Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discobs Thread

George BM

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, osfan24 said:

Ha, latest HRRR looks terrible. It looks nothing like the previous few runs that show it hanging together farther east. Latest run has it dying to our west in the by 11 pm or so.

Nam hinted at a split earlier or just not enough to keep things cooking to the east.  There’s no lack of humidity though so whatever falls should be a soaker.

27 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Nam hinted at a split earlier or just not enough to keep things cooking to the east.  There’s no lack of humidity though so whatever falls should be a soaker.

What's weird is then it shows storms blowing up right over the region several hours later and just sitting there for a couple hours, and then they die out and you see the coastal start to form and precip blossom again.

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

What's weird is then it shows storms blowing up right over the region several hours later and just sitting there for a couple hours, and then they die out and you see the coastal start to form and precip blossom again.

yea, tomorrow night and sunday is looking like a classic atlantic style rainy/misty day.  whatever falls before then is probably just extras.

1.86" from the storms last eve. One of the best storms I have seen in some time...tons of lightning, torrential rain with gusty winds.  Creeks around the area are running high this morning.  With some good sun today it could get dicey across the area this eve with more heavy rains. 

94ewbg.gif.6d4cb20b3a19a96d9f03bbb7c2a698c1.gif

I hope the excessive rain stays away from here. Have only had an inch or so total since the 7 day deluge a couple weeks back, which is good. Mosquitoes have been as bad as I have seen it here in over 5 years. Had to spray some malathion yesterday to get a quick knock back. Hate spraying that stuff but I have things to do outside and it was difficult to function lol.

16 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I hope the excessive rain stays away from here. Have only had an inch or so total since the 7 day deluge a couple weeks back, which is good. Mosquitoes have been as bad as I have seen it here in over 5 years. Had to spray some malathion yesterday to get a quick knock back. Hate spraying that stuff but I have things to do outside and it was difficult to function lol.

How much rain did you get in your backyard for May? I was curious about your monthly total.

NWS really got more aggressive with their forecast, now forecasting 2 - 3.75" through tomorrow,  Setting themselves up to bust horribly.

As I predicted yesterday, it's already partly sunny here.  Ground is dry, sun is breaking through the clouds.

I've had barely 1" over the last 2 weeks, despite being under several flood watches over that time, and much of the area getting blasted by big storms.

21 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

How much rain did you get in your backyard for May? I was curious about your monthly total.

8.1" 

which is less than I had during our lovely tropical February, when I had over 9. Actually had flash flooding here in that one event where over 5" fell. Very anomalous. Never seen anything like it during winter months.

26 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

NWS really got more aggressive with their forecast, now forecasting 2 - 3.75" through tomorrow,  Setting themselves up to bust horribly.

As I predicted yesterday, it's already partly sunny here.  Ground is dry, sun is breaking through the clouds.

I've had barely 1" over the last 2 weeks, despite being under several flood watches over that time, and much of the area getting blasted by big storms.

Yeah I have missed most of the heavy stuff too over the last 10 days, but not complaining. Giving my protected mosquito breeding ground, aka "non-tidal wetland" on the back end of my property a chance to dry out some.

Picked up 0.68" last night.  Less than surrounding areas nearby.  Under 3 different flood statements this a.m.  A flood warning for ongoing issues from the rain overnight.  A flash flood watch for what is expected to fall today and tonight.  And a flood watch for tomorrow for local creeks and rivers cresting above flood stage.

not sure I recall all 3 issued simultaneously ?

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah I have missed most of the heavy stuff too over the last 10 days, but not complaining. Giving my protected mosquito breeding ground, aka "non-tidal wetland" on the back end of my property a chance to dry out some.

Are there products you can use around your house to ward them off?  The zappers, repellent plants, etc.

37 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Picked up 0.68" last night.  Less than surrounding areas nearby.  Under 3 different flood statements this a.m.  A flood warning for ongoing issues from the rain overnight.  A flash flood watch for what is expected to fall today and tonight.  And a flood watch for tomorrow for local creeks and rivers cresting above flood stage.

not sure I recall all 3 issued simultaneously ?

NWS flood products are confusing.  Wish they'd simplify them.

27 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Are there products you can use around your house to ward them off?  The zappers, repellent plants, etc.

Those sorts of things might help marginally. Female mosquitoes need blood, lol, and they are pretty relentless. My house is square in the middle of the woods, plus I have a seasonal wetland several hundred feet behind the house. That is the source. I am usually able to control the adult mosquito population with multiple rounds of larvicide, beginning in late winter/ early spring. Its just been wetter this year, and it got kick started with the 9+ inches that fell here in Feb. The problem typically resolves itself once we get into our usual hot, dry summer pattern. That area dries up. That may be delayed this year.

When I was building the house years ago and had no clue about any of this, holy sh*t it was insane, they were just swarming everywhere during the Spring months that year.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived