Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Nice, man! I didn't know that you moved. Congratulations!! Is that view from your balcony because it's pretty sweet!

Moved in early June! First legit storm I've gotten to see coming in from that direction. There have been some stormy days that I've either missed or came from a different direction. 

I'm *sort of* splitting time right now between my old haunt in Silver Spring at the parents and my new digs. Well sort of...have been stopping in the mornings before work and sometimes in the evenings. But I'd say 90% of my time is now in Columbia. It feels weird after being in the same spot for 26ish years.

And yes - balcony is on the 8th floor and faces pretty much due north. We get good views of WNW to NE roughly. There have been some great sunsets and sunrises as well. 

2 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Moved in early June! First legit storm I've gotten to see coming in from that direction. There have been some stormy days that I've either missed or came from a different direction. 

I'm *sort of* splitting time right now between my old haunt in Silver Spring at the parents and my new digs. Well sort of...have been stopping in the mornings before work and sometimes in the evenings. But I'd say 90% of my time is now in Columbia. It feels weird after being in the same spot for 26ish years.

And yes - balcony is on the 8th floor and faces pretty much due north. We get good views of WNW to NE roughly. There have been some great sunsets and sunrises as well. 

Moving was always bittersweet for me, especially the first big move, but you've picked a great area and it's a good time of the year for wandering around the lakefront. Columbia is also a really good area for outdoor activities (running, cycling, softball, kickball, photography, birding, etc) so if you're into anything, you can meet new people and make local friends quickly. Not to mention that you have prime seating for the July 4th fireworks. 

I'm not sure if they are still available, but you may want stop in the CA headquarters off of Broken Land Pkwy and try to pick up a map of the Columbia bike/walking paths. You can get anywhere from where you are on those paths, and though I like the "real" folding map, I'm not sure if they still make them. There's a mobile app available to download but I've never used it.

Anyway, again congrats. I'll be in your backyard next week for thr Foo Fighters concert.

Obs related, picked up another half inch in yesterday's evening storm, but ready for two perfect early summer days and catching up on some yard work.

19 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

The GFS is out of control.  The 00z run was 105/107/108/108 for the 1st-4th.  06z run is 103/99/99/99.

Meanwhile, the Euro is 93/90/89/90.

GFS overnight lows for DCA and BWI are nuts too...mid 80s.  Old fashioned heat wave!  Too bad the GFS is wack thought :(

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Moving was always bittersweet for me, especially the first big move, but you've picked a great area and it's a good time of the year for wandering around the lakefront. Columbia is also a really good area for outdoor activities (running, cycling, softball, kickball, photography, birding, etc) so if you're into anything, you can meet new people and make local friends quickly. Not to mention that you have prime seating for the July 4th fireworks. 

I'm not sure if they are still available, but you may want stop in the CA headquarters off of Broken Land Pkwy and try to pick up a map of the Columbia bike/walking paths. You can get anywhere from where you are on those paths, and though I like the "real" folding map, I'm not sure if they still make them. There's a mobile app available to download but I've never used it.

Anyway, again congrats. I'll be in your backyard next week for thr Foo Fighters concert.

Obs related, picked up another half inch in yesterday's evening storm, but ready for two perfect early summer days and catching up on some yard work.

Merriweather has been kind of good and bad for me - It's nice that it's so close but the stupid pedestrians during concerts are the worst...I came home from work one night and almost hit 3 separate groups who were trying to cross in the middle of the road. 

My next step is going to be to peruse jobs in Columbia. Right now I still work down in Potomac. I'm eyeballing something in the Medstar building right at Little Patuxent and Broken Land - waiting for something IT that I qualify for to pop up. 

6 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Merriweather has been kind of good and bad for me - It's nice that it's so close but the stupid pedestrians during concerts are the worst...I came home from work one night and almost hit 3 separate groups who were trying to cross in the middle of the road. 

My next step is going to be to peruse jobs in Columbia. Right now I still work down in Potomac. I'm eyeballing something in the Medstar building right at Little Patuxent and Broken Land - waiting for something IT that I qualify for to pop up. 

I'm not sure if this is something you'd be interested in or qualified for, but it's very local.

https://www.applitrack.com/hcpss/onlineapp/1BrowseFile.aspx?id=253288

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm not sure if this is something you'd be interested in or qualified for, but it's very local.

https://www.applitrack.com/hcpss/onlineapp/1BrowseFile.aspx?id=253288

Thanks! Unfortunately I lean less towards the programming side of things and more towards IT Training, networking and applications support. But I totally forgot to look at the school system! 

52 minutes ago, yoda said:

Hmm... wed night could be interesting stormwise if we get some instability..  curved hodographs and 200+ m2/s2 suggest maybe a weak tornado threat?  Shear is decent... 35 to 40 kts

00z NAM looks even better 00z THUR to 09z THUR per soundings lol

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived