• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Reached a high of 90 today (day 1 of potential heatwave) and currently 86, with relatively low humidity.  Mt. Holly has an Excessive Heat Warning up for metro Philly and portions of the immediate rim counties for Sunday & Monday.  It will be interesting to see how close we might get to Heat Advisory criteria tomorrow.

The last two 90+ degree days here (before yesterday) were June 17 & June 18th, and by 8 am both days, the temps had reached 78 (yesterday was at 79 at 8am).  Today, the temp is at 82, a full 3 - 4 degrees warmer at the same time. So given the 18th hit 93 here, it should theoretically go higher here today with this sort of ramp-up.

Currently 82 and not a cloud in the sky. Dews in the 60s but not bad out there yet.

94 ended up being the high.  Currently down to 92 now.  Whatever temp ends up being the low tomorrow morning will determine how high it goes here.  That persistent rain down in the SE doesn't seem to be conducive to getting a good "Bermuda High" configuration and conveyor of heat pouring up here (at least in Philly proper - may be better further north) so I am doubting any high upper 90s... at least IMBY but we shall see! 

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Heard my first cicadas this evening.  Seems sortof late but then the spring was prolonged so maybe the soil finally warmed up enough to finally hatch them.  Currently 86.

Not even close here...I barely see a lightning bug even with these hot temps.

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Not even close here...I barely see a lightning bug even with these hot temps.

I seem to only have 1 "resident" lightning bug that I saw again tonight (my sister in Wyndmoor has hundreds but then she has a creek at the bottom of her yard and they fill up the silver maple that is planted next to the creek).  I guess the crickets will be next.

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Heard my first cicadas this evening.  Seems sortof late but then the spring was prolonged so maybe the soil finally warmed up enough to finally hatch them.  Currently 86.

I always thought of Cicadas as a July feature, then katydids and crickets in August....generally speaking. We probably have this conversation every year, lol.

6 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

I always thought of Cicadas as a July feature, then katydids and crickets in August....generally speaking. We probably have this conversation every year, lol.

Could be an urban heat sink thing but whenever we would get mid-June heatwaves here (right before the schools let out), the cicadas would appear (not those famous 17 year brood ones but the "annual" ones).  The past couple years have been cooler in June so they have been later to emerge.  We grew up calling them "hot birds" (me and my sisters still call them that) because they signaled that it was going to get hot and that was usually what happened. :lmao:  Am guessing that's what our parents called them because telling a kid "that is a cicada" is like speaking an alien language.  The more times we heard them during the day, the hotter it was going to get.

Also I always remembered hearing the katydids in late summer here.  That always signaled to me that fall was on the way!

Funny aside - my sister texted late last night to say that she had 2 lightning bugs flying around her bedroom.  lol

Edit to add about the cicadas - was looking up some pics and audio clips and there are two I am used to seeing - one appears to be the "Northern Dusk-singing cicada" which is probably what let loose last night just before 8 pm (had a lower pitch pulsing buzz buzz buzz buzz buzz buzzbuzzbuzzbuzz buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz). We used to have a pine tree years ago in the backyard of the house I grew up in and we would see them and their casings attached to the trunk of that tree. They were huge. Then there is the "Linne's Cicada" that seems to be the most ubiquitous one around here in mid-summer (based on their sound), and they were a bit smaller with a more elongated body and long wings.  Both had black eyes.  And there is the "Dog Day circada" that gets talked about a lot that supposedly comes out in late summer, but the only place I remember ever hearing those was up in New England...never really heard their high-pitched bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt around here.  Only once did I see one of those 17-year brood cicadas - and that was in my sister's backyard near the creek almost 15 years ago (in Wyndmoor).  I had never seen those red-eyed ones before.

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Now 86 @ 9am, 2 degrees warmer than yesterday at this time so the temp trajectory is a bit steeper now.  Dews still in the 60s.

Still a comfortable 83F here. We used to call the cicadas locusts when we were kids, and still do most of the time even if not accurate. And then there's the cicada killers, those B52 bomber bees that prowl around about a foot or two off the ground. Never been bothered by them but I keep my distance, lol.

14 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Still a comfortable 83F here. We used to call the cicadas locusts when we were kids, and still do most of the time even if not accurate. And then there's the cicada killers, those B52 bomber bees that prowl around about a foot or two off the ground. Never been bothered by them but I keep my distance, lol.

I finally saw one of those cicada killers.  Huge wasps.  I kept my distance too! I remember as a kid sitting at the top of a sliding board that went to the swing set in the backyard just before dusk (it was still light out) and getting whacked in the head by a huge cicada that was zooming from somewhere.  Liked to knock me off the sliding board!  LOL

Temps now are still running about 2 - 3 degrees above those from yesterday at this time.  Currently 92.  DP is 64 so the slop hasn't advected in yet.

