Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

Comcast here, but they wanted $5k yo run a line up my driveway and I was like yeah.....no. So I'm rocking DSL and landline phone for $85 a Month....ripoff....can't wait for 5G 

That's a deal! Try $110 a month for DSL and phone from Consolidated Communications (formerly Fairpoint). It's pretty reliable but $110 a month for ~9.5 Mbps down and ~1.25 Mbps up is a ripoff, but when you're the only provider in town you can get away with it. And there's pretty much no cell service either (1 bar of Extended 1x service from the tower by Prospect Mountain in Woodford if you're lucky). Vermont is really in the stone age when it comes to telecom. Third world countries probably have better internet and cell service than we do here in rural NNE. American corporate greed and monopolies FTL.

The Spectrum line from North Adams ends at the MA/VT line and the Comcast line from Bennington goes east on route 9 to the Searsburg line, but doesn't come down route 8 through the pass. The southern tier communities of VT (along with many others as well) are stuck on copper phone lines with no cable or fiber. Comcast and Spectrum are awful in their own ways, but at least you can get > 100 Mbps internet in most areas they exist. 

6 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

That's a deal! Try $110 a month for DSL and phone from Consolidated Communications (formerly Fairpoint). It's pretty reliable but $110 a month for ~9.5 Mbps down and ~1.25 Mbps up is a ripoff, but when you're the only provider in town you can get away with it. And there's pretty much no cell service either (1 bar of Extended 1x service from the tower by Prospect Mountain in Woodford if you're lucky). Vermont is really in the stone age when it comes to telecom. Third world countries probably have better internet and cell service than we do here in rural NNE. American corporate greed and monopolies FTL.

The Spectrum line from North Adams ends at the MA/VT line and the Comcast line from Bennington goes east on route 9 to the Searsburg line, but doesn't come down route 8 through the pass. The southern tier communities of VT (along with many others as well) are stuck on copper phone lines with no cable or fiber. Comcast and Spectrum are awful in their own ways, but at least you can get > 100 Mbps internet in most areas they exist. 

Have you tried a boosted external antenna like something from WeBoost?

https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-home-4g

It uses an external antenna and amplifies the signal.  You can also upgrade the antenna to a directional yagi type if you know the direction of the tower that you're trying to hit.

You can also do that with WiFi signals which might open up other options for you.  I have a brother that lives in rural Oregon and I'm working with him on a solution as well.  I'm currently testing a WiFi solution.  It's originally designed for transit WiFi using multiple carriers and it's less than $100/mo but it's better than DSL.

9.5 MBPS with DSL? That seems waaaaay too fast.  Mine is like 1.5 MBPS, and even comcast here is 10 MBS

Yeah I had LTE in middle of nowhere Mexico lol. It's so weird...taxi driver is driving a tercel with spidered windshield and no exhaust but then whips out a mint Galaxy S7+ lol. 

Have you tried satellite internet or is that still to slow? 

Opps.  Golf cart mishap at the Stowe Mountain Club course up at the ski area.  I think they have their share of golf cart accidents from people thinking the parking brake is engaged when it is in fact, not.  Every single hole is either uphill or downhill, side hill, etc.  All those spilled beers....

SMC2.jpg.438ceca31524fe8199342929d05a061a.jpg

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Opps.  Golf cart mishap at the Stowe Mountain Club course up at the ski area.  I think they have their share of golf cart accidents from people thinking the parking brake is engaged when it is in fact, not.  Every single hole is either uphill or downhill, side hill, etc.  All those spilled beers....

Won't have to worry about unlucky cart 13 anymore....lol, You can replace the cart but those beers that are busted open is alcohol abuse so i would ban them from the course.

18 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Have you tried a boosted external antenna like something from WeBoost?

https://www.weboost.com/products/connect-home-4g

It uses an external antenna and amplifies the signal.  You can also upgrade the antenna to a directional yagi type if you know the direction of the tower that you're trying to hit.

You can also do that with WiFi signals which might open up other options for you.  I have a brother that lives in rural Oregon and I'm working with him on a solution as well.  I'm currently testing a WiFi solution.  It's originally designed for transit WiFi using multiple carriers and it's less than $100/mo but it's better than DSL.

