Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Williams has a lot of historic Rt 66 stuff. Blast from the past.

Nice little town. Former railroad town that runs a train to the south rim. Nice for kids. Done that with my son - a member here - who was a big rail fan in his younger days. It's amazing how the high elevation of AZ remains cool in summer and cold in summer. Have friends in PHX who nordic ski regularly in the area. Very pretty. Drive up from Sedona to Flagstaff via 89a is very pretty. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice area...I'm a big fan of northern Arizona. Obviously Grand Canyon isn't too far, but I like the Ponderosa pine forests in the higher terrain there. Sedona, AZ is a really nice area as well.

Williams has a lot of historic Rt 66 stuff. Blast from the past.

We are at the Grand Canyon now, took the train up from Williams. Did the Skywalk yesterday and are driving to Sedona this evening. I like the ponderosa pines too but there is a lot of ugly brown rock too. I see no reason for people to live in Kingman, AZ

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Nice little town. Former railroad town that runs a train to the south rim. Nice for kids. Done that with my son - a member here - who was a big rail fan in his younger days. It's amazing how the high elevation of AZ remains cool in summer and cold in summer. Have friends in PHX who nordic ski regularly in the area. Very pretty. Drive up from Sedona to Flagstaff via 89a is very pretty. 

That’s the trip I’m doing with my 14 year old son now. I was reading last night that there is a ski area down near Tucson. That’s pretty far south. I asked a guy working in a store in Williams last night about winter. He said they average 48”-72” of snow but only got 18” last year. I didntcheck the numbers but I would have jumped off the South Rim. :cliff:

49 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We are at the Grand Canyon now, took the train up from Williams. Did the Skywalk yesterday and are driving to Sedona this evening. I like the ponderosa pines too but there is a lot of ugly brown rock too. I see no reason for people to live in Kingman, AZ

Rod's steak house in Williams is fantastic!

4 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

90F again today.  Batting .800 this month for 90F days.

Ha!  Two days back to back with 89.4 here for a high...

By the way, that was heat wave we had... pretty sure the majors clocked it to but by all means, someone can pull those numbers.  Either way, that verified everywhere I was ... over four days of it...

In fact, it was 96, 95, 93, 91, 89, 89 over thee last 6 days...  Not bad.  Boston I know got butt sore by a ocean breeze yesterday.  hm.

Anyway, 89 here... 90 at Bob's... Brian missed out in his cool weird little world up there... granted, but, let's bear this in mind the next time we are looking at a curved flow like this initialization for 18z today, ...it doesn't automatically mean your cool -

image.thumb.png.c04bb4ae1ece0a19cfe92464b7e743d1.png

26 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

By the way, that was heat wave we had... pretty sure the majors clocked it to but by all means, someone can pull those numbers.  Either way, that verified everywhere I was ... over four days of it...

In fact, it was 96, 95, 93, 91, 89, 89 over thee last 6 days...  Not bad.  Boston I know got butt sore by a ocean breeze yesterday.  hm.

Anyway, 89 here... 90 at Bob's... Brian missed out in his cool weird little world up there... granted, but, let's bear this in mind the next time we are looking at a curved flow like this initialization for 18z today, ...it doesn't automatically mean your cool -

1st 10 days for TAN

86/93/91/84/93/95/93/91/91/90

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

67/59

Already dew on the grass.

I'm not sure I've ever noticed it like I did tonight, but just got back from my usual 3-mile loop with the dog through the woods and fields... the temperature difference right after the sun went behind the mountain between out in the middle of the field and then along the wood-line was crazy.  It felt surprisingly chilly out in the soccer and lax fields within minutes of the sun going behind the ridgeline but then where the Rec Path wanders along the wood edge with the canopy overhead it honestly felt 10F warmer. 

For some reason I don't remember ever really "feeling" it like that before.  But really shows you how certain stations, and the airport ASOS stations, plummet this time of evening and any given location's temperature is really governed by the amount of vegetation nearby (like within 100 feet of the sensor).

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

That’s the trip I’m doing with my 14 year old son now. I was reading last night that there is a ski area down near Tucson. That’s pretty far south. I asked a guy working in a store in Williams last night about winter. He said they average 48”-72” of snow but only got 18” last year. I didntcheck the numbers but I would have jumped off the South Rim. :cliff:

Our 17 year old son is in the Colorado/Utah area for 10 days with his scout troop.  They were supposed to be at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, but a fire closed it down for the season.  Instead they are hiking, driving around, white water rafting, etc.  they drove up Pike’s Peak yesterday (14k+ asl). It was 34F at the summit.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm not sure I've ever noticed it like I did tonight, but just got back from my usual 3-mile loop with the dog through the woods and fields... the temperature difference right after the sun went behind the mountain between out in the middle of the field and then along the wood-line was crazy.  It felt surprisingly chilly out in the soccer and lax fields within minutes of the sun going behind the ridgeline but then where the Rec Path wanders along the wood edge with the canopy overhead it honestly felt 10F warmer. 

For some reason I don't remember ever really "feeling" it like that before.  But really shows you how certain stations, and the airport ASOS stations, plummet this time of evening and any given location's temperature is really governed by the amount of vegetation nearby (like within 100 feet of the sensor).

