• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Probably have taken my own contribution to that silly debate about as far as I'd like to... 

But, I echo Scott's sentiments; I said as much earler, that I needed some legit quantized indication that the hemisphere is delivering a seasonal migration and I don't see that just yet. 

It's not 95 now?  

Okay, but that's not a sufficient metric for making that decision frankly.   For a litany of obvious reasons.... that's not enough.   

Having said that, I feel partial culpability (perhaps) for having titled this thread "splitting" in deference to the month - later qualifying that closer to the 20th.  However, I will admit that's in jeopardy. We'll see how things "break" this week - hahahaha.  J/k.

Again, the hemispheric main core of westerly wind is still packed up in to Canada... Nothing is breaking until that, as a bare arse minimum, comes south.   

I guess winter's back was broken last February when it was 84 F ?   How'd that work for yeah...much of the season's snow, at last for he interior, happened after that in those two nor-easters in March. We did have that cat's paw fest on 3 or 4th or whenever that was, but I remember close to 20 " from two different tree pruner blue bombs after that. 

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's not spinning...at least from me. But, when I look at the big picture..I don't see a huge change. I do think we could sneak in a day or two where it could get more refreshing, but it may not last. 

Looks muggy overall next 10 days. Can we improve end of month though? everyone is asking for it.

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Probably have taken my own contribution to that silly debate about as far as I'd like to... 

But, I echo Scott's sentiments; I said as much earler, that I needed some legit quantized indication that the hemisphere is delivering a seasonal migration and I don't see that just yet. 

It's not 95 now?  

Okay, but that's not a sufficient metric for making that decision frankly.   For a litany of obvious reasons.... that's not enough.   

Having said that, I feel partial culpability (perhaps) for having titled this thread "splitting" in deference to the month - later qualifying that closer to the 20th.  However, I will admit that's in jeopardy. We'll see how things "break" this week - hahahaha.  J/k.

Again, the hemispheric main core of westerly wind is still packed up in to Canada... Nothing is breaking until that, as a bare arse minimum, comes south.   

I guess winter's back was broken last February when it was 84 F ?   How'd that work for yeah...much of the season's snow, at last for he interior, happened after that in those two nor-easters in March. We did have that cat's paw fest on 3 or 4th or whenever that was, but I remember close to 20 " from two different tree pruner blue bombs after that. 

Only some including someone you know called for winters end multiple times last year when most said back end loaded. Is this a back end loaded summer too? If August averages higher than July like March did to Feb you got a point though, using snowfall as a metric, well...

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

83/66 and FEW sky cover with breaks of sunshine.

Steamy summer day out there.

Wheel of moisture continues elsewhere but not here. We have a solid force field.

Crazy how with a ULL storm overhead we can have a nice summer day here.

IMG_0286.GIF.ce1824c9079297871fd388150e9664a1.GIF

We are used to it in the winter time here. sunny days with passing flurries while the mtns stack it.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

30 0n 3/5 is cold?

Actually yes, 30 on 3/5 is cold for many areas in southern New England. That would be 14 degrees below historical average high for Bradley. While 85 on 9/5 at BDL would only be 6 degrees above the historical average high. Much easier to string together above normal weeks than it is to string together below average weeks. 

6 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Actually yes, 30 on 3/5 is cold for many areas in southern New England. That would be 14 degrees below historical average high for Bradley. While 85 on 9/5 at BDL would only be 6 degrees above the historical average high. Much easier to string together above normal weeks than it is to string together below average weeks. 

I wouldn't feel cold at 30 degrees on 3/5 was my point,as I wouldn't feel hot at 85 on Sept 5th, I did not mention average temps. I do disagree with your last sentence though, easier to be double digits below normal for a week in winter than double digits above normal ave for a week in summer. Double belows are frequent in winter, double aboves in summer are rare

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I wouldn't feel cold at 30 degrees on 3/5 was my point,as I wouldn't feel hot at 85 on Sept 5th, no one mentioned average temps. I do disagree with your last sentence though, easier to be double digits below normal for a week in winter than double digits above normal ave for a week in summer. Double belows are frequent in winter, double aboves in summer are rare

I agree I wouldn't feel "hot" or "cold" with those temps, but such is climatology. Hence why people will sunbath on a college campus in April at 60 degrees, but not in October at 60 degrees. I don't disagree with you that it is easier to be double digits below average in the winter than double digits above in the summer (high humidity plays a role in limiting extreme positive departures). However, I do disagree that it is easier to be double digits below for any week in any part of the year, especially in the winter. Recent climatology has shown that we can easily torch in winter months (only have to go back to last February). We set record highs and record low highs at a faster pace than record lows. 

1 minute ago, JustinRP37 said:

I agree I wouldn't feel "hot" or "cold" with those temps, but such is climatology. Hence why people will sunbath on a college campus in April at 60 degrees, but not in October at 60 degrees. I don't disagree with you that it is easier to be double digits below average in the winter than double digits above in the summer (high humidity plays a role in limiting extreme positive departures). However, I do disagree that it is easier to be double digits below for any week in any part of the year, especially in the winter. Recent climatology has shown that we can easily torch in winter months (only have to go back to last February). We set record highs and record low highs at a faster pace than record lows. 

Talking past each other I am afraid. Last winter featured an extraordinary cold snap and an extraordinary warm snap but I was comparing warm season AN with cold season BN departures