Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You can just tell the sun is losing its oomph. Past 930am and still sitting at 72F at home despite mixed sun and clouds and a warm launching pad of 67F.

14 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I agree. Summer is beginning to have that mid to late August feel to it. 

ASOUT

Why am I attached to this? We cool and dew down early next week and then more to come later on in month. Only fly in ointment is the whole typhoon WPAC interaction which may try to sneak troughs in here at that time. Weeklies still seem rather warm from an anomaly standpoint through 9/10.

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wasn't the end of Sept 2017 pretty gross or am I thinking a previous year?

torched in my hood for a week

2017-09-23 82 62 72.0 10.0 0 7 0.00 0.0 0
2017-09-24 86 60 73.0 11.4 0 8 0.00 0.0 0
2017-09-25 84 63 73.5 12.3 0 9 T 0.0 0
2017-09-26 82 66 74.0 13.2 0 9 0.00 0.0 0
2017-09-27 84 65 74.5 14.1 0 10 0.00 0.0 0
2017-09-28 81 57 69.0 9.0

19 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

I am not disagreeing on that at all. Winter has always had the most variance when you look at North America, and more so the northeast. You get winds off the ocean at any point and you can jump to 50+, on the flip side you can get colder than cold with a dry cold wind from the north. And higher humidity of the summer months does tend to stabilize temperatures. Dry air is easier to cool and heat. All I was pointing out is in our state of the climate it is much easier to string together above normal months and weeks versus stringing together below average months and weeks. 

Agreed, though I might leave out "much" for weeks, as I think the high-to-low ratios are less pronounced for that shorter period.  In my short-term (starting with June 1998) records, there have been runs of 6+ consecutive AN months several times and, without checking, I don't think there's been any that long for BN months.  (Have to check winter 2002-03 and shoulders, off-hand the best candidate.)

Edit:  Bad guess on my part.  I've had 4 BN streaks of 6+ (all are 8 months) and 4 AN (7,7,8,9.)  Take it with a bucketload of salt, however.  The nearby co-op has recorded temps during my period of record that run 1.2° milder (from 0.2 in June to 2.3 in January) than their 1981-2010 norms, so their AN-streak advantage would be considerably greater than mine.

She got lucky.  The poison in mushrooms will not tarnish silver.  People have died from this mistake

Had a friend who was a skilled mycologist (he's since deceased, but not from mushrooms), and his fungus-testing quip was, "Take a bite and wait 15 minutes.  If you begin to feel dizzy, don't eat any more."  That would work fine with some deadly species for which symptoms don't appear until 6+ hours after consumption.

19 minutes ago, tamarack said:

She got lucky.  The poison in mushrooms will not tarnish silver.  People have died from this mistake

Had a friend who was a skilled mycologist (he's since deceased, but not from mushrooms), and his fungus-testing quip was, "Take a bite and wait 15 minutes.  If you begin to feel dizzy, don't eat any more."  That would work fine with some deadly species for which symptoms don't appear until 6+ hours after consumption.

There are old mushroom eaters and bold mushroom eaters but very few old, bold mushroom eaters. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

my symptoms always took about a half hour when I ate shrooms

Yes and they persist for a good 6-8 hours. Symptoms include but not limited to....lots of laughter and childish like behavior with a great appreciation for the smallest of physical and mental features by highlighting a euphoric insight into your personal world. Eating with close friends or family is highly recommended. Item not approved by the FDA. Do not give to children, or mentally unstable adults without proper supervision. 

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Agreed, though I might leave out "much" for weeks, as I think the high-to-low ratios are less pronounced for that shorter period.  In my short-term (starting with June 1998) records, there have been runs of 6+ consecutive AN months several times and, without checking, I don't think there's been any that long for BN months.  (Have to check winter 2002-03 and shoulders, off-hand the best candidate.)

Edit:  Bad guess on my part.  I've had 4 BN streaks of 6+ (all are 8 months) and 4 AN (7,7,8,9.)  Take it with a bucketload of salt, however.  The nearby co-op has recorded temps during my period of record that run 1.2° milder (from 0.2 in June to 2.3 in January) than their 1981-2010 norms, so their AN-streak advantage would be considerably greater than mine.

are those shrooms in the lawn that look like puff balls and "smoke" when u step on them dangerous?