Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

12 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Not all liquid sugars are equal.  You can't compare honey and maple syrup to high fructose corn syrup.  Besides, there's several flaws in some of the studies cited.  The digestive process is different for liquids and solids.  They try to act like they are equal. 

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Use natural/raw sugar, if you’re going to sweet things up at all. And the downside of liquid sugar isn’t the extra calories, I see plenty of skinny people pound a pepsi. It’s all the other things that have been scientifically proven to negavtively impact the body and mind. You still in college chasing little girls, I get it, you feel indestructible....but life creeps on you hard and fast when you hit your 30s. 

You also need to avoid artificial sweeteners because it tricks the body and wreaks havoc with your body.  If you're gonna use a sweetener, it might as well be a natural one. 

20 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Not all liquid sugars are equal.  You can't compare honey and maple syrup to high fructose corn syrup.  Besides, there's several flaws in some of the studies cited.  The digestive process is different for liquids and solids.  They try to act like they are equal. 

You also need to avoid artificial sweeteners because it tricks the body and wreaks havoc with your body.  If you're gonna use a sweetener, it might as well be a natural one. 

Agree on all accounts, thanks for clarifying.

There are flaws in every study and new research can contradict previous. We just need to use our best judgement, understand that not every news article stating what is good or bad for us is accurate or scientifically proven... and take care of ourselves with common sense.

5 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Use natural/raw sugar, if you’re going to sweet things up at all. And the downside of liquid sugar isn’t the extra calories, I see plenty of skinny people pound a pepsi. It’s all the other things that have been scientifically proven to negavtively impact the body and mind. You still in college chasing little girls, I get it, you feel indestructible....but life creeps on you hard and fast when you hit your 30s. 

Trust me this isn't true :lol:

I'll be 30 in October but I've known for a while I really need to improve dieting and such. Once I finish school when all I really have to worry about is work. But I have also been switching to French Vanilla creamer when I make my own coffee and with this I don't add any sugar. But it's not a bad idea to can the liquid sugar. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Hawaii Big Island, in big trouble.

Crazy rain. Has to have a shot to take down Harvey right? 

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
443 AM HST SAT AUG 25 2018

...LANE PRODUCES TORRENTIAL RAINFALL OVER THE BIG ISLAND...
HILO AIRPORT MEASURED 31.85 INCHES OF RAIN FOR THE THREE DAY PERIOD
RUNNING FROM 12 MIDNIGHT HST AUGUST 22 THROUGH 1159 PM HST AUGUST
24. THIS BECOMES THE WETTEST THREE DAY PERIOD EVER OBSERVED AT HILO, 
WITH RECORDS DATING BACK TO 1949. HILO ALSO MEASURED 15.00 INCHES
OF RAIN ON AUGUST 24, WHICH WAS THE FIFTH WETTEST CALENDAR DAY ON
RECORD.

HERE ARE SOME OF THE NOTABLE RAINFALL TOTALS FROM THE ONGOING
EVENT, COVERING THE TIME PERIOD FROM NOON HST AUGUST 22 THROUGH 
4 AM HST AUGUST 25. ALL VALUES ARE IN INCHES, AND ARE PRELIMINARY
PENDING FINAL QUALITY CONTROL.

ISLAND OF HAWAII
WAIAKEA UKA                : 45.80
PIIHONUA                   : 44.68
SADDLE QUARRY (USGS)       : 41.87
WAIAKEA EXPERIMENT STATION : 41.15

Full statement here. https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201808251443-PHFO-NOHW40-PNSHFO

52 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Crazy rain. Has to have a shot to take down Harvey right? 

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
443 AM HST SAT AUG 25 2018

...LANE PRODUCES TORRENTIAL RAINFALL OVER THE BIG ISLAND...

HILO AIRPORT MEASURED 31.85 INCHES OF RAIN FOR THE THREE DAY PERIOD
RUNNING FROM 12 MIDNIGHT HST AUGUST 22 THROUGH 1159 PM HST AUGUST
24. THIS BECOMES THE WETTEST THREE DAY PERIOD EVER OBSERVED AT HILO, 
WITH RECORDS DATING BACK TO 1949. HILO ALSO MEASURED 15.00 INCHES
OF RAIN ON AUGUST 24, WHICH WAS THE FIFTH WETTEST CALENDAR DAY ON
RECORD.

HERE ARE SOME OF THE NOTABLE RAINFALL TOTALS FROM THE ONGOING
EVENT, COVERING THE TIME PERIOD FROM NOON HST AUGUST 22 THROUGH 
4 AM HST AUGUST 25. ALL VALUES ARE IN INCHES, AND ARE PRELIMINARY
PENDING FINAL QUALITY CONTROL.

ISLAND OF HAWAII
WAIAKEA UKA                : 45.80
PIIHONUA                   : 44.68
SADDLE QUARRY (USGS)       : 41.87
WAIAKEA EXPERIMENT STATION : 41.15

Full statement here. https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=201808251443-PHFO-NOHW40-PNSHFO

Surely there is some un-gauged, remote gulch that is pushing 60”

Terrain influences are so big out there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Cuz you're old.  Old guys only drink hot coffee.  

