Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discobs Thread

George BM

5 hours ago, Mdecoy said:

Meh, its bad don't get me wrong, but there is a breeze.

Nothing compares to that heat we had a couple years ago where it was literally like walking into an oven. You couldn't walk 50 feet without AC without breaking a sweat. I got a full 300 feet just now and was still alright.

i think i actually remember that day.  we had a couple of those.  today was hot, but relatively tolerable.  didn't matter though because i was so damn sore from hiking patapsco yesterday that i haven't even cared to venture out much today.  

in other news, i can report the patapsco river is at normal level right now.  the mosquitoes, however, are still in beast mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We are in the midst of the most severe storm I’ve had here since the derecho. Two nearby transformers blew and there’s no power.

That line went through Westminster with brief heavy rain and sharp lightning but was lacking in wind for the most part.  Must have built up quite a bit by the time it reached you.

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

The rain gauge says .60” but there’s no way it caught it all. The rain was sideways for about 15 minutes.

The sky began darkening here after 4pm but storm was already in the process of dying out before any rain could arrive.  Sky cleared out a little after 5:00.  And we're at 87 at 9pm after a high of 95 IMBY.

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

That line went through Westminster with brief heavy rain and sharp lightning but was lacking in wind for the most part.  Must have built up quite a bit by the time it reached you.

Yeah, apparently it’s a pretty localized event. We went to a movie this evening to find some AC and were hoping that power would be back on by the time we got home, but it’s still out and not on anywhere in the area.  It was a very surreal drive from the beltway to home on Stevenson Rd and Sudbrook with all the lights out and tree debris on the roads.

Speaking of Sudbrook, it seems that several large trees went down in that neighborhood. Hopefully none of those beautiful homes were damaged.

58 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Damage down that way I heard on radio 

I saw some big oaks down this morning driving through the Sudbrook Park neighborhood but no structural damage along my route.  There are still some isolated power outages in the area, but things returned to normal in my hood pretty quickly.  Fortunately, the water table has dropped quite a bit in the past 10 days so there wasn't any flooded basements like when the power when out a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

Hmmm... updated morning AFD from LWX for today's storms:

Scattered strong storms are expected from around midday through
mid to late afternoon across the area as the cold front sags
south out of Pennsylvania intersects with the warm, humid and
unstable airmass. Modified KLWX sounding shows around 2000 J/KG
of MLCAPE developing, with the highest amounts near and south of
the pressure trough across southern Maryland toward central
Virginia. This coupled with marginal shear may result in
isolated severe wind gusts. Veering low-level flow and enhanced
low-level shear along the boundary would suggest an isolated
tornado is possible, particularly over central Virginia where
instability should be greatest (probability would be higher with
any boundary/river breeze intersections).

There is also a heavy rain/flood threat, but it appears too isolated
for a watch at this point (see Hydrology section for more
details).

Following the passage of a cold front and its scattered showers and
thunderstorms, temperatures and dew points will be a tad lower
tonight than previous nights.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic