Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was looking at several stations around southern New England and the amount of hours spent above 70° dewpoint blows anything out of the water. 

Yeah...I really don’t care about persistent 65F dews. This summer has been overbearing with the 70-75F+ mank. 

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...I really don’t care about persistent 65F dews. This summer has been overbearing with the 70-75F+ mank. 

If I look at every CT ASOS for JJA (which includes a decent June mind you), it's not even debatable. The hours spent above 70F dew are unprecedented. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If I look at every CT ASOS for JJA (which includes a decent June mind you), it's not even debatable. The hours spent above 70F dew are unprecedented. 

Where are you looking that you can see hours spent at or above a certain level?  I'd like to compare that to July 2013.

If the data is there I have no problem admitting that but when I look at 30 straight days where the temperature never went below 68° and with many of those days only bottoming out in the low 70s and then I look at this year and see breaks in the high humidity, I think arguments could be made either way.

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

Where are you looking that you can see hours spent at or above a certain level?  I'd like to compare that to July 2013.

If the data is there I have no problem admitting that but when I look at 30 straight days where the temperature never went below 68° and with many of those days only bottoming out in the low 70s and then I look at this year and see breaks in the high humidity, I think arguments could be made either way.

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?q=159

I picked JJA for a representation since June wasn't oppressive. 

For July, BDR in 2013 beats 2018....BDL, 2013 just surpasses 2018..But for DXR..2018 crushes it. So some variety it seems. Also, I believe the error or variance with dewpoints reported probably has a higher standard deviation of error...thus giving some differences in results. Even if not error....environmental and geography can locally effect the results.

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

https://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/plotting/auto/?q=159

I picked JJA for a representation since June wasn't oppressive. 

He lives in a little valley between hills and radiates . Those localized areas can always cool and drop dews due to oragraphics. Whereas Hill tops never cooled or dew downed 

I will say that that if you look at the number of hours of 70+ dp's at BDL for JJA this year blows past years away.  Then again, the data set only goes back to 1973.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

For July, BDR in 2013 beats 2018....BDL, 2013 just surpasses 2018..But for DXR..2018 crushes it. So some variety it seems. Also, I believe the error or variance with dewpoints reported probably has a higher standard deviation of error...thus giving some differences in results. Even if not error....environmental and geography can locally effect the results.

August at BDL beats July 2013 by a little bit.  I think therein lies why this year would be special - having back to back months under the same regime.  Thankfully we got some breaks but I do think that stretch in July 2013 is impressive in it's own right.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

He lives in a little valley between hills and radiates . Those localized areas can always cool and drop dews due to oragraphics. Whereas Hill tops never cooled or dew downed 

lol..we're talking about BDL.  Besides, I don't live in a valley.  How many times do I have to tell you that?  I live on a hillside.  The valley is below me and the hills are above me.

16 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I will say that that if you look at the number of hours of 70+ dp's at BDL for JJA this year blows past years away.  Then again, the data set only goes back to 1973.

August at BDL beats July 2013 by a little bit.  I think therein lies why this year would be special - having back to back months under the same regime.  Thankfully we got some breaks but I do think that stretch in July 2013 is impressive in it's own right.

Yeah it’s defintely not hyperbole. This stretch has been brutal. Hopefully next summer is cooler if nino is still around.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I've never seen this much squirrel roadkill on the highway before. It's like 5/mile.

Maybe Jerry knows what it means.

Okay,  this is very weird.  I started noticing this too.  Actually in the spring.  So many squirrels and chipmunks.  Every morning I make my 6 mile trek to Duncan Donuts in Bristol NH and back.  I started a dear squirrel count in my head.  Up to about 50 squirrels. I don't count chipmunks, racoons and other animals.  The numbers are really increasing in the recent weeks but I think its because acorns are easy to see on the roads.  It's a massacre out there.  

41 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Okay,  this is very weird.  I started noticing this too.  Actually in the spring.  So many squirrels and chipmunks.  Every morning I make my 6 mile trek to Duncan Donuts in Bristol NH and back.  I started a dear squirrel count in my head.  Up to about 50 squirrels. I don't count chipmunks, racoons and other animals.  The numbers are really increasing in the recent weeks but I think its because acorns are easy to see on the roads.  It's a massacre out there.  

So 50 dead squirrels in 6 miles.  Coincidentally that is the same  as the number of Dunkin Donuts in that same stretch.