's fleeting hit at 96 (95.7).  Convective temps reached and a little cumulus have bubbled up here and there this afternoon (vs the cirrus cover of yesterday).  The winds have generally been very light to calm both days which has made it a bit stifling but still not at steambath levels. I'm more used to those traditional "Bermuda High" SW winds that happen in the afternoons and not so with this stagnant stuff.

Currently 96 and mostly sunny.