• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Finally got some rain yesterday and last night.   .40" last night and .55" yesterday.   That brings me up to 1.09" for the past week,   2" for the first half of August  and 9.3" over the last 3 1/2 months..   Pond is still 100% empty but at least I am running normal precip for the first half of August.  Just snapped this picture of our pond.  Outflow is at the top.  It's about 9 feet deep when full

pond.jpg

7 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I agree I wouldn't feel "hot" or "cold" with those temps, but such is climatology. Hence why people will sunbath on a college campus in April at 60 degrees, but not in October at 60 degrees. I don't disagree with you that it is easier to be double digits below average in the winter than double digits above in the summer (high humidity plays a role in limiting extreme positive departures). However, I do disagree that it is easier to be double digits below for any week in any part of the year, especially in the winter. Recent climatology has shown that we can easily torch in winter months (only have to go back to last February). We set record highs and record low highs at a faster pace than record lows. 

In 20 years here I've recorded 22 days in January at least 20° AN and one day in July that almost reached 15° AN.  BN days are even more skewed, with one 15° BN day in July and a dozen at least 25° BN in January, perhaps 30 making 20° BN (that stat needs some updating.)  Average departures, AN/BN, are much greater in winter than in summer.

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Wish I knew how to differentiate shrooms. I know chicken of the woods (penale) but thats it

We get them every year on what passes for my lawn.  Just a bigger amount this year.

The third storm (really part of the second) actually only fringed us.

Could be more in the pipeline.

8 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Finally got some rain yesterday and last night.   .40" last night and .55" yesterday.   That brings me up to 1.09" for the past week,   2" for the first half of August  and 9.3" over the last 3 1/2 months..   Pond is still 100% empty but at least I am running normal precip for the first half of August.

Looks like at least 4” here since Saturday.  Athol, MA got 4”+ just in one storm

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

In 20 years here I've recorded 22 days in January at least 20° AN and one day in July that almost reached 15° AN.  BN days are even more skewed, with one 15° BN day in July and a dozen at least 25° BN in January, perhaps 30 making 20° BN (that stat needs some updating.)  Average departures, AN/BN, are much greater in winter than in summer.

I am not disagreeing on that at all. Winter has always had the most variance when you look at North America, and more so the northeast. You get winds off the ocean at any point and you can jump to 50+, on the flip side you can get colder than cold with a dry cold wind from the north. And higher humidity of the summer months does tend to stabilize temperatures. Dry air is easier to cool and heat. All I was pointing out is in our state of the climate it is much easier to string together above normal months and weeks versus stringing together below average months and weeks. 

48 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I am not disagreeing on that at all. Winter has always had the most variance when you look at North America, and more so the northeast. You get winds off the ocean at any point and you can jump to 50+, on the flip side you can get colder than cold with a dry cold wind from the north. And higher humidity of the summer months does tend to stabilize temperatures. Dry air is easier to cool and heat. All I was pointing out is in our state of the climate it is much easier to string together above normal months and weeks versus stringing together below average months and weeks. 

Alaska and the high plains have the highest variance in temperatures especially Montana and the Dakotas. The top 57 sites with the highest monthly standard deviation in mean temp are all in AK, MT, ND, SD, or MN. New England states are generally middle of the road.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Alaska and the high plains have the highest variance in temperatures especially Montana and the Dakotas. The top 57 sites with the highest monthly standard deviation in mean temp are all in AK, MT, ND, SD, or MN. New England states are generally middle of the road.

Alaska caught me off guard I wouldn’t have guessed that. But the northern plains are nuts with their deviations especially sometimes in the same day! Part of me loves the climate of San Diego, but then that might get boring. 

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Finally got some rain yesterday and last night.   .40" last night and .55" yesterday.   That brings me up to 1.09" for the past week,   2" for the first half of August  and 9.3" over the last 3 1/2 months..   Pond is still 100% empty but at least I am running normal precip for the first half of August.  Just snapped this picture of our pond.  Outflow is at the top.  It's about 9 feet deep when full

pond.jpg

That's crazy.. were flooded down here..

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My Grandmother grew up in rural Lithuania and taught me some but I'm too nervous to try most of them. I regret not getting more info from her when she was around.

Yep my Grandma grew up in Italy and knew every mushroom in the forest. She always cooked with a silver dollar and if it tarnished she threw the batch out.  Probably old wives tale but she lived until 85