Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh sweet!  I'm not sure I'm familiar with that one.  I'll have to look on a map where it is.  For some reason I thought Zoar's was the Deerfield max.

There's another fun thing to do on the river...some outfit there (or maybe multiple ones) rent these inflatable kayaks for unguided floats on tamer class 1 and 2 stuff.  That was a blast for a fun relaxing day on the river with plenty of swimming and floating too. 

https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/detail/id/681/#rapid1064

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh sweet!  I'm not sure I'm familiar with that one.  I'll have to look on a map where it is.  For some reason I thought Zoar's was the Deerfield max.

There's another fun thing to do on the river...some outfit there (or maybe multiple ones) rent these inflatable kayaks for unguided floats on tamer class 1 and 2 stuff.  That was a blast for a fun relaxing day on the river with plenty of swimming and floating too. 

Crabapple has the funyaks

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Very cool Ginx.  I did part of the Kennebec a couple of years ago. Great rush.  

Took the Kennebec trip twice.  1st time they were releasing 4,800 cfs and the big rapids in the upper gorge (above our lunch stop) were loads of fun, and so were the lesser rips below.  Guides steered for safety in the upper section, but aimed for the biggest bumps on the lower.  2nd time, a year later, the release was 8,400 and some of the upper rapids were class 5 (12' standing waves and back hydraulics) which the guides avoided.  The ones we hit were wild enough.  Lower gorge was just a fast float - all that water had drowned the lesser rips and we reached the takeout an hour faster than trip #1.

Not that anyone in Moderation cares ... but, I have resorted to completely disabling all notifications that the configuration in personal settings will allow me to disable... in an attempt to turn off this constant bombardment of trivial emails being sent to me every time some poster leans to a side to squeeze one off... 

Jesus... 

The odd thing is, I sifted thru them and turned of, strategically, those that most logically would control those emails and it actually worked... for about 5 days. Then, all the sudden, I got 10 or 12 of them this morning - it is as though the 'system' determined I was no longer getting them, then bi-passed the settings to make sure that I do?  wtf chuck -  whatever... 

We'll see if this works... The other option is to create some mickey mouse @ gofurself . com email address and see if the 'system' can find me then!   

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not that anyone in Moderation cares ... but, I have resorted to completely disabling all notifications that the configuration in personal settings will allow me to disable... in an attempt to turn off this constant bombardment of trivial emails being sent to me every time some poster leans to a side to squeeze one off... 

Jesus... 

The odd thing is, I sifted thru them and turned of, strategically, those that most logically would control those emails and it actually worked... for about 5 days. Then, all the sudden, I got 10 or 12 of them this morning - it is as though the 'system' determined I was no longer getting them, then bi-passed the settings to make sure that I do?  wtf chuck -  whatever... 

We'll see if this works... The other option is to create some mickey mouse @ gofurself . com email address and see if the 'system' can find me then!   

You're getting them too? wtf

I'll bring it up to John-wow.

38 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You're getting them too? wtf

I'll bring it up to John-wow.

Yeah...sorry to be a pest but it's actually getting worse.. 

just checked my gmail account and 9 has ballooned to 20 ... seems that if anyone posts anywhere it's sending out notices - i don't know if 'that' is true per se...but that fact that i've disabled anything that can move and its still happening and getting worse ... that's definitely a bug.. 

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Same here.  All clouds and little rain.  Where are the Bermuda Blues?  Thought that's what WAR is good for.

The expression "Bahama blues" was never intended to convey a percentage/expectation of cloud coverage.  The word 'blue' in that context, it wasn't meant to suggest one should expect clear - I suspect the reason for the confusion. 

It was invented, by me actually ... years ago when I first coined the expression, to describe a 'type' of blue tone that is associated with deep tropical transport to higher latitudes - the impetus being, unusual...  Hence, worth the defining.  We get deep blue unadulterated (by close approximation..) sky types from two sources, Canada, ...or this source from the tropical Atlantic. ..etc, etc...   

I've noticed a tendency for people to conflate that meaning with an expectation for sunny skies - that's not what that means.  Where the sky is open, the blue has a certain purity to it you do not tend to see with air masses that are loaded with aerosols and so forth from continental processing and contamination.  Perhaps another way to think of it...you don't tend to see that visceral blue tone at temperatures and dewpoints and atmospheric thickness' of these degrees and scale.   

Just thought I clarify...  The take away in a Bahama blue pattern is the set up.   And yesterday I saw plenty of that type of blue sky with brilliant sun in between classic tropical CU showers whisking by.  

