Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Did you guys yet learn of this ?  

North of 4,600 people were mortally lost, charged to Hurricane Maria, 2017 ?

I'm faaairly certain we'd have to dust off the annuls back to 1900 to find a U.S. centric-death toll from a hurricane storm catastrophe, with the Galveston disaster.  Sebastian Junger authored a well-written docudrama, "Isaac's Storm."  For those not entirely swept away in the feckless, vapid era of Tweets for twits erosion of society intellect ... I recommend that read.  Particularly as weather enthusiasts ...and professionals alike, it's enjoyable and informative. 

But ... I'm paused. For 117 years later, and humanity still had not learned the lessons from Galveston - a time span in which civilities, such as Puerto Rico among many ... , so blithely went ahead and constructed dense populations and all components necessary to sustain said populations. I mean .. we always knew this.  Hell, Long Island is probably next... or Miami, or New Orleans, both of which were technically actually missed by Andrew and Katrina respectively.   Imagine 20 years from now... when GW -induced oceanic rise has exceeded model predictions by a half foot post the "Great Greenland Slide.." and a Category 4 hurricane, maintained by unusually warm west Atlantic thermoclines... accelerates NNW right up Chesapeake Bay. What if Sandy was a Category 2 or 3 ... when it hooked left, and not to discredit the suffering at Sandy Hook ... but right into the NY Bite? 

The events that have transpired are dystopian horrible.  But ... they are not the hell on Earth that's in the mail. It is all a really arresting ... if not gasping concept. 

Well, that 4600 number was derived statistically by looking at a small sample and extrapolating...probably not hugely accurate, but def more in line with reality that the 65 or whatever were “officially” killed.  Pretty insane considering it was the US in 2017.  

Im guessing we will never know the “real” toll.   And you are so right that our civilization, or at least the US part, is lining up for some monster catastrophes.   Either a hurricane, or a Pacific coast volcanic deal, or an earthquake, or ...God help us...a Yellowstone caldera...

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

And Isaac’s Storm was Erik Larson (who is awesome btw).

Oh...right... I knew that.  My bad - sorry. 

I always get that "Perfect Storm" author mixed up with him... Probably because I read both books in the same year - ha.

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Well, that 4600 number was derived statistically by looking at a small sample and extrapolating...probably not hugely accurate, but def more in line with reality that the 65 or whatever were “officially” killed.  Pretty insane considering it was the US in 2017.  

Im guessing we will never know the “real” toll.   And you are so right that our civilization, or at least the US part, is lining up for some monster catastrophes.   Either a hurricane, or a Pacific coast volcanic deal, or an earthquake, or ...God help us...a Yellowstone caldera...

Yeah, I'm a bit taken aback by this weird ...almost like attempt to cover up something that is in plain sight that's going on in and from our Government - 

There are those who would argue we've reached a degenerative state of virtuosity and vapid morality in our society ... to where we've voted an actual kratocracy into power, and try and try and oh how I try not to throw my hands and cave to such histrionics, when we have to get it from third party statistical analysis techniques to expose what should already be house-hold concepts ... it becomes very difficult to maintain a centrist perspective on matters. 

33 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is one of the harder hit Oaks in yard by gypsies. Overall coverage less than last year , but some trees taking a hit . Kind of weird 

EA7FDGT.jpg

It will die,  might survive the season .  At least one of every five Oaks defoliated last year is dead . Here's one I took down this morning . 

17 minutes ago, kdxken said:

It will die,  might survive the season .  At least one of every five Oaks defoliated last year is dead . Here's one I took down this morning . 

Well this one has been partially eaten the last 3 years. But they haven’t totally defoliated it . It does have some dead branches. Still have a few more weeks of eating to go, but the population is much lower this year in general. I think on this tree the nests were up in the canopy . You’re a tree guy right.. does that partial eaten look now seem enough to kill it?

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well this one has been partially eaten the last 3 years. But they haven’t totally defoliated it . It does have some dead branches. Still have a few more weeks of eating to go, but the population is much lower this year in general. I think on this tree the nests were up in the canopy 

hoping the cold wet week will pump up the fungi and put a stop to them 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Ouch. Almost 70° even up here. In for the win. LEB/BML 73, HIE 75

Meh, in this sort of pattern ... SE zones are particularly vulnerable to the Labrador current - he may as well honey-glaze his one-eyed monster and probe the citadel of a killer bee hive where he is with respect to the ocean. 

71 here... actually maybe 2.3 F short of top 10er... I'll give it 11 as is -

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Did you guys yet learn of this ?  

North of 4,600 people were mortally lost, charged to Hurricane Maria, 2017 ?

I'm faaairly certain we'd have to dust off the annuls back to 1900 to find a U.S. centric-death toll from a hurricane storm catastrophe, with the Galveston disaster.  Sebastian Junger authored a well-written docudrama, "Isaac's Storm."  For those not entirely swept away in the feckless, vapid era of Tweets for twits erosion of society intellect ... I recommend that read.  Particularly as weather enthusiasts ...and professionals alike, it's enjoyable and informative. 

But ... I'm paused. For 117 years later, and humanity still had not learned the lessons from Galveston - a time span in which civilities, such as Puerto Rico among many ... , so blithely went ahead and constructed dense populations and all components necessary to sustain said populations. I mean .. we always knew this.  Hell, Long Island is probably next... or Miami, or New Orleans, both of which were technically actually missed by Andrew and Katrina respectively.   Imagine 20 years from now... when GW -induced oceanic rise has exceeded model predictions by a half foot post the "Great Greenland Slide.." and a Category 4 hurricane, maintained by unusually warm west Atlantic thermoclines... accelerates NNW right up Chesapeake Bay. What if Sandy was a Category 2 or 3 ... when it hooked left, and not to discredit the suffering at Sandy Hook ... but right into the NY Bite? 

The events that have transpired are dystopian horrible.  But ... they are not the hell on Earth that's in the mail. It is all a really arresting ... if not gasping concept. 

I wonder  what the real number of deaths in Texas were from Harvey? A woman I know in Greenfield has a nephew in the Texas National Guard and he claimed the death toll was in the hundreds but I thought the official count was only 70 or something.