Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

A lot of my time spent down there was up the north end where Long Lake/Brandy pond are at the causeway, You get some stiff wind out of the NNW up there and i have seen some good waves crash up on to the causeway onto Rte 302 off of Long Lake.

i rented a pontoon boat at long lake a few years ago. Spent the day out on sebago. when we returned through Brandy pond and onto Long lake, the wind had picked up and the waves were coming over the bow of the 'toon. front passengers got soaked. good times.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Rough summer for the MAV/GFS with the high heat numbers. They're trying to make us hate MOS so we won't miss it when it's gone.

It's that weird superadiabatic thing the GFS is doing that they are not fixing because of the FV3 development. 

It was going nuts over the Iberian Peninsula too, with like 50C readings leading to some poor forecasts that sneaked through QC checks.

Even on a somewhat boring weather day, GOES16 is still worth a glimpse on a daily basis....The cyclonic flow down around the Delmarva region is interesting to see along with all of the other cloud movements...

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=subregional-Mid_Atlantic-02-48-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

i rented a pontoon boat at long lake a few years ago. Spent the day out on sebago. when we returned through Brandy pond and onto Long lake, the wind had picked up and the waves were coming over the bow of the 'toon. front passengers got soaked. good times.

Yes, That lake is orientated from NW to SE so its a perfect candidate for anything out of the north or south to build up some serious waves.

Even on a somewhat boring weather day, GOES16 is still worth a glimpse on a daily basis....The cyclonic flow down around the Delmarva region is interesting to see along with all of the other cloud movements...

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=subregional-Mid_Atlantic-02-48-1-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Bath water, Although with air temps in the 90's, 79 would feel rather pleasant............:lol:

When I lived in NNJ, our small (50-60 acre) lake would be 90° bathwater on the surface.  I'd dive down to the bottom - about 12' in the swimming area - and stay in the cooler water as long as I could hold my breath.  One mid-August day my dad and I were out doing temp soundings in the deeper parts (16' max) of the lake, to see if it was cool enough to have the (stocked) brownies hold over - dad said that 78° was about the warmest they could tolerate; it was also the coolest we found that day, telling me that the 78-80° near bottom in the swim area actually provided a nice contrast with the uber-tepid stuff at the surface. 

Changing subjects, to a heat index question.  At 2 PM, PSM was reporting 91/69, rh48, HX 95.  At the same time, nearby Rochester reported the exact same temp/dew/rh, but with HX 96.  Only difference was that PSM had winds SW7 and Rochester VRB6.  Could that 1 mph, or direction, be the difference, or might it be somebody's typo?

1 hour ago, rimetree said:

One of the scarier fishing excursions I've experienced was an early September trip to sebago south shore. Day started dead calm on the lake. By 10 am or so, winds started out from the northwest and picked suddenly. Probably gusting to 30...waves responded shortly thereafter. Had to bring it in with breakers swamping the launch ramp but made it out with just some bumps and bruises on the bottom the whaler. No fish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That's why i'm on the water usually by 6 am, Because some days you can get blown off by 10 am or so or when the recreational boaters start...............lol

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

When I lived in NNJ, our small (50-60 acre) lake would be 90° bathwater on the surface.  I'd dive down to the bottom - about 12' in the swimming area - and stay in the cooler water as long as I could hold my breath.  One mid-August day my dad and I were out doing temp soundings in the deeper parts (16' max) of the lake, to see if it was cool enough to have the (stocked) brownies hold over - dad said that 78° was about the warmest they could tolerate; it was also the coolest we found that day, telling me that the 78-80° near bottom in the swim area actually provided a nice contrast with the uber-tepid stuff at the surface. 

Changing subjects, to a heat index question.  At 2 PM, PSM was reporting 91/69, rh48, HX 95.  At the same time, nearby Rochester reported the exact same temp/dew/rh, but with HX 96.  Only difference was that PSM had winds SW7 and Rochester VRB6.  Could that 1 mph, or direction, be the difference, or might it be somebody's typo?

Probably ASOS (DAW)/AWOS (PSM) rounding precision?

PSM could be augmented, but I doubt they require it for heat index. Should be 96 though. Of course PSM climbed to 92/70 (97 HI) so moot point now.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Probably ASOS (DAW)/AWOS (PSM) rounding precision?

PSM could be augmented, but I doubt they require it for heat index. Should be 96 though. Of course PSM climbed to 92/70 (97 HI) so moot point now.

Yeah...PSM is in true tenths degC now...not just whole degF like all of ASOS. They had 32.7/20.5 at 18z while DAW was 32.8/20.6 (91/69). That 90.9 48% versus the 91 48% gave them a HX of 95.4 versus a 95.6 at DAW.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...PSM is in true tenths degC now...not just whole degF like all of ASOS. They had 32.7/20.5 at 18z while DAW was 32.8/20.6 (91/69). That 90.9 48% versus the 91 48% gave them a HX of 95.4 versus a 95.6 at DAW.

I'm sure that real weenies could feel the difference.  :lol: