Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

2 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

This is pretty neat - seeing that 1st snow info for such a stretch so far back:

CON1800sfirstsnows.jpg

Only 3 years in that 45 year stretch with the first 1" coming after 12/4. Granted there may be a little rounding there (counting 0.5" as 1"). I don't have the time now, but I'd be interested to see how many years that has happened in the most recent 45 years.

Looking at the models for next week and you just have to feel bad for the west coast...seems like they have been under very strong ridging for nearly two months. The wild fire situation is getting out of control and given the pattern through next week it will only get worse. So heartbreaking just seeing what's unfolding on the news. the story about the grandfather just running an errand and having to hear his family die on the phone was horrific. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The dichotomy of my lawn.  1st one is on north side of house and you can see where the shadow line of house is.  Lol

2nd one is the front east facing lawn that is cooked.

my south facing lawn is the best since it’s now shady for most of the day.

camera lens must have been fogged up from humidity as I had just gone outside from ac

C4101926-B95A-4357-BFFC-1BE1D3DF0B24.thumb.jpeg.5f78affda636de4f92b3378bf2f01856.jpeg

A4B1218B-F4A9-482D-9507-A22C27FA849B.thumb.jpeg.3a5c3d82ac0ece3b7f5b5ddf52e5c8a1.jpeg

Sorry to see what happened to your grass. Mine is looking similar and a lot was ripped up this spring. I haven’t paid a landscaper like I planned to as funds are low. Let me know if you learn any tips to fix your grass. If you throw down some fresh grass seed and some hay and water it weekly you should see some improvement.

8 hours ago, dendrite said:

Only 3 years in that 45 year stretch with the first 1" coming after 12/4. Granted there may be a little rounding there (counting 0.5" as 1"). I don't have the time now, but I'd be interested to see how many years that has happened in the most recent 45 years.

Looks like if you don't round, then it happened 15 times in the past 45 years. If you round (prob more likely they did this), then you get 10. Still a lot more than those mid 1800s years.

Hi everyone. Not sure if anyone cares but I got into a fight today. In my life I’m at an all time low. Gf cheated on me with SHAWN NEWNAM, I fought him, and all is lost. But I wanted to say thank you to this website, AmericanWX. This is all I have left. I love this website, I love all you members, and I love the weather. So thank you AmericanWX for being my silver lining. When I feel like I am ready to give up, I remember all my friends I have made on here. Thank you all for that so much. 

Now onto other things.... very humid temps & rainy days/flash floods etc. El Niño’s, wind drafts, air circulation setting up for a cold snowy winter as well as a rainy humid summer

4335A6A6-863D-40A0-9FCC-226A622C6186.jpeg

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I would but our schedules are too crazy. Would not be fair to dog.

Think about it, is it fair to a dog to be in a shelter sometimes given a death sentence or to be alone for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week with all the comforts of a loving home. There are thousands of dogs who are just wanting to be free and alive. Hopefully someday when the kids are a little older you can make room. The payback to you and the kids in unconditional love is so worth the sometimes inconvenience.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Think about it, is it fair to a dog to be in a shelter sometimes given a death sentence or to be alone for 8 hrs a day 5 days a week with all the comforts of a loving home. There are thousands of dogs who are just wanting to be free and alive. Hopefully someday when the kids are a little older you can make room. The payback to you and the kids in unconditional love is so worth the sometimes inconvenience.

It’s more like 10+ hrs. It’s too much.

11 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

CoastalWX is very busy, and busy family lol but with a dog you have to let it outside often so that it can use the bathroom. Leave it inside too long and it will have an accident.

17 minutes ago, Weatherexpert said:

CoastalWX is very busy, and busy family lol but with a dog you have to let it outside often so that it can use the bathroom. Leave it inside too long and it will have an accident.

Well here's what we do.  I work 10 hrs 4 days a week with a total commute of 2 hrs. My wife works 40 hrs a week. We have doggie doors and a fenced in yard and 8 dogs. I understand the stress and time constraints but also being a a dog rescuer I have also seen the alternative. People are not fully aware of the amount of neglect  abuse out there.  Its staggering. One dog at a time we are saving them and finding homes. As I said before the alternative is horrific. Everyone who can we hope will adopt.  Like I told Scott maybe in the future things will change where they can. Its an individual decision based on lifestyle. We have ourselves fostered and found furever homes for 68 dogs in 2.5 years. Many of those homes have 2 person full time workers,  its an individual choice. I think the dogs don't mind considering the alternative. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Well here's what we do.  I work 10 hrs 4 days a week with a total commute of 2 hrs. My wife works 40 hrs a week. We have doggie doors and a fenced in yard and 8 dogs. I understand the stress and time constraints but also being a a dog rescuer I have also seen the alternative. People are not fully aware of the amount of neglect  abuse out there.  Its staggering. One dog at a time we are saving them and finding homes. As I said before the alternative is horrific. Everyone who can we hope will adopt.  Like I told Scott maybe in the future things will change where they can. Its an individual decision based on lifestyle. We have ourselves fostered and found furever homes for 68 dogs in 2.5 years. Many of those homes have 2 person full time workers,  its an individual choice. I think the dogs don't mind considering the alternative. 

Doin gods work

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Doin gods work

Its funny how much getting into rescue has changed my outlook on life. By leaps and bounds the most rewarding time of my life. Its not all peaches and cream. It is actually hard work financially, physically and emotionally.  Not all rescues are successful , but those that are wow. I am a pretty stoic person but fully admit tearing up when our fosters leave and I see the joy of the adopter. Its amazing how the dogs know they are safe. Sometimes takes months to get them over their trauma but man when they do its like magic.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Its funny how much getting into rescue has changed my outlook on life. By leaps and bounds the most rewarding time of my life. Its not all peaches and cream. It is actually hard work financially, physically and emotionally.  Not all rescues are successful , but those that are wow. I am a pretty stoic person but fully admit tearing up when our fosters leave and I see the joy of the adopter. Its amazing how the dogs know they are safe. Sometimes takes months to get them over their trauma but man when they do its like magic.

I probably have mentioned this before, but I know some people with a few cats that go into shelters asking for the oldest cat they have. They give them all a caring and loving home. When one dies, they go back and ask for the oldest cat they have.

It takes special people that are able to do that. They deal with a lot of loss, but the cats go out on top.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Good stuff/work. They get ‘stuck’ in a certain mindframe but can be snapped out of it relatively quickly, unlike humans, and never look back. The wife signed us up for the french bulldog rescue association, we being ‘interviewed’ tomorrow. Always adopted dogs but never fostered...see how it goes cuz long work hours could be tough but our two bostons are love bugs so just being around them all day could be good for a foster.