Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You came up with the Bahama Blues saying?!  I thought that had been around for a long time.  

To be honest it does seem to imply some sunshine and actually seeing the blue sky but I get what you mean.  

Yeah ...I'm not chiding anyone for their interpretation - it is what is... I just offered some clarity :)

as far as who said what when... I'm not seeking credit?  I don't care.  I just feel sort of quasi -responsible, seeing as I began using the expression back in the Eastern days  ...jesus 10 ...11 years ago?  really.  Seriously 2005  omg.. that's f'ed.    anyway, 'Blue Bomb' is another one, for those high water content snow thumps that deposit snow that looks green-blue when you cleave into it with the blade of a shovel...  Think glacial -

These are subjective to certain degree, too.  

Anyway, it is plausible if not likely anyway that like expressions that mean the same thing - or the same xpressions - originated nearly simultaneously from different sources... We're not that different among the individual members of the species here - we think about and perceive the world ..after all intents and purposes, the same way. Fire was discovered everywhere on the planet around the same times, Millennia before any instruction manual could have been circulated... 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You came up with the Bahama Blues saying?!  I thought that had been around for a long time.  

To be honest it does seem to imply some sunshine and actually seeing the blue sky but I get what you mean.  

The term Bermuda Blue has been around for eons. I remember my Dad who served, and had a port of call in Bermuda for a while, saying the sky looked Bermuda Blue. There are paint colors called Bermuda Blue, fish etc. Just a saying

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Congrats!  Sounds like a fascinating scientific journey.   

As we have all noticed this over the years ... we probably have our own hypothesis.  These range from rational to irrational (ha!) ... but, I believe that the tendency to turn the llv advection term into a more S direction east of the elevations, particularly ...and this is important, as the mid level wind max is nosing over the eastern cordillera, that causes said S component to strengthen. 

In the high plains that is a good thing for increasing the 0-3km ...0-6km total helicity ...however, while increasing shear is important, crucially for our geographic circumstances...that direction mitigates SB CAPE by the great instability killer.

...The ocean...

The whole of that synoptic evolution has a toxicity to it.  I have noted over the years, ...from gazing at countless high resolution visible satellite loops between noon and sunset ...that depending on the wind direction, the CU field can be scoured out even when accompanying surface observation do not really reflect cool environment.   In other words, it may be 84/67 with TCU around Albany ... while Bedford over eastern Massachusetts will have shallow or no CU, at "nearly" the same temperature and dewpoint combination.  It seems from just these observation points ...any translation of air mass from New Jersey across the New York Bite region...over Long Island, and then over the Sound ... steals/mitigates critical instability.  

Some times this is more obvious ... other times, it is not - like in that paradigm above.  To those anxiously in wait of broken lines of severe ...crossing E from the Capital district down to White Plains (~) ... there is a "poof" axis that exists roughly ... NYC to SE VT to and points E.  In that region, it rarefies strong convective events, albeit ... not removing the potential for them altogether. 

Anyway, the idea is ... as the acceleration of the jet structures begin to pass over, they intensify the restoring low level southerly flow, and that draws more contamination from the marine boundary layer mixing with continental air off the Mid Atlantic.. and in marginally unstable scenarios, that may account for a lot of those failures ..by edging instability below situational thresholds. 

I'm really excited to explore this idea and the goal is to publish a paper. My hope is with the findings will really show how much of an influence the jet may have (and when talking about the jet I'm referring to jet streaks/maxes and jet quadrants) and how perhaps it can really be a bigger driver than just the combination of cape and the presence of wind shear alone. 

But those are very interesting observations you have for sure. I think when you begin to notice things like that over time it shows there really is an influence and how these details can really provide a clue as to what to really expect. 

Yeah... Bermuda blue is a formal color declaration in the aquamarine color wheel - 

So is Bahama ...though I have difficulty distinguishing the two...   Bahama blue wrt to atmospheric events was coined in conjunction with this air stream because ...well, our air mass source is coming from there in such a pattern etc...  

