• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Ha, all hyperbole aside I'm noticing some yellow (widely scattered) in the mid-slope elevations (like 1,800-2,500ft) on the east side of Mansfield.  Those spots start to see earlier shadows as the afternoon sun in the west starts to get blocked by the ridgelines in the lowering sun angle and I'm pretty sure that's what triggers them.  

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

If I look at every CT ASOS for JJA (which includes a decent June mind you), it's not even debatable. The hours spent above 70F dew are unprecedented. 

There was a graph of dews above 70F by hours at PWM that wasn't even remotely close to any other year since they started collecting that data.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

I've never seen this much squirrel roadkill on the highway before. It's like 5/mile.

Maybe Jerry knows what it means.

Here's my guess - huge acorn crop last fall so the bushytails had lots of food for winter and AN survival.  Then a May with no 3-day cutoff horrors to kill half of the first litter with pneumonia, leading to way AN squirrel-baby production, and it's the young and dumb that get hit most often.  Warm summer probably boosted food, and thus 2nd litter production, so a 2nd massacre after the one six weeks ago.

54 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I said scattered foliage, reading comprehension fail? Eating at Shake Shack. Long walk from parking, but it feels good to walk. No falls yet today.

I think it's stressed trees. The shoreline is going to be mostly green for about the next two months unless the pattern changes dramatically in the next few weeks.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

There was a graph of dews above 70F by hours at PWM that wasn't even remotely close to any other year since they started collecting that data.

Does the data go back past 1988?  Though that summer's total superdews are likely a lot less than this year, for a 2-week run I'd put 8/1-14/88 well above anything else I've experienced.  June-July that year were slightly AN (by 0.5° for 2 month period) and late August well BN.

10 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Does the data go back past 1988?  Though that summer's total superdews are likely a lot less than this year, for a 2-week run I'd put 8/1-14/88 well above anything else I've experienced.  June-July that year were slightly AN (by 0.5° for 2 month period) and late August well BN.

pwmdews.png

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, all hyperbole aside I'm noticing some yellow (widely scattered) in the mid-slope elevations (like 1,800-2,500ft) on the east side of Mansfield.  Those spots start to see earlier shadows as the afternoon sun in the west starts to get blocked by the ridgelines in the lowering sun angle and I'm pretty sure that's what triggers them.  

Yesterday I had to drive from my house in the Lakes Region up to Lancaster NH.  Took me through Franconia Notch.  Here and there I saw a few yellows but I couldn't discern any bonafided color change all the way up to treeline.  What I did notice was how much difference there is on the north side of the Whites in respect to upslope cloudiness.  Cool and overcast north and sunny and warm just to the south.

My Mother is visiting Alaska right now.  Will be in Denali National Park today.  Waiting to get a foliage report.  Most trees are evergreens up there but from what I read peak in the park is around the first of September.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yesterday I had to drive from my house in the Lakes Region up to Lancaster NH.  Took me through Franconia Notch.  Here and there I saw a few yellows but I couldn't discern any bonafided color change all the way up to treeline.  What I did notice was how much difference there is on the north side of the Whites in respect to upslope cloudiness.  Cool and overcast north and sunny and warm just to the south.

My Mother is visiting Alaska right now.  Will be in Denali National Park today.  Waiting to get a foliage report.  Most trees are evergreens up there but from what I read peak in the park is around the first of September.

I was in Rocky Mountain National Park in mid-September a couple years ago and it was peak foliage there at the time.  Alaska does have deciduous trees like Aspens and Birches among others so there should be some foliage to see.  It's like 98% yellow but I guess it qualifies as foliage, just nothing like New England.

Seriously, how many ways can you make an IPA. I think it's getting old the number of breweries that have their "own" IPA. For me, its all starting to taste the same

Tree House is very good but not life changing. So far I've had Julius, Bright, and Hurricane with Hurricane being my favorite of the three. Best NE IPA I've ever had was from Other Half in Brooklyn and these don't top it. 

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Man, what a late summer night. Grilling, fam getting typsy, kids and dogs running around....all in perfect weather....this is what we live for, great coc timing.

Hope everyone is enjoying this weekend, summer is coming to a close.

Quoted for posterity when your AC is humming into Oct and fam still out playing, you tipsy, leaves weeks late even though the valley is at peak now , and the nao and ao are raging hard positive. Got a long long long way to go to fall mi amigo 

4 hours ago, DomNH said:

Tree House is very good but not life changing. So far I've had Julius, Bright, and Hurricane with Hurricane being my favorite of the three. Best NE IPA I've ever had was from Other Half in Brooklyn and these don't top it. 

Glad you liked and enjoyed. Other half is decent but nowhere near TH quality . Of the 3 you named my order has Julius first and Bright last 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Quoted for posterity when your AC is humming into Oct and fam still out playing, you tipsy, leaves weeks late even though the valley is at peak now , and the nao and ao are raging hard positive. Got a long long long way to go to fall mi amigo 

Pretty sure he talking about it being labor day weekend,  the end of his summer. 

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You're such an idiot, it's hardly worth responding to your stupid posts. Where did I say the valley is at peak dumbass.

I was taking a look at that Iowa State site to look at other parameters instead of just hours spent at at or above the 70° Dp look at the number of days that level was achieved because the hours are not consecutive.  Looking at it that way you can see how this summer compares to others particularly since there are so many variables.  This also shows more summers going back to the 50s.

Take a look at these graphs for August, July and then the summer as a whole.  You can clearly see how this August stands out both in terms of hours spent above a 70° Dp but also number of days.  I'm using BDL for argument sake but you can use any other site by changing the parameters:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?_wait=no&q=161&network=CT_ASOS&zstation=BDL&var=max_dwpf&dir=aoa&thres=70&month=summer&year=2018&dpi=100&_fmt=js

You can also see how this August compares to July 2013 and how the summer as a whole compares to past ones.  1994 seems to take the cake with nearly half of the days registering a 70° Dp but this summer is not that far behind.  You can also see that this kind of summer is far from being the "summer of yore".

August.png

July.png

Summer.png