Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They don’t bias high. They are measuring their environment. Just like tarmacs measure their dry, asphalt environments.

There's another forum where we're discussing how the Davis sensors run about 2F too high over dews. I'm using one not made my Davis that has been running more in line with the Sensirion specs.

Earlier this month we went to the Grand Canyon and did the Skywalk.  They don't let you take your own photos, you have to buy them from one of their photographers.  Like a sucker, we paid the $65.  Lot of money on top of the $82 each it cost us to go out on it but I think it was worth it.  They threw in some generic pics as well as the ones they took of us.

4T5A3243 (2).JPG

15 SNOW DAY.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Huh?   Start after Labor Day and end 6/20ish.  Try not to call school for bs events.  Interesting after the 1960-61 winter my school district in NNJ added 5 xtra days the following year to account for snow days.  If you didn’t use them you still had to go to school!

Same at my school, then they used none in 61-62 as we never got a storm over 6". 
60-61 was a bit different:  2 days from the Dec 12-13 blizzard, a dumb half day the following Fri (quick 2" but sun was coming out as we boarded the buses), 1 day for the JFK inaugural storm, thanks to its arriving on a Thursday evening, one in early Feb, on Monday after a Fri-Sat storm (NYC canceled that whole week), and another half day in late March when a forecast of 1-3 sloppy inches morphed into a dense 6-12, most coming 9-noon.  Only time I walked the 5+ miles from HS, as our bus never showed.  That doesn't include Monday 1/16, when 1/3" ZR on Sunday turned to 6" SN overnight.  Maybe they knew what was soon to come and gutted that one out.  That winter convinced dad to buy a snowblower (antiquated single stage with metal wheels), which didn't encounter a real snowstorm until Jan 1964.

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Does anyone know Excel well?

I'm using excel to find lower and higher quartiles and technically you have to have the data from lowest to highest (when doing this stuff by hand). But do you need this to be the case in excel or does it not matter if the data isn't lowest to highest?  

Just input the data, excel can sort in any way you like afterwards.

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Does anyone know Excel well?

I'm using excel to find lower and higher quartiles and technically you have to have the data from lowest to highest (when doing this stuff by hand). But do you need this to be the case in excel or does it not matter if the data isn't lowest to highest?  

Excel will take the data any way you have it and find the highest of lowest values.  It doesn't need to be sorted like that.  I have my entire weather record in Excel and have many cases where I need to know the highest or lowest values in a range.  It doesn't matter how the range is laid out - it will find the highest or lowest values.

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Just input the data, excel can sort in any way you like afterwards.

Just now, MetHerb said:

Excel will take the data any way you have it and find the highest of lowest values.  It doesn't need to be sorted like that.  I have my entire weather record in Excel and have many cases where I need to know the highest or lowest values in a range.  It doesn't matter how the range is laid out - it will find the highest or lowest values.

Thanks...this is what I figured but these newer updates get me all confused and some things I know are a bit different. Now they have all these different standardized options. I originally had used the STDEV.P function which I guess will still apply here. I'm going to take an online course in excel lol 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

Thanks...this is what I figured but these newer updates get me all confused and some things I know are a bit different. Now they have all these different standardized options. I originally had used the STDEV.P function which I guess will still apply here. I'm going to take an online course in excel lol 

Ah, I thought you were a complete excel moroon. Yea what MetHerb said.

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Ah, I thought you were a complete excel moroon. Yea what MetHerb said.

well I sort of am lol. I knew it a bit more back like 15 years ago when I was in high school but then after high school I never used it and fell behind the 8-ball with all the additional features and such. I got back into it around 2011 when I started doing stuff with tornado data and I had things figured out but then I got away from it for some years when I went back to school and I completely forgotten everything I had done lol. 

Basically what I'm doing is inputting tornado data for the month of March and doing several "climo" period breakdowns...1950-1965 is one of them. So I'll take the average of this period, use the STDEV.P function to get a standardized value, then I can take a monthly value, subtract it from the average and divide by the STDEV.P value and that nets the standard deviation...at least I hope this is correct.