41 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The expression "Bahama blues" was never intended to convey a percentage/expectation of cloud coverage.  The word 'blue' in that context, it wasn't meant to suggest one should expect clear - I suspect the reason for the confusion. 

It was invented, by me actually ... years ago when I first coined the expression, to describe a 'type' of blue tone that is associated with deep tropical transport to higher latitudes - the impetus being, unusual...  Hence, worth the defining.  We get deep blue unadulterated (by close approximation..) sky types from two sources, Canada, ...or this source from the tropical Atlantic. ..etc, etc...  

You came up with the Bahama Blues saying?!  I thought that had been around for a long time.  

To be honest it does seem to imply some sunshine and actually seeing the blue sky but I get what you mean.  

Sweet...got my senior research topic proposal approved! Going to be exploring the significance of the upper-level jet and northeast convective events. I know that sounds like a broad topic (as my adviser stated), however, I have it all laid out and this is something I've wanted to explore for years. I've had this idea generated from the numerous events we have had where instability looks good and shear is decent but as activity would progresses into southern New England it would begin to weaken or produce less in the way of severe weather. My idea is that this is due to the fact that the convection is being too far removed from the better upper-level jet dynamics and such. I will also be making note of events which may have been influenced by an EML or steep lapse rates associated with cold pools. This is going to be exciting! I've known I've wanted to do this as my topic for years and was really hoping to have already started but putting forth the time for that ASAP

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Sweet...got my senior research topic proposal approved! Going to be exploring the significance of the upper-level jet and northeast convective events. I know that sounds like a broad topic (as my adviser stated), however, I have it all laid out and this is something I've wanted to explore for years. I've had this idea generated from the numerous events we have had where instability looks good and shear is decent but as activity would progresses into southern New England it would begin to weaken or produce less in the way of severe weather. My idea is that this is due to the fact that the convection is being too far removed from the better upper-level jet dynamics and such. I will also be making note of events which may have been influenced by an EML or steep lapse rates associated with cold pools. This is going to be exciting! I've known I've wanted to do this as my topic for years and was really hoping to have already started but putting forth the time for that ASAP

Congrats!  Sounds like a fascinating scientific journey.   

As we have all noticed this over the years ... we probably have our own hypothesis.  These range from rational to irrational (ha!) ... but, I believe that the tendency to turn the llv advection term into a more S direction east of the elevations, particularly ...and this is important, as the mid level wind max is nosing over the eastern cordillera, that causes said S component to strengthen. 

In the high plains that is a good thing for increasing the 0-3km ...0-6km total helicity ...however, while increasing shear is important, crucially for our geographic circumstances...that direction mitigates SB CAPE by the great instability killer.

...The ocean...

The whole of that synoptic evolution has a toxicity to it.  I have noted over the years, ...from gazing at countless high resolution visible satellite loops between noon and sunset ...that depending on the wind direction, the CU field can be scoured out even when accompanying surface observation do not really reflect cool environment.   In other words, it may be 84/67 with TCU around Albany ... while Bedford over eastern Massachusetts will have shallow or no CU, at "nearly" the same temperature and dewpoint combination.  It seems from just these observation points ...any translation of air mass from New Jersey across the New York Bite region...over Long Island, and then over the Sound ... steals/mitigates critical instability.  

Some times this is more obvious ... other times, it is not - like in that paradigm above.  To those anxiously in wait of broken lines of severe ...crossing E from the Capital district down to White Plains (~) ... there is a "poof" axis that exists roughly ... NYC to SE VT to and points E.  In that region, it rarefies strong convective events, albeit ... not removing the potential for them altogether. 

Anyway, the idea is ... as the acceleration of the jet structures begin to pass over, they intensify the restoring low level southerly flow, and that draws more contamination from the marine boundary layer mixing with continental air off the Mid Atlantic.. and in marginally unstable scenarios, that may account for a lot of those failures ..by edging instability below situational thresholds. 

Amazing BB air mass out there! 

85/75 at the Davis' within a mile of home...  and occasionally, passing mist clouds.  There are a few crispy towers around the various horizons ..but it just seems like what's going on is that the atmosphere is about as loaded with moisture as it can be given the thermodynamics of the air mass, and just the slightest bump or wiggle sheds some of that moisture out of it...  

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Amazing BB air mass out there! 

85/75 at the Davis' within a mile of home...  and occasionally, passing mist clouds.  There are a few crispy towers around the various horizons ..but it just seems like what's going on is that the atmosphere is about as loaded with moisture as it can be given the thermodynamics of the air mass, and just the slightest bump or wiggle sheds some of that moisture out of it...  

Tropical downpour at home per wife