Good find. A little pricey, but I may strongly consider this. The only thing is that the Woodford tower doesn't seem to offer data, just voice and text as even when I drive by there my phone is Extended 1x. There's another one to my south in Florida, MA that has an LTE signal because it serves North Adams, but it's a little further away and since I don't face south, I can't really get the signal from it. If I drive/walk to other side of the neighborhood where there's a due south exposure, I can get 2 bars of Verizon LTE.

17 hours ago, Whineminster said:

9.5 MBPS with DSL? That seems waaaaay too fast.  Mine is like 1.5 MBPS, and even comcast here is 10 MBS

Yeah I had LTE in middle of nowhere Mexico lol. It's so weird...taxi driver is driving a tercel with spidered windshield and no exhaust but then whips out a mint Galaxy S7+ lol. 

Have you tried satellite internet or is that still to slow? 

I actually have bonded DSL in that my modem bonds 2 DSL signals into one, which increases the speed. Not sure exactly what it all means technically but I have a VDSL modem. 

I'd never get satellite internet unless there was absolutely no other option, even if it is a bit faster than what I have because of data caps and reception issues in inclement weather. They will severely throttle you to dial up speeds (or less) if you're a data hog and reach your monthly data allotment before the reset date. Then there's also the latency issue. Finally, it's more expensive than what I get. I'd rather have a slower wired internet connection with no data cap than a faster satellite/Wifi/cellular internet connection with a cap. At least it's fast enough for YouTube and Netflix, so that's what really matters. Loading longer radar, satellite, or model data loops can be a bit slow though...as are those pesky software updates on my devices (which I have them set to only do them at night). 

21 minutes ago, dendrite said:

0.90" yesterday. Already 75/73

Swamp city.

Been real wet down your way.  

Up here we are rivaling SE MA and are at like 25% normal in the last month.  The river out back is hardly moving and starting to get some algae on the rocks on the river bottom.  I never see that because there's always at least some periods of swift water.  Just need a 1-2" soaker to flush it out but makes our crystal clear mountain river look a lot more murky.  Not a fan, ha.  I like my aesthetics in NNE.

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like beers from the Alchemist.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

At least there was excellent sleighing on 4/11/1868.

That chart of first 1" of snow is gold though.

Time to petition 1/24/1857 for a tie of the record low of -37F. ;)

The weenie obs are fun to read. Lots of earthquakes apparently.

Figured best to bring it into banter.

But oh god, 1857 May 17th the hills around CON were white with snow. What did people do before toasters were invented? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

But oh god, 1857 May 17th the hills around CON were white with snow. What did people do before toasters were invented? 

Sucked on steam engine exhaust pipes?

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

1858. May 17. Precisely same weather as last year on this day. :lol:

The dichotomy of my lawn.  1st one is on north side of house and you can see where the shadow line of house is.  Lol

2nd one is the front east facing lawn that is cooked.

my south facing lawn is the best since it’s now shady for most of the day.

camera lens must have been fogged up from humidity as I had just gone outside from ac

C4101926-B95A-4357-BFFC-1BE1D3DF0B24.thumb.jpeg.5f78affda636de4f92b3378bf2f01856.jpeg

A4B1218B-F4A9-482D-9507-A22C27FA849B.thumb.jpeg.3a5c3d82ac0ece3b7f5b5ddf52e5c8a1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

The dichotomy of my lawn.  1st one is on north side of house and you can see where the shadow line of house is.  Lol

2nd one is the front east facing lawn that is cooked.

my south facing lawn is the best since it’s now shady for most of the day.

camera lens must have been fogged up from humidity as I had just gone outside from ac

C4101926-B95A-4357-BFFC-1BE1D3DF0B24.thumb.jpeg.5f78affda636de4f92b3378bf2f01856.jpeg

A4B1218B-F4A9-482D-9507-A22C27FA849B.thumb.jpeg.3a5c3d82ac0ece3b7f5b5ddf52e5c8a1.jpeg

Torched!!