Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

11 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Long Island Sound SSTs are in the low 80s... wow. 

75 to 78 in the Shelf waters ... 

I was at Narragansett Beach RI on Sunday boogie-boarding for hours at a time and didn't once feel chilled.  I'd estimate it was 72 or so at the time. We've had two full sun days since and the pier temp is now 75 on the URL.   

Anyway, I'm more impressed with the low 70s water temps in the outer Harbor of Mass Bay...and even at station 44005, which is in the lower GOM region is putting up a 72. . Not sure what those compare to seasonality but suspect that's running warm for N of the Cape ... however shallow that warm layer may be. 

In general the Gulf of Maine waters are above normal, especially so at depth.

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I've taken to cycling ... which offers a bit more ventilation of course... But it's interesting that on the lower end it gets tougher.  It's hard to ride much below 65 without gear due to wind-chill effects.  

But for about 5 years I was up to running 25 mi/week, and yeah..I'd still hit it at 88 some times ...that's about the warmest I ran in, but only because that's about as warm as it is at 5:30 pm even on hot days in the interior.  Once you start sweating ... you can acclimate up to ta point, even within the same run.  It's like hot in the first mile...then... you get sort of used to it, but for about 10 minutes when you stop and your pacing with hands on hip, your face feels like its on fire.  That was my experience.  

If I had my druthers... right around 68 or 69 with DP about 60 is ideal.  I didn't like running in very dry air - not sure how other feel about that.  I also don't like running in the cold at all... I don't care how warm you get from the workout, I just don't like it.  

I don’t like running in the sun . Regardless of time of year. That’s the main reason  I run before 5:00 AM year round. That and work /kids life schedules . Other than heavy ,cold rain , I don’t mind any wx for running. One of the times I ran the HFD marathon, it was in the low- mid 40’s and rained the entire time . I have never been so cold in my life . Sweating , but ice cold shivering 

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t like running in the sun . Regardless of time of year. That’s the main reason  I run before 5:00 AM year round. That and work /kids life schedules . Other than heavy ,cold rain , I don’t mind any wx for running. One of the times I ran the HFD marathon, it was in the low- mid 40’s and rained the entire time . I have never been so cold in my life . Sweating , but ice cold shivering 

Oh that's a real phenomenon alright - yep!   I was doing a 30 mi at 57 F in cycling shorts ...not the full length mind you.  I can remember the sweat rollin when I got back even though I was so cold. It's a weird feeling, and one that I suspect isn't particularly good for you.  

You're right about the sun ... I don't run in full sun at mid day if I don't have to because what people don't realize is that the sun actually feels like it has 'weight' pressing down on you.  If your clocking a hill as it is, you don't need the sensation of a hot wash cloth draped along the tops of your shoulders.  

One year (1988?) I was at this meeting in December in Columbus, OH.  We had about an hour snow burst while I was in the midst of my daily 7 miler.  I was near the football stadium at OSU and lo and behold you could just run right into the stadium.  I found myself running zig zagging on the 50 yard line-felt like Archie Griffin...lol.  The snow was the best part though.

• Like 1

Totally non-weather related, but is Elon Musk for real? Taking TSLA private with a $72 billion LBO? Even under the rosiest scenario that company doesn't justify anything close to that valuation and there isn't a chance that he can actually pay down a debt pile like that, even if TSLA eventually becomes profitable. He hasn't even been cash flow positive as far as I'm aware. Only ones cheering this would be the bank underwriting the deal. Twice as big as any other LBO. Oh the fees, the fees. And if he put that tweet out in jest, he's probably going to be facing lawsuits from burned shorts and inquiries into stock manipulation. This is just blowing my mind. 

7 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Totally non-weather related, but is Elon Musk for real? Taking TSLA private with a $72 billion LBO? Even under the rosiest scenario that company doesn't justify anything close to that valuation and there isn't a chance that he can actually pay down a debt pile like that, even if TSLA eventually becomes profitable. He hasn't even been cash flow positive as far as I'm aware. Only ones cheering this would be the bank underwriting the deal. Twice as big as any other LBO. Oh the fees, the fees. And if he put that tweet out in jest, he's probably going to be facing lawsuits from burned shorts and inquiries into stock manipulation. This is just blowing my mind. 

Puff, puff, pass

38 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

yeah i was looking at this site, but it's scrolled https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=Kbos&time=GMT

oh well ... anyway, it's "about" where we were yesterday as I thought/said - 

Yeah...agree with your premise. Pretty much a carbon copy. A little more humid today, but up here we have a lot more clouds. 

38 minutes ago, weathafella said:

95 will do it at Logan.   Will we hit mid or upper 90s again?   I remember 2010 when it blistered into Labor Day followed by a fabulous snow winter.

This weather sucks. 

National Grid strike means all of our buildings have no ac. So I'm in dress clothes showing units with interior Temps reaching 80-90F. Had to go home and shower today halfway through. 

58 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

This weather sucks. 

National Grid strike means all of our buildings have no ac. So I'm in dress clothes showing units with interior Temps reaching 80-90F. Had to go home and shower today halfway through. 

I dont follow how a NG strike effects your AC

24 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I dont follow how a NG strike effects your AC

Brand new construction. Strike started right during utility work. 176 Humboldt Ave. 

"If you have natural gas, there are gas-powered air conditioning units that use a no-compressor absorption process. These also heat your house in the winter. Another super-efficient gas central air conditioning and heating unit uses a compressor. With an equivalent SEER of 27, it can cut cooling costs by 75%."