Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Are you talking dews or temps?  Dews were in the 50s July 29-31 and Aug 1.  If you are referring to the temps dropping below 70F.  Aug 4-6 they did.

I think he's talking about his temperature.  He's on a hilltop so he is frequently 10-15° warmer than surrounding areas.  For some strange reason his temperature is the right one and all others are fake.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

what's up with all the squirrels and chipmunks on the side of the road? they are everywhere this summer

Just a guess: big acorn crop last year so high winter survival, then mild and sunny May with no multi-day cutoff disasters that would've killed off much of their first litters through pneumonia.  2nd litter newbies are getting hammered at present.

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Yes,the mice are bad. Look where they built a nest in my brand new truckMVIMG_20180711_194829.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Install a hamster wheel for quicker acceleration?
We're re-doing our back bedroom, which has produced malodorous air for years when the sun is bright and hot.  We knew there were mice in the back wall, but when we pulled off the v-match pine, the rodent damage (and stench) was beyond belief.  Much of the fiberglass insulation had been converted to nest material and was mainly in "pellets" the size/shape of rice krispies.  The wall has horizontal nailers between the studs at 30" and 60" from the floor, and each had about 2" of mouse poop below the fiberglass nesting, 40+ years of guano build-up.  (House was built in 1975 and I'd guess the mice invaded within weeks of its completion.)  My wife sent pics to friends via Facebook - one could almost smell the stink over the internet.  Vinegar and baking soda have reduced the odor's power by perhaps 95%, still leaving plenty but one more application plus the replacement v-match (and lots of D-Con upstairs in the knee-wall closets) should make things a lot more pleasant. 

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

I think he's talking about his temperature.  He's on a hilltop so he is frequently 10-15° warmer than surrounding areas.  For some strange reason his temperature is the right one and all others are fake.

To be fair he did say he can't remember the last time he went below 70F.  Usually he implies everyone but that post was pretty specific to his location.  

4 hours ago, BrianW said:

Here is a drone shot of my panels.

Screw oil and propane. I use my panels to power my heat pump forced air furnace for ac and heat. It has oil backup for those really cold days. But with my woodstove I rarely use oil unless im away.

I also heat my water with a heat pump water heater. My hot water heater uses 8 times less power than a conventional electric tank. Compressor uses 500 watts vs 4500 electric elements and it dehumidifies my basement. I got the heater for basically free a couple years ago through a utility incentive. 

FB_IMG_1533811044037-410x234.jpg

Oh the horror!  It makes your house look like a hovel!:P

Just now, #NoPoles said:

Well, I picked up an inch of rain from the storm that moved through this morning. Now it's in the low 90s, with a dewpoint of 75ish

What's up Diane?  How late are you open this year?  I've been meaning to get my daughter to commit to going there with a friend.  She loves the canopy tours.  She just did one this week in CT with her cousin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What's up Diane?  How late are you open this year?  I've been meaning to get my daughter to commit to going there with a friend.  She loves the canopy tours.  She just did one this week in CT with her cousin.

7 days a week until labor day. Then weekends and holidays and we close for the season after veterans day weekend

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

What a pants tent on Winni today. Top 10. Nice NW winds with a downslope dandy melting the CU.

82/54 this afternoon here.  First day in a long time not being damp all day from dews over 65F.

You forget how nice normal summer weather is as 82/54 is pretty dead on average here.  Breeze felt dry too.

It actually poured this morning too at the mountain finally.  Wind goes NW and it finally rains.