Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

43 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Random but do you think it's unreasonable to think that some portions of the Hawaiian Islands could see potential winds gusts of 75-90 mph with Lane? (Assuming something like the GFS pans out). 

You’ve been full of random questions lately. But yes, James, high winds are possible bringing down coconuts and pineapples...adjust your tropical fruit purchases.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Haven’t even looked. I’ll take a peak soon.

Cool! I really need to like learn tropical forecasting and gain confidence in that very quickly. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You’ve been full of random questions lately. But yes, James, high winds are possible bringing down coconuts and pineapples...adjust your tropical fruit purchases.

:lol: 

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

I just started reporting my data this summer.  Am I supposed to report on days with no measurable precip?  I did it on the handful of days when there was measurable precip in the county, but none IMBY.  Curious about the days when the radar was clear all day.

Cocorahs wants reports each day, wet or dry.  They can't always tell when a non-report is a no-precip report, or merely observer oversight. 
That "always" is italicized because the site has some fact checkers.  One morning when I awoke to dry grass and never checked the gauge, I got an email questioning my 0.00" while nearby sites reported a tenth or two.  Afternoon check (with no precip between) found 0.13" - good catch by the auditors.

August 1955 at BDL had 21.30".  2nd place 2011 way back at 11.67".
Edit:  Ryan's write-up has 21.87".  (My numbers came from Utah Climate Center.)

Random but do you think it's unreasonable to think that some portions of the Hawaiian Islands could see potential winds gusts of 75-90 mph with Lane? (Assuming something like the GFS pans out). 

Morning check of Wunderground (even though their hurricane/TS site has become wonky to the point of total frustration since TWC stepped in) showed a northward bend in the day 4-5 track.  If that verifies, the Islands might be in play, especially Kauai.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ma blizzard said:

800px-Connie1955rain.gif

diane1955filledrainblk.gif

It's interesting that NE got that much rain out of Connie with that track. Given the typical structure when a cane comes up this way, you'd expect most of the heavy rain to the west. I think Bob barely dropped any rain out towards the Cape.

EDIT: I see Ryan addressed this in his blog. Stalled front over CT with significant convergence. 

2 minutes ago, Hoth said:

It's interesting that NE got that much rain out of Connie with that track. Given the typical structure when a cane comes up this way, you'd expect most of the heavy rain to the west. I think Bob barely dropped any rain out towards the Cape.

I think both storms had gone mainly ET well before reaching 40 North.  I can't remember any serious wind from either at my (then) NNJ home, where we got 5" or so from Connie and escaped with about 2" from Diane.  Bob retained TC character a lot farther north.  We lived a few miles south of Augusta then, and that's the only TC of my experience in which the backside winds were near/at the same speed as front side, though 90%+ of precip came before the wind shift.  It was odd seeing blowdowns with trees pointed in opposite directions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

I just started reporting my data this summer.  Am I supposed to report on days with no measurable precip?  I did it on the handful of days when there was measurable precip in the county, but none IMBY.  Curious about the days when the radar was clear all day.

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Cocorahs wants reports each day, wet or dry.  They can't always tell when a non-report is a no-precip report, or merely observer oversight. 
That "always" is italicized because the site has some fact checkers.  One morning when I awoke to dry grass and never checked the gauge, I got an email questioning my 0.00" while nearby sites reported a tenth or two.  Afternoon check (with no precip between) found 0.13" - good catch by the auditors.

Tamarack is right, ideally you want to report a precipitation number every day, 0.00” or otherwise.  With that said, I often don’t report immediately on obvious zero precipitation days if I’m busy (it’s a 365 day a year job, so I don’t mind skipping some zero days and filling them back in later on the monthly zeroes chart).  I’ve never been contacted by the auditors, so presumably they know what’s going on.  I assume that’s what the monthly zeroes chart is for anyway, and I typically update that the next time I’m reporting precipitation.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Hurricanes are extremely rare for HI. No records of a cane within 65 miles of Maui or Honolulu, ever. So this would be a big deal for them if it comes closer than projected.

I seem to remember hearing about one in back in the 60's.  Maybe it wasn't a hurricane, only a tropical storm.  There was at least one ship that was lost at sea

• Like 2
  • Haha 1