SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

26 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Also, WTF???? I just hit 92/75

And my pressure is 29.72, I'm assuming in response to Hurricane Chris

Chris certainly took his vitamins today. Also, the only thing I remember about the Eastern situation was that I was unaware of what was going on until I sat down and couldn't log on. Talk about a moment of panic. Thank goodness I soon thereafter found this place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Since Geomorphology was my college major I have been watching the ongoing Kileau volcano eruption with interest.  It has dropped off the news cycle but still going strong.  Most of the flow from fissure 8 (which is spewing the magma) is flowing into the ocean creating new land.   A matter of fact over the next week or two the State of Hawaii will have a new eastern point as the lava flows further out in the ocean.

Weatherwise it has been really interesting to watch.  The steam at ocean edges rises and forms clouds and showers as the trades blow SW.  Heat directly over fissure 8 does the same thing.  Yesterday a showerpast over the area and a tornado formed over fissure 8.  Very cool video showing what looks like a real tornado.  Not sure of the details, maybe the thermals and light winds got the thing going?  Turn the volume up as they talk about it.  Was strong enough they could here it. Here's the video.  

The speed shear in the very lowest layer of the atmosphere combined with intense thermals (updrafts) could likely stretch the vorticity into small tornado. Obviously more of your land/waterspout scenario than a true tornado.

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

I remember some of the drama...I hadn't been a member at Eastern very long. I guess I wouldn't really call it drama. I feel like it was handled really well. And I feel like the member migration went well. I can't remember the name of the original owner. But I can only assume some drastic and abrupt life changes happened and I do hope all is well on his end. 

There is no such thing as free services. I know, numbers wise, we are a huge community and therefore use a lot of data and server resources to process everything we do, there for I can only assume the board owners pay a good deal a month to keep everything up and running. I am not bothered by the ads. I have never found them to be obtrusive.

It was pretty stealth in terms of the general member population...we planned the entire move to the new site in the staff forum though so it wasn't done behind the owner's back either. As dendrite said, we didn't want to move, but the site was going to go offline sometime in early December 2011 unless we got confirmation from the owner that it would not. Despite our best efforts, we never got confirmation, so we finally moved in November of 2011...and we sort of just told everyone the next day to migrate over. Eastern did remain in some shell form until around 2015 I think? I think the young kid who bought up the site tragically died a few years later and the site was never restored after that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

The speed shear in the very lowest layer of the atmosphere combined with intense thermals (updrafts) could likely stretch the vorticity into small tornado. Obviously more of your land/waterspout scenario than a true tornado.

It was a very interesting set of circumstances, a weather oddity for sure.  Can't call it a waterspout, nor really a dust devil.  Would it go down in Hawaii record books as an F0 tornado?  

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It was pretty stealth in terms of the general member population...we planned the entire move to the new site in the staff forum though so it wasn't done behind the owner's back either. As dendrite said, we didn't want to move, but the site was going to go offline sometime in early December 2011 unless we got confirmation from the owner that it would not. Despite our best efforts, we never got confirmation, so we finally moved in November of 2011...and we sort of just told everyone the next day to migrate over. Eastern did remain in some shell form until around 2015 I think? I think the young kid who bought up the site tragically died a few years later and the site was never restored after that.

His name was Martin Cornick. I met him at one of our weather conferences. I really liked him. I was heart broken when I heard of his passing. 

5 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

His name was Martin Cornick. I met him at one of our weather conferences. I really liked him. I was heart broken when I heard of his passing. 

Yeah I believe he made it to the 2014 conference...the last one we have had. That's where I met him...can't remember if he made it to previous conference but I think I remember him at a prior conference or two.

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It was a very interesting set of circumstances, a weather oddity for sure.  Can't call it a waterspout, nor really a dust devil.  Would it go down in Hawaii record books as an F0 tornado?  

Depends on how they want to handle it. They could call it a freak dust devil type thing, but any rotating column of air attached to a cloud that is over land or an inland lake that is not a marine zone is a tornado by our books. Like our waterspouts on Winni are all technically tornadoes for verification purposes.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Depends on how they want to handle it. They could call it a freak dust devil type thing, but any rotating column of air attached to a cloud that is over land or an inland lake that is not a marine zone is a tornado by our books. Like our waterspouts on Winni are all technically tornadoes for verification purposes.

Link to Video?

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Interesting.  This was a few years after I joined the forum after being away from the weather community for about 10-15 years and I remember not knowing what the heck happened.  I remember a post saying something like "this is a big day for the board" and then later that day I didn't see any new posts and it took me several days to figure out what happens...lol.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:17 PM, powderfreak said:

Great weather is boring weather.

Agreed.  I record sky conditions as sunny, PC, or cloudy, and the most sunny days I've had in July is 11, in 2010.  Average is between 4 and 5, already passed this month with 7.  Also have recorded at least 3 cloudy days in July and the average is 6.  2018 currently at zero and likely to remain there at least thru Tuesday.

Yesterday was a sunny and dry 75/54.  Low this morning was pretty close to your 43 with autumnal blue skies, though it's currently mostly cloudy, making today a "CoC PC".

6 minutes ago, KoalaBeer said:

Anyone got a take on Manchester going from 77 down to 64 and right back up to 80 all within an hour. Assuming it's a faulty reading but they have Quality Control listed as OK. Notice no obs from 12:00-12:15 as well.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=KMHT&unit=0&timetype=LOCAL

Toss it. That is probably close enough to not trigger a QC error even though the data is wrong.