Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

9 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Was out at a recital in Elkins Park this afternoon and it started raining there (and here) sometime after 5:30 pm. Am gobsmacked that it is currently 53, after a midnight high of 72. Have been getting old fashioned steady rain since. Up to 0.18" for the day so far (most of that from this evening).

Just ticked down to 53F here as well with steady light rain. Expected low is 51F...it would be kinda cool to hit the 40s (49F) in June. Total 0.12 so far...I'll (the garden) be happy with 0.25 total or above.

13 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Just ticked down to 53F here as well with steady light rain. Expected low is 51F...it would be kinda cool to hit the 40s (49F) in June. Total 0.12 so far...I'll (the garden) be happy with 0.25 total or above.

It'll definitely go over 1/4" where you are (I just hit 0.28"). The stuff is moving in from both the W and the SE (the 2 flows seem to be clashing right along the Lancaster/Chester County line).  Also think it may just get close to that 49 mark.  That high up in Canada means some business!  Am flirting with 52 now.

18 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

It'll definitely go over 1/4" where you are (I just hit 0.28"). The stuff is moving in from both the W and the SE (the 2 flows seem to be clashing right along the Lancaster/Chester County line).  Also think it may just get close to that 49 mark.  That high up in Canada means some business!  Am flirting with 52 now.

Yeah, I'll hit above 0.25...I'm now at 0.16 with "yellows" moving in. Down to 52F...let's go 40s!

temp.jpg

picked up .78" on the entire weekend. If we hadn't gotten that slug of heavy rain last night, we would have had less than .25"... and of course the one area that saw heavy rain saturday night happened to be Camden during dead and company :axe: 

Beautiful day out there today for june 4th. Perfect day to cut out of work early and go play 9....

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

picked up .78" on the entire weekend. If we hadn't gotten that slug of heavy rain last night, we would have had less than .25"... and of course the one area that saw heavy rain saturday night happened to be Camden during dead and company :axe: 

Beautiful day out there today for june 4th. Perfect day to cut out of work early and go play 9....

All week and beyond look super nice. A couple showers here and there but good for the garden and to reduce pollen. Great night time sleeping w/o the A/C as well...

52 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

^ Got hit pretty good by that one -- big limb down in the front yard. I'd say winds gusted to 45mph.

P.S. Anyone else have trouble accessing the site? I've been getting "error" messages since Sunday.

Got a sprinkle here. I had issues on the pc Sunday, but not on the phone (for access).

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

^ Got hit pretty good by that one -- big limb down in the front yard. I'd say winds gusted to 45mph.

P.S. Anyone else have trouble accessing the site? I've been getting "error" messages since Sunday.

Yeah, pretty decent but quick moving storm. I swear I won't have to water the garden this year...we don't go long before more rain.

This site is quirky at times but I've haven't had any problems lately. 

Hey guys,

Attached for those interested is my latest article for the local East Nantmeal Paper with weather highlights for NW Chester County PA over the last 3 months

Hello again from Paul at The Northwest Chester County PA Weather Station (www.chescowx.com) here in beautiful East Nantmeal Township. Be sure to follow me on twitter at Twitter as I am tweeting multiple daily climate reports, forecast updates and weather photos for our fair Township.

When I wrote my last article, we were just finishing the 1st 10 days of March and in the midst of what would be the snowiest March in Chester County history. We had just had an 11.5” snowstorm on the 6th and 7th and this was followed up with the 4th largest snowstorm in County history going back to 1894 with 13.5” of snow falling on the 21st and 22nd of March for the 1st day of spring. The largest March snowstorm on record was the 19” of snow that fell on March 20, 1958. going all the way back to 1894! Overall for the month we finished up with 30.6” of snow, this crushed the old March Chester County snowfall record of 27.1” set way back in 1914. Overall March finished at 2.4 degrees below our normal temperature of 40.4 degrees. Our total precipitation including melted snow ended up at 5.15” which was 0.61” above normal.

April continued the cold stretch with our 5th of the last 6 months dating back to November 2017 having below normal temperatures, this included our last snow event of the year when 2.5” of snow fell on April 2nd. This brought our seasonal 2017-18 snow total up to 58.5” of snow which is over 22” above our normal seasons snowfall here in East Nantmeal of 36.4.” Our total snowfall this year represents the 12th snowiest winter in Chester County PA history back to 1894.  My fearless winter forecast back in the fall predicted 50” of snow so with our record snowy March we ended up with even more than I had predicted. Of interest 4 of the top 12 snowiest winters have occurred in Chester County in just the last 15 years. Our last freezing temperature was recorded on April 21st this was the 98th below freezing reading during the winter season. We average 113 such days in a normal winter.

May saw a major pattern change from our cold pattern noted during most of the winter with the notable exception of February (our 2nd warmest February on record). During May we even experienced our first 90 degree reading of the year on the 3rd when we hit 90.3 degrees. The month was warm and also wet with the month finishing at 65.3 degrees or 4.6 degrees above normal and also with the 6.31” of rain almost 2” above normal. This wet pattern has continued into early June with rain falling on the 1st five days of the month. YTD rainfall through June 7th stands at 26.99” which is 5.59” above normal – this is great news for our Township farmers.

Going forward I expect most of June to remain relatively cool and wet but look for much drier and warmer weather as we move into mid and late summer. Weather always does have a way of balancing out. While it will clearly get warm during the next few months be sure to keep in mind that despite what you will see reported on local news outlets of upwards of 25 plus days that exceed the 90-degree mark at the Philadelphia airport…do not expect such readings here in the relatively high elevations of East Nantmeal Township. We average only about 5 such days here, in fact in the last 15 years we have had 3 years (2004, 2014 and 2015) with not one day that hit the 90 mark and only 1 such day last year here in NW Chester County.

I hope all of you have a great summer!  If you have any questions, please visit my website, follow me on twitter and send me an email. Until next time –All the best!  Paul

Some are weather-wise, some are otherwise” Ben Franklin