:o

I only drink hot. In my defense I just started drinking it a little over a year ago.

Started with cream and one sugar, but quickly learned I don’t need the sugar. I prefer some type of milk, but Black is no problem.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Sounds like this may be a criminal offense.

:lol:

I'm in a pickle right now. I was doing my senior research project on upper-level jet dynamics and Northeast severe weather but I was thinking of perhaps switching to something I was working on with tornadoes but I don't want to do anything that's going to be stupid or wrong. I had been doing a little something (which I started like 7 years ago) about quantifying tornadoes and determining what constitutes as an active or inactive season. I have computed averages and standard deviations using the following periods; 1950 - Present, 1950-1991 average, 1992- Present average, and then I did 15-year intervals...1950-1964, 1960-1974, 1970-1984, 1980-1994, 1990-2004, 2000-2014. Let's say I choose to right now focus on like 1990-2004...I was just wanted to make sure it's not incorrect to compare like 1998 to that 1990-2004 average

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

So you want to compare an active year with a range that includes that year which is already a relatively small sample size? If you've already worked on a larger sample, why are you choosing 1990-2004? Is there cherry picking going on here?

I'm not necessarily choosing that specific time frame...it was more of just for an example context. I'm just trying to figure out how I would go about this in the most accurate way possible. 

What I was thinking of doing was use the data I've calculated for all the baseline periods (I also have the calculations of comparing a single year to the averages) and then just construct a list of most active years and least active years (but in this case season is year because I'm just doing seasons right now). 

So say I do like March of 1965. March of 1965 had 34 confirmed tornadoes. 

The March 1950 - Present average is 50 and standardized number was 27.6436

So comparing March of 1965 to the 1950 - present average that March was -0.58 standard deviations below average. Then I could just compare March of 65 for all the other periods. 

The point would be to just look at teleconnections/patterns and such and comparing active vs. inactive periods.

4 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My theory is this. If you have to eat junk or want some Pepsi or something, you are better off just drinking the real thing. You aren’t doing yourself any favors by drinking diet soda or anything 

Diet soda is probably one of the worst things that are out there. A friend of mine's mom had a heart attack several years back and the doctors attributed it directly to diet coke. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Surely there is some un-gauged, remote gulch that is pushing 60”

Terrain influences are so big out there.

I love the orographic influences.  Knowing how localized it can be on our relatively small terrain in New England...getting some big mountains together with a tropical storm and fetch off the ocean...that's a solid QPF dream for some point location.

Beer-very rare for me-maybe once a year.  I take the approach of total abstinence from alcohol about 80% of the time and drink what I want during the other 20%.  Coffee?  Disdain dunkin but will drink it if I must.  Hot most of the time but often have cold during the summer.  I grind my own 365 French roast from Whole Foods.  $10.99 per 24 oz.  

Sometimes I break away and go to Caffe Nero but I admit to being a fan of Starbucks.  I experienced it in Seattle 30 years ago and got hooked.

Big heat this week.  Hot again by late next weekend.  Changes my azz....

6 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The best are large people ordering a number #5, super size...with a diet coke.

Many years ago the café at work offered a hot dog special on Mondays....2 hot dogs, fries and a drink. A woman at work would order 2 of the specials....4 dogs,2 fries and 2 diet cokes.....

.LONG TERM /MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY/...

*/ Highlights...

- Heat and humidity Tuesday and Wednesday ... headlines likely -
Sweeping cold front Wednesday night into Thursday -
Relief possible Friday / Saturday - Potential for heat and humidity to return early next week */

Overview... End of August heat and humidity. Pattern amplification aided by up- stream tropical activity, subsequent SW-NE heat pump via SW CONUS out ahead of preferred, deep H5 W CONUS trof. Atlantic ridge builds. Surface temperatures back up into the 90s along with dewpoints in the 70s. Oppressive environment. Pattern breaks as upstream energy digs N?E, a trailing, sweeping cold front late week with potential relief into the weekend. However uncertain, pattern possibly reloads the following week with return of heat and humidity. Confidence and forecast thinking within the discussion below.

7 hours ago, weathafella said:

Beer-very rare for me-maybe once a year.  I take the approach of total abstinence from alcohol about 80% of the time and drink what I want during the other 20%.  Coffee?  Disdain dunkin but will drink it if I must.  Hot most of the time but often have cold during the summer.  I grind my own 365 French roast from Whole Foods.  $10.99 per 24 oz.  

Sometimes I break away and go to Caffe Nero but I admit to being a fan of Starbucks.  I experienced it in Seattle 30 years ago and got hooked.

Big heat this week.  Hot again by late next weekend.  Changes my azz....

I typically drink 1 cup of Green Mountain Sumatra or some similar dark roast from the Keurig.   Sometimes I will get an iced later in the day, but that is less than once per week, if that.

I gave up soda around 4 years ago, except at Epcot where I will partake of The Beverly.

Beverly is life