Bermuda works too conceptually - 

image.png.895df842308a9d952c997f0a6c7778b8.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not that anyone in Moderation cares ... but, I have resorted to completely disabling all notifications that the configuration in personal settings will allow me to disable... in an attempt to turn off this constant bombardment of trivial emails being sent to me every time some poster leans to a side to squeeze one off... 

Jesus... 

The odd thing is, I sifted thru them and turned of, strategically, those that most logically would control those emails and it actually worked... for about 5 days. Then, all the sudden, I got 10 or 12 of them this morning - it is as though the 'system' determined I was no longer getting them, then bi-passed the settings to make sure that I do?  wtf chuck -  whatever... 

We'll see if this works... The other option is to create some mickey mouse @ gofurself . com email address and see if the 'system' can find me then!   

I did that about 8 years ago lol

10 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

I did that about 8 years ago lol

ha!  

getting closer to pullin' that trigger too - I had 60 something messages in there as of an hour ago.. complete and utter mind-less minutia.  again... that's after having turned off all available configurations that would in theory allow anything to be sent at all... 

Thing is, there are a couple options still in there that are 'frozen' on?  as in...they are in the on position, but they are grayed out - ... what's the deal here?

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

ha!  

getting closer to pullin' that trigger too - I had 60 something messages in there as of an hour ago.. complete and utter mind-less minutia.  again... that's after having turned off all available configurations that would in theory allow anything to be sent at all... 

Thing is, there are a couple options still in there that are 'frozen' on?  as in...they are in the on position, but they are grayed out - ... what's the deal here?

I'm waiting to hear back from Wow. Hold tight for a bit. If all else fails I'll change your email to something phony (dot net versus dot com or something) and if you ever need a pass change, someone can relay the msg and I'll change it back so you can reset it. We need to fix the root of the problem either way though.

22 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'm waiting to hear back from Wow. Hold tight for a bit. If all else fails I'll change your email to something phony (dot net versus dot com or something) and if you ever need a pass change, someone can relay the msg and I'll change it back so you can reset it. We need to fix the root of the problem either way though.

yeah...mind you i'm bein' snarky - 

but sure.  as a software guy i'm not unfamiliar with the tribulations at hand. 

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Playing golf in Thompson, CT.... man is it steamy when the sun is out.  About 4-5 brief showers amid blue sky too.  

You guys are right though, for all the humidity there is no haze at all. 

Photo from the golf course.

IMG_0161.PNG.794a850ee2706dea8b401a26cc089c04.PNG

Heh, the only thing missing from that is Palm trees ...otherwise it might look like a lagoon on Bora Bora

21 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh, the only thing missing from that is Palm trees ...otherwise it might look like a lagoon on Bora Bora

Palms instead of pines?  Pretty big water hazard, too.

Augusta has had about 15 minutes of sun so far, in about the same number of bright spells.  Still approaching 80, with TD 71.

Got up to 91 here today at LWM which was a surprise to me. Low last night was only 75 degrees with a 70 dewpoint. Anyone got a link for record maximum lows for Lawrence? I can only only find the all time low/high.

Edit: Most surrounding sites topped out around 88 today. I wonder if they are over reporting some as I've seen it happen before there.

32 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Swampy here. 85/71 Heat index 99. Low overnight of 70. Same conditions yesterday and more the same for tomorrow. Lake temp of 80f. Good times.

Heading for my yearly trip to Cape Breton (Inverness) on Friday for 10 days.  Hope it holds for the whole week.  

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

80/70F   Flew the drone into the Bahama Blues.  Rich blue skies, excellent visibility towering Cu with crisp edges with training showers to my west.  The higher ice tops were hidden behind foreground clouds for the most part.  Faced the drone cam up a bit that is why you see props.

I need to share some of the drone work from our recent property. Guy was unreal.