The City of Philadelphia just issued a "Heat Health Emergency" -

Health Commissioner Issues First Heat Health Emergency of 2018

PHILADELPHIA -- In response to forecasted maximum heat indexes over 100, Health Commissioner Thomas Farley, MD, MPH issued a Heat Health Emergency in Philadelphia. This designation begins Sunday, July 1, at noon and is scheduled to end Wednesday, July 4 at 8 p.m.

A declaration of a Heat Health Emergency by the Health Commissioner activates the City’s emergency heat programs, including the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging’s Heatline, extended hours at select Free Library locations that have been designated as Cooling Centers, home visits by special field teams, enhanced daytime outreach for the homeless, and the City's annual reminder to the public to look in on older friends, relatives, and neighbors.

The Heatline (215-765-9040) will be open Sunday, July 1, from noon through midnight; Monday, July 2, from 8:30 a.m. through midnight; Tuesday, July 3, from 8:30 a.m. through midnight; and Wednesday, July 4, from 8:30 a.m. until 8 p.m., when the emergency declaration ends. The public is encouraged to call if they have questions about precautions they can take against the heat and detecting signs of heat stress. City Health Department nurses will be on-site to speak with callers about medical problems related to the heat.

Health Commissioner Farley said, “we strongly urge the public to visit older friends, relatives and neighbors to ensure that air conditioners or fans are working and homes are adequately ventilated. In a heat wave, the majority of the victims are older people and those with pre-existing medical conditions.”

Groups at risk in the extreme heat include people with chronic medical conditions, pregnant women, small children, those who work in a high heat environment, and persons engaged in strenuous physical activity.

People who do not have air conditioning are advised to seek relief from the heat by visiting friends or relatives that have air conditioning. The City is also extending hours at air conditioned libraries throughout the city. Branches with extended hours are listed below. Residents can find all of the identified Cooling Centers, as well as pools, spraygrounds, recreation centers, libraries, and older adult centers on this map.

The Department of Public Health recommends that to avoid heat-related illness, Philadelphians of all ages should adhere to the following simple rules:

Use air conditioners. If you do not have access to air conditioning, find some.
    If using a fan, be sure to open windows to release trapped hot air.
    Drink plenty of non-alcoholic liquids to prevent dehydration.
    Never leave older people, children, or pets alone in cars.
    Those taking regular medication should consult with their physician. Some medications cause an adverse reaction in hot weather.
    Wear lightweight clothing.
    Avoid, as much as possible, working or playing in the hot sun or other hot areas. 
    Maintain a normal diet.
    Shower or bathe in water that is near skin temperature.

The early warning signs of heat stress are decreased energy, slight loss of appetite, faintness, lightheadedness, and nausea. People experiencing these symptoms should go to a cool environment, drink fluids, remove excess clothing, and rest.

Serious signs of heat stress include unconsciousness, rapid heartbeat, throbbing headache, dry skin, chest pain, mental confusion, irritability, vomiting, diarrhea, muscle cramps, staggering, and difficulty breathing. People experiencing these symptoms should get immediate medical attention. While waiting for help move the person to a cool area, remove excess clothing, spray with water, and fan the person. In an emergency, dial 911.

More information about Heat Health Emergencies and what residents can do to stay safe can be found here.

This Heat Health Emergency coincides with Philadelphia’s annual Welcome America festival. July 4th festival attendees are encouraged to seek shade and review www.phila.gov/welcomeamerica to find free water refilling stations, misting tents, medic tents, ADA drop off locations, etc. Text "AMERICA" to 888-777 to receive real time Welcome America weather updates and public safety information. Welcome America sponsored free museum days allow the public to enjoy some culture and free air conditioning.

Library Cooling Centers and hours

Monday, July 2, 2018

Blanche A. Nixon Cobbs Creek Library, 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Widener Library, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Fumo Family Branch, 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Haddington Library, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Oak Lane Library, 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Logan Library, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Lillian Marrero Library, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Joseph E. Coleman Regional Library, 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Blanche A. Nixon Cobbs Creek Library, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Lucien E. Blackwell Regional Library, 12 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Widener Library, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Fumo Family Branch, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Haddington Library, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Oak Lane Library, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Logan Library, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m.

Lillian Marrero Library, 11 a.m. - 6 p.m. 

Already up to 92.6 here in NW Chesco (high heat index 104.9) this is our 2nd 90+ reading of the year - this is already the 13th hottest day in the last 15 years at my location. Overall it is the 66th such reading since 2004. Breaks the Chester County daily record which was only 89 set back in 2002. The all-time Chester County daily record for today is the 102.5 set way back in 1901 - that record should be safe!