Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I was spraying a small nest of wasps that look like 50% scale yellow jackets yesterday.  Not aggressive but hadn’t seen them nest in my eaves before. 

Lots of paper wasps too

If they are building their nests in the eaves that must mean snow to the rooftops come winter! (lol)

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I banged out a quick 4 this morning . It’s fairly easy once you acclimate. I bring a sweat towel with me to wipe the face and head. Get out there before 5:00 am and just pound it out 

Weak. If you love this so much why you ‘running’ from it? 

I ran 2 miles during lunch yesterday, you soft.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I banged out a quick 4 this morning . It’s fairly easy once you acclimate. I bring a sweat towel with me to wipe the face and head. Get out there before 5:00 am and just pound it out 

Just have to acclimate!  Back in the day I would be in mid summer training for XC at college an easy 10 before 10 on a day like today was not out of ordinary.  I miss those days!

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ha I've started doing that while hiking this month...sweat towel necessary when dews of 65F or higher just to keep your sanity and eyes clear.  

Yesterday I went up Mansfield to 4,000ft in the middle of the day and it was hot/humid even at the treeline.  

It has been quite the stretch of humidity and dews, IMO.  We've stopped getting our 2-3 day dry air breaks and it just feels humid all the time.  Dog days indeed.

• Thanks 1

These #s are staggering.

Combined, they form the biggest blaze that California firefighters are currently battling. Altogether, the Mendocino Complex Fire has burned 283,800 acres -- growing about 80% since Friday night. As of Monday evening, it was 30% contained and had destroyed 75 residences.
The Mendocino Complex Fire has now surpassed last year's Thomas Fire, which burned 281,893 acres in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties, as the largest fire in Cal Fire history.

These 2 fires combined would have burned 73% of the state of Rhode Island and the current one is no where close to being contained.

Back in the day I would run 5-10 miles in this.  If greater than 5 miles you need to have water-hanteens we’re the rage in the 80s.   I loved running in heat.  I had to stop running in my 60s after 35 years of hitting the pavement and hills and dales.  My body started to give me the requisite signs by my late 50s and I was done at 62.  Probably a good thing as I’d probably be an idiot and croak proving I could run in 98 degree heat at 3PM.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Back in the day I would run 5-10 miles in this.  If greater than 5 miles you need to have water-hanteens we’re the rage in the 80s.   I loved running in heat.  I had to stop running in my 60s after 35 years of hitting the pavement and hills and dales.  My body started to give me the requisite signs by my late 50s and I was done at 62.  Probably a good thing as I’d probably be an idiot and croak proving I could run in 98 degree heat at 3PM.

Millennial’s are wimps. You old school, respect.

Long Island Sound SSTs are in the low 80s... wow. 

75 to 78 in the Shelf waters ... 

I was at Narragansett Beach RI on Sunday boogie-boarding for hours at a time and didn't once feel chilled.  I'd estimate it was 72 or so at the time. We've had two full sun days since and the pier temp is now 75 on the URL.   

Anyway, I'm more impressed with the low 70s water temps in the outer Harbor of Mass Bay...and even at station 44005, which is in the lower GOM region is putting up a 72. . Not sure what those compare to seasonality but suspect that's running warm for N of the Cape ... however shallow that warm layer may be. 

40 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I've taken to cycling ... which offers a bit more ventilation of course... But it's interesting that on the lower end it gets tougher.  It's hard to ride much below 65 without gear due to wind-chill effects.  

But for about 5 years I was up to running 25 mi/week, and yeah..I'd still hit it at 88 some times ...that's about the warmest I ran in, but only because that's about as warm as it is at 5:30 pm even on hot days in the interior.  Once you start sweating ... you can acclimate up to ta point, even within the same run.  It's like hot in the first mile...then... you get sort of used to it, but for about 10 minutes when you stop and your pacing with hands on hip, your face feels like its on fire.  That was my experience.  

If I had my druthers... right around 68 or 69 with DP about 60 is ideal.  I didn't like running in very dry air - not sure how other feel about that.  I also don't like running in the cold at all... I don't care how warm you get from the workout, I just don't like it.