You’re getting old. Soon you’ll be talking about how it wouldn’t be bad to spend a few weeks in Florida every winter. :oldman:

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

image.thumb.png.c04bb4ae1ece0a19cfe92464b7e743d1.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=20fe2b78d4e66dff

Wow at your 89.  KFIT looks like it only got to 84 (unless they snuck in something between hours).

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Almost in the 50s already. I want summer back.

I'm losing sun completely in my backyard around 5pm now. I can be 10F cooler before sunset than in town where there's full sun.

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

hey weenies...I need some help.

I have a guyed telescopic mast on top of my garage roof with the Davis anny on top of it. I have an ultrasonic anemometer arriving in a couple of weeks that has to mounted to a 2" pipe. I can't recall the outer diameter of the top pipe of my mast, but my best guess is something around 1" to 1 1/4". I think the guy is within a couple feet of the top.

What I would like to do is try to "steal" some extra height when reinstalling. Using one of those heavy duty mast to mast mounting kits I'd like to attach some extra length to the top mast.

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-EZ-HD-PTP-Heavy-Mounting/dp/B003EAY89M

According to the specs the anemometer is about 1 pound...so there will essentially be no additional weight added to the top of the pipe. I was thinking of using some form of 2" conduit. If I use two of those mounting kits to attach a 10ft section of 2" metallic conduit, how much free standing pipe would you go above the top mounting clamp to make any sway of the pipe negligible? Would EMT be fine or would you go with rigid or even aluminum? I have to be able to move this thing up and down so weight and rigidity are important. I would think Al would give me my best strength to weight ratio.

You're on the right track but I would consider making your own pipe stand-off bracket with a few of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-Master-Universal-U-Bolt-and-Nest-Assembly-CM-9017/203763054?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203763046-_-203763054-_-N

and some long bolts and nuts from the hardware section.  It will be cheaper and basically the same design.

I would think you'd be fine with anything less than 2' with PVC and about 5-6' for aluminum based on masts I've put up before.  I've done 10' iron pipe masts and was surprised at the movement.

2 hours ago, ice1972 said:

JFC....the rain can stop now....my grass just keeps going and going and going....usually by mid August it’s stunted and not much work to keep under control....not this year....lol

Ditto dude, still as green as it was in June and needs to be mown every four or five days.

12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Wow at your 89.  KFIT looks like it only got to 84 (unless they snuck in something between hours).

Meh... not sure I'd trust that... I was really after the comparison of the day to the chart.  Regardless of how much the flow structure might lead one to think there's cooler times, there's more to it all than curves.

I.e., got to look at the fuller parametric pallet of synoptics when making decisions about temperature trends.  There's a tendency to quickly react one way based upon very generic 500 mb configurations - ...most of the time, okay, you'll be safe, but sometimes not.  Usually, a ridge in the west and trough in the east gets you some amount above vs below, respectively and vice versa. But this is a unique sort of summer, plagued by an odd huge heights everywhere.  This is the first summer I can remember, ever, where we've sustained so many ridge nodes that are closed off and > than 594 dm ... This trough we have today?  It's not even < than 582 dm ... Mind you, we've verified heat waves at 582 dm.

A deeper observation of all this... there's a bizarre counter-tendency that's been going on, where the atmosphere keeps ...manufacturing these idiosyncratic offsets to heat potential... it's almost creepy: like it's hiding the truer nature of it... (half kidding there of course). But, we've taken the whole medium, elevated some 6 dm over climate, but kept the nature of positive departures from being out of control.  Meanwhile, Japan of all places has an unusually high morality rate due to heat this year..  This has been consistent for many years... Other than 2012's big heat wave ... it seems other regions of the globe are repeater hefty heaters compared to us, despite our protestations over how hot we think it is.. Have to look more discretely at the global numbers, but it 'seems' like North America's been sort of lucky and living in a charmed chancy cooler bubble - relatively speaking...

As far as 89.4's in Ayer:  that's based on the three Davis' and/or stations that are tied into Wunder.  Just using them to represent the center of town here. Not to be presumptuous but I'd be surprised if they are ideally calibrated/positioned properly...  Having said that, they do tend to be within a degree or two of one another at all times, so there is at least consistency there fwiw -  The other thing is that downtown Ayer, albeit small ...is typical layout in brick and mortar structures ..beset by parking flats and paved thoroughfares.  Said three set ups are all embedded and/or immediately adjacent to that environment, ...so given to that physical setting, the temp may get a jack on sunnier days.  

18 hours ago, MetHerb said:

You're on the right track but I would consider making your own pipe stand-off bracket with a few of these:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Channel-Master-Universal-U-Bolt-and-Nest-Assembly-CM-9017/203763054?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-203763046-_-203763054-_-N

and some long bolts and nuts from the hardware section.  It will be cheaper and basically the same design.

I would think you'd be fine with anything less than 2' with PVC and about 5-6' for aluminum based on masts I've put up before.  I've done 10' iron pipe masts and was surprised at the movement.

Thanks for the input. My other thought was to just get a new mast that's 40ft tall.

https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_Mast_p/cm-1850.htm

That would make CGs next spring extra scary.