Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It does actually strike me as an interesting point ... that 'here' - ness of it all..  Heh.

Up here in N-central Massachusetts, along Rt 2/Mohawk trail blah blah ..it's been fantastic.  

Perhaps not so much down there in the drainage ditch of CT... ha ha.  Just kidding -

But the cloud and sun ratio is available data.  Perhaps someone wants to geek it for a bit and put together those graphics.. Even comparing to other seasons and climo on the matter.  That would put some empirical weight behind it and offer some 'righteous indignation' for the 'horrible' summer.  I'm actually curious.   I mean, this is a weather forum.. that's a real sensible element of it -

I’d be happy to see dxr or oxc data. Of course there have been ‘good’ days mixed in but this area has been under monsoon type stuff for over a month now. Crap mornings followed by break of sun and high dews, before the evening storms and rain. Weekends have been prone to washouts which severly overweighs any good weekdays too.

So while it may be 50/50 or better, it just isnt that way for working families in the west zones. If you’re a teacher out east you’re singing a different tune. There’s only so many hours during the week to get stuff done outdoors when you get home at 7pm, and when those are washed out from storms....followed by miserable weekends, it’s a terrible stretch.

From New Jersey  -

"As the summer rolls on, this will be the twelfth weekend since Memorial Day Weekend. A whopping nine of those weekends have seen measurable rain somewhere in the Garden State. (The exceptions are 6/16-6/17, 6/30-7/1, and 7/7-7/8.) Of course, that tally includes this Saturday and Sunday — which neither day looks like a total washout, the weekend certainly looks predominately wet."

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’d be happy to see dxr or oxc data. Of course there have been ‘good’ days mixed in but this area has been under monsoon type stuff for over a month now. Crap mornings followed by break of sun and high dews, before the evening storms and rain. Weekends have been prone to washouts which severly overweighs any good weekdays too.

So while it may be 50/50 or better, it just isnt that way for working families in the west zones. If you’re a teacher out east you’re singing a different tune. There’s only so many hours during the week to get stuff done outdoors when you get home at 7pm, and when those are washed out from storms....followed by miserable weekends, it’s a terrible stretch.

Oh I don't doubt it... I'm just wondering ... given to the convective nature of things -  

We haven't had real uniform strata rain events where like the NE conus is swashed over in it.  It may just be a terrifically bad luck - ... boom boom boom like the lightning bolts in "Kill Da Wabbit"  -

32 minutes ago, Hoth said:

We pour. Looks like heavy rain likely for the next several hours as this weak low pivots up.

Can we see this setup 4 months from now please. 

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Oh I don't doubt it... I'm just wondering ... given to the convective nature of things -  

We haven't had real uniform strata rain events where like the NE conus is swashed over in it.  It may just be a terrifically bad luck - ... boom boom boom like the lightning bolts in "Kill Da Wabbit"  -

lol, yea after an ef1 tracked right over my head in May.... I knew the bad luck streak will continue until October and then magically, come November it will be ‘good’ luck. Oh looky here, warm and dry right until Spring. A big ‘FU’ to my weather preferences. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Mostly clear counts as clouds? lol ok

The datasets integrate 15 years of twice-daily remote sensing-derived cloud observations at 1-km resolution. For additional information about the integration approach and the evaluations of the datasets, please see the associated journal article:

Wilson AM, Jetz W (2016) Remotely Sensed High-Resolution Global Cloud Dynamics for Predicting Ecosystem and Biodiversity Distributions. PLoS Biol 14(3): e1002415. doi:10.1371/journal. pbio.1002415

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

lol, yea after an ef1 tracked right over my head in May.... I knew the bad luck streak will continue until October and then magically, come November it will be ‘good’ luck. Oh looky here, warm and dry right until Spring. A big ‘FU’ to my weather preferences. 

Melting

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

WNE from SW VT so SW CT has been brutal.  I'm well over 10" of rain in the past 5-6 weeks and my friends in Dover VT are over 13"

It has been horrible for kids, pets and anyone who has to work outside.  If this winter tries to revert our (WNE) precipitation back to average I will snap, drive down to pick you up and we can drive around the NE taking weather radars out as we go. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why doesn't NWS maintain % of sunshine anymore, thought it was automated

It got phased out with ASOS. We have a good record of sunshine climo already so I don’t really see the big deal in continuing with it. I’d rather have 25kft ceilometers at every site.