Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

53 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I had actually witnessed similar a few years back but did not get it on vid of a bolt hitting a white pine and taking out chunks the size of 2x4's and scattering them 50+ yds at a golf course.

Trailcams weren't a thing back about 20 years, but I still wish I'd had one watching the 25" by 80 ft pine on the state lot in Topsham get struck.  By the time I saw it in early October, the needles had lost half their green, but the scene was still spectacular.  About 15 ft of the trunk was turned to gigantic splinters, some 100+ pound ones up to 50 ft from momma.  The top 40+ ft was "planted" arrow-straight about 4 ft from the 25 ft tall "stump" (which decayed and tipped 6-8 years ago.)

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Trailcams weren't a thing back about 20 years, but I still wish I'd had one watching the 25" by 80 ft pine on the state lot in Topsham get struck.  By the time I saw it in early October, the needles had lost half their green, but the scene was still spectacular.  About 15 ft of the trunk was turned to gigantic splinters, some 100+ pound ones up to 50 ft from momma.  The top 40+ ft was "planted" arrow-straight about 4 ft from the 25 ft tall "stump" (which decayed and tipped 6-8 years ago.)

I had a Beech right next to my driveway get hit a couple of years ago, left a perfect lightning bolt scar down to the trunk about 55 ft long, it died of course so we dropped it. I was on my deck when it hit, incredible noise.

When I was a young ‘un(...maybe 40 years ago or so?) I was camping with my family somewhere in Maine. As a diversion we went to visit Colby College and were in a museum there.  A decent thunderstorm rolled through and we saw a massive bolt strike a big pine right near us. Blew bark and branches for yards around. Best strike I have ever witnessed.  For years I kept a piece of the bark.  It’s gone now...

4 hours ago, Hoth said:

It's fitting that on my first ever visit to Tree House today they were offering beers called "Tornado" and "Super Typhoon." CAnt wait to crack these babies later

“Damaging Sou’easter” and “80° Dews” are good choices as well.

• Haha 2

Even though our friends over at NCEP/WPC did not analyze a back-door front approaching and passing westward through SNE late afternoon two days ago ... I beg to argue that at least in a 'diffused' form, one did, and here over eastern sections, we've been in it ever since.

We have this ass-pack strata jammed up our butts ruining Sunday morning weather here in east sections, a classic 'morning-after' consequence of having BD air masses stranded in place during the ensuing overnights.  Yesterday, all day, there was a steady diet of zephyrs if not wind notably moving westward ... E or ESE or SE, into this region, while S winds prevailed much deeper inland.

Recently, high clouds have moved off ... as per visible hi-res satellite loops, exposing a rotted low-level dungeon of murk below the summer party that continues from 2 or 3 K feet up...  Now that more direct solar radiation is reaching this layer... we should see it erode from the edges and so forth over the next two or three hours..  If one were to drive west on Rt 2 for 10 minutes from Middlesex sky condition would polar transform probably over the course of about 2 miles of roadway.  Gray abysmal cool, to summer sun, warmth and early cu towers, almost immediately with an edge into open sky visible passing over the vehicle.  I've always found that interesting how such a low, gossamer, yet impenetrable strata layer can lie so convincingly about the deep layer status of the atmosphere..

As to WPC?  They have finally analyze a stationary boundary.  It extends from due N to S ...cutting NE in just about equally in half.  However it is that they generate those surface synopsis, it did not seem to pick up on this feature "moving in" during late  afternoon the day before yesterday.  I credit the NAM though... It's had T1 temperatures of Logan some 4 to 6 C lower then ALB during these two days ... and a wind trajectory supporting, so ... it's really more a nitpicky thing.  I just find it interesting being that I am a nerd -