Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

31 minutes ago, BrianW said:

What a tradegy out in Branson MO. Duck boat sank when a storm quickly blew in. The video is hard to watch.

https://www.ktts.com/news/local-news/breaking-ride-the-ducks-capsized-on-table-rock-lake-with-several-people-on-board

Such a sad story. From reports I heard NWS had a severe thunderstorm warning out for the area about 30 minutes ahead of time. Does anyone have a good link to go back and look at radar out of Springfield MO from yesterday? 

Also wow Iowa really did get nailed last night.  This report out of Marshall on the SPC page is strongly worded.

REPORTS OF CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE ... INCLUDING VEHICLES MISSING ... VEHICLES OVERTURNED ... TOPS OF BUILDINGS GONE ... TREES DOWN ... POWER LINES ... GAS LINES ... ETC 

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I checked a couple randoms ones that would def have SPECIs....Dec 11, 1992 and Dec 9, 2005.

Weird. CON has all of the SPECI data. They say they're continually backfilling data so maybe they'll get those too. Plymouth has the 2005 special obs.

Glad we don't live there! How do those poor souls in Texas deal with this heat? 110° F give or take in the Dallas metro today with MOTS tomorrow. 

The dews are in the 50s and 60s too, unlike the desert southwest where they are typically much lower, so the heat indices are likely well into the danger category.

I've never been to Texas, and I'm kind of glad of that fact right now. As an aside, Texas is a state that pretty much everyone I know has been to except myself. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 8.48.29 PM.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Glad we don't live there! How do those poor souls in Texas deal with this heat? 110° F give or take in the Dallas metro today with MOTS tomorrow. 

The dews are in the 50s and 60s too, unlike the desert southwest where they are typically much lower, so the heat indices are likely well into the danger category.

I've never been to Texas, and I'm kind of glad of that fact right now. As an aside, Texas is a state that pretty much everyone I know has been to except myself. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 8.48.29 PM.png

Ha!  ...I bet they just can't wait until Tuesday - what a relief!

• Haha 1

If this were winter ... the Schadenfreude factor would be ginormous... haha... I mean, there's even a definitive deform band on the western semicircle west of PHL over eastern PA - meanwhile, we smoke steadily increasing cirrus on an inland cutter up the Hudson ... 

Those are the very best!  A week of thread surfing over mild inconsequential mid winter rain -

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

If this were winter ... the Schadenfreude factor would be ginormous... haha... I mean, there's even a definitive deform band on the western semicircle west of PHL over eastern PA - meanwhile, we smoke steadily increasing cirrus on an inland cutter up the Hudson ... 

Those are the very best!  A week of thread surfing over mild inconsequential mid winter rain -

Some of us were doing a different kind of surfing 

Screenshot_20180721-144812_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

Looking forward to this weeks rain.  Mowed my empty pond today.  It's manmade and relies on pasture runoff which comes in through a culvert on the left.  Once it gets to its 6 or 7 foot depth the outflow is on the right.  It was overflowing as it normally does in April. It has gone dry a few times over the past 17 years I will be curious to see how much water I can get back this week.  Need the ground to saturate first or a very heavy 2" plus T-storm that would just provide quick runoff over a bone-dry surface.  I'll try to remember to take a picture this time next week for comparison.

pond.jpg

• Like 1

Crazy how dry it's been and the Arizona air masses continue.  Been some low RH each afternoon for what seems like 5-6 days now.

BTV had a 88/44 ob this afternoon for only 22% RH.  That's some dry stuff.  MVL only had 27% at 84/46.  

Its amazing how enjoyable summer heat can be with low dews.  80s over 40s with full sun... game on.

Speaking of gondolas, it's been fun to watch them put in the new gondola at Bretton Woods. It's a lot of work! I'm generally not a fan of gondolas for skiing but it will be nice to have the extra lift. 

Also, the bears are out of control. 4 sightings today just next to my house including one with 3 cubs

• Like 2

A moment in pause as one reflects on the fact that as of this morning ... July is albeit only almost over.   

If time dilation is relative to the observer, that doesn't seem to be restricted to matters of extreme velocity .. because I definitely have not traveled anywhere close to relativistic speeds,. Yet reality is moving past me at an unstoppable translation rate.

But the 22nd?  If the perception of the first three weeks were any prediction, the month is already ... over. 

48 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Hey weenies.  Just wanted to pop and say a quick hello.  Spending more time in CA than home of late.  Not expecting that to change doo, but am looking to be back st the pit come late Friday night.  Enjoy the rains.

We’ll taunt you in January.

7 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Man that’ll kill me.  Figuring things out in this side.  It might be something where I’m out every other week.  We’ll see...,might be one of the deals with me having so many FF miles that I won’t want to go anywhere.

Spent the day in your hood in class 3/4 Rapids awesomeness 

FB_IMG_1532307726019.jpg

FB_IMG_1532307734367.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice Ginx, is that Zoars Gap?  That's the max on the Deerfield at class 3 rapids right?

When living in Albany I did that a bunch of times on both raft trips and some kayak runs through there.

No thats the Monroe section several class 3/4, Devils dip or something like that

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

No thats the Monroe section class 3/4 Devils dip or something like that

Ahhh sweet!  I'm not sure I'm familiar with that one.  I'll have to look on a map where it is.  For some reason I thought Zoar's was the Deerfield max.

There's another fun thing to do on the river...some outfit there (or maybe multiple ones) rent these inflatable kayaks for unguided floats on tamer class 1 and 2 stuff.  That was a blast for a fun relaxing day on the river with plenty of swimming and floating too.