Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Been a marvelous stretch this past week which we would occur through today. Couple days of heat is bearable when more coc arrives for the weekend. 

idk...this afternoon through Wed is a little too excessive for me. The cool down is a bit of a dew drop/mild down, but the heat will be right back in here. The euro op is right back to major torch d8-9.

Kenny Chesney show at Gillette was off the hook good last night. Last show of the tour. Brothers Osbourn walked by us by at TB 12 they were great. Dirk Bentley put on a fantastic show.All day tail gating then the show. Talent at country concerts is wow. Perfect day and cool at night. Got out of the parking lot with zero delay. 

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idk...this afternoon through Wed is a little too excessive for me. The cool down is a bit of a dew drop/mild down, but the heat will be right back in here. The euro op is right back to major torch d8-9.

EPS is a roller coaster of torch and Coc. We heat we cool we heat we cool

7 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Kenny Chesney show at Gillette was off the hook good last night. Last show of the tour. Brothers Osbourn walked by us by at TB 12 they were great. Dirk Bentley put on a fantastic show.All day tail gating then the show. Talent at country concerts is wow. Perfect day and cool at night. Got out of the parking lot with zero delay. 

I haven't gone to a country show in a decade but did see Chesney down at some place in SE MA (not Gillette).... and you are right, country show talent is better than any other type of music.  By far.

With the last few days of August and met summer upon us I looked back to see how this summer compared to other humid summers I have on record and was kind of surprised how humid some past summers were.  Using a minimum temperature of 65° as a base, I keep track of the number of days in which the low is 65° or higher and so far this year I have 25 - but I know I'm going to add several over the next few mornings.

I've seen 1988 mentioned as benchmark and that year I had 19 days with a low 65° or higher so this year beats that year hands down.  It looks like my benchmark year is 2013 where I had 37 such days.  That includes an incredible 30 day stretch from late June to late July that I didn't go under 65°.  The longest stretch this summer was 7 days.  I had several stretches of 5 days but they were broken up.

If I look at a higher threshold of say 70°+,  I had 10 such days in 2013 and 3 this year.

Based on my electric bills and stretches where I've had to run the AC continuously, it's been a pretty hot & humid summer but it's interesting how it compares to summers in the past - at least for me.

I think the humidity is what really stands out, especially July and August. We had a nice break in mid July, and June was nice. But other than that..it's been 70+dews. Almost like feast or famine. Either oppressive as all hell, or dews in 50s. But no doubt the humidity will be remembered. It does not help that the "upstream" source has also been plagued with so much rain. We have evapotranspiration up the whazoo there. I'm sure that has aided in this airmass. 

21 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

With the last few days of August and met summer upon us I looked back to see how this summer compared to other humid summers I have on record and was kind of surprised how humid some past summers were.  Using a minimum temperature of 65° as a base, I keep track of the number of days in which the low is 65° or higher and so far this year I have 25 - but I know I'm going to add several over the next few mornings.

I've seen 1988 mentioned as benchmark and that year I had 19 days with a low 65° or higher so this year beats that year hands down.  It looks like my benchmark year is 2013 where I had 37 such days.  That includes an incredible 30 day stretch from late June to late July that I didn't go under 65°.  The longest stretch this summer was 7 days.  I had several stretches of 5 days but they were broken up.

If I look at a higher threshold of say 70°+,  I had 10 such days in 2013 and 3 this year.

Based on my electric bills and stretches where I've had to run the AC continuously, it's been a pretty hot & humid summer but it's interesting how it compares to summers in the past - at least for me.

2013 stands out in my mind for that oppressive stretch and then the pattern change end of July

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think the humidity is what really stands out, especially July and August. We had a nice break in mid July, and June was nice. But other than that..it's been 70+dews. Almost like feast or famine. Either oppressive as all hell, or dews in 50s. But no doubt the humidity will be remembered. It does not help that the "upstream" source has also been plagued with so much rain. We have evapotranspiration up the whazoo there. I'm sure that has aided in this airmass. 

I agree...it's certainly felt that way.  That's why I was kind of surprised when I looked at the empirical data.  I was sure that some of the stretches we had at the end of July/early August were going to set some kind of stretches but when I compared them to 2013 - at least at my station - it wasn't as bad.  I think where this summer stands out is the longevity of the pattern from July straight through August with generally humid conditions whereas 2013 was basically centered around that 30 day stretch.