Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lots of bears this year!  Fun to watch but makes me a little nervous about kids playing in the back yard. 

I need to start carrying my camera every time I go outside.  

Tons of them around the ski resort up here too.  The other day we watched a big guy run across a ski trail near the base while watching a mom and two cubs play 1,000 vertical feet higher up on the Hayride trail.  Bears everywhere. 

We also just found a dead baby deer carcass near the base of the Mountain Triple lift, with what looked like big bear tracks nearby.  I still don't think a bear would've killed a fawn but maybe he went to check it out after the fact?  Possibly a bobcat or fisher cat initially killed it?  

28 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

35 F recovery here today... impressive diurnal ...  52 to 87.  DP still nominal

These are the best summer days.  Warm to hot in the afternoon but with low dews it's just nice summer weather. 

Up to 81F here after a low of 45F with cobalt blue skies overhead.

A few mornings ago I was riding my bike up one of the hills west of town when a fully grown one sauntered across the road about 40 yards in front of me.   I grinned a little wider passing the house about 50 yards further up on the side the bear went into because the two big dogs that come out to laugh at me cause I'm slow were looking off in the other direction not making a sound.

That's the first one I've seen around here.

9 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yep,  one just walked across my pasture.  See them very often.  Also lots of moose this year.  

They are pretty awesome.   Moose are more rare here, I've only seen two in ten years in Greenfield but lots of other big NE mammals more frequently.

8 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Mixed feelings too. We have a family of 4 in the neighborhood here. I havent seen them personally but 1/2 mile down a lady took a pic while they ravaged her birdfeeder. I nervous too with a 2yr old and two small dogs that have their own dog run. I hope they are smart enough to run back inside if a bear approaches. 

Black bears are timid and super fun to watch but nobody wants to be a statistic, heh. 

6 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Dogs are very good at keeping bear at bay.  

Yup, they are first out the door if there was ever a questionable situation.

IMG_2312.thumb.PNG.2e4ba64a2cffce8cbd312bdc908fcc18.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

American Weather Forums is a social media outlet that came into existence because of a 'quasi' hostile schism among founding philosophies of those individuals that created the now defunct (or is it..?) Easter Weather Forums.

Eastern's attraction by users was for a love of weather experiences, science, and the sharing of ideas. 

American'  loves the idea of profitizing off of weather experiences, sciences and the sharing of ideas. 

I'm curious: Why did that splintering actually cause Eastern forum's demise?  Why didn't Eastern merely move on with it's original paradigm in tact?  There must be a story/truth in there. 

27 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

American Weather Forums is a social media outlet that came into existence because of a 'quasi' hostile schism among founding philosophies of those individuals that created the now defunct (or is it..?) Easter Weather Forums.

Eastern's attraction by users was for a love of weather experiences, science, and the sharing of ideas. 

American'  loves the idea of profitizing off of weather experiences, sciences and the sharing of ideas. 

I'm curious: Why did that splintering actually cause Eastern forum's demise?  Why didn't Eastern merely move on with it's original paradigm in tact?  There must be a story/truth in there. 

It had nothing to do with philosophies. We didn't want to end Eastern.

Since Geomorphology was my college major I have been watching the ongoing Kileau volcano eruption with interest.  It has dropped off the news cycle but still going strong.  Most of the flow from fissure 8 (which is spewing the magma) is flowing into the ocean creating new land.   A matter of fact over the next week or two the State of Hawaii will have a new eastern point as the lava flows further out in the ocean.

Weatherwise it has been really interesting to watch.  The steam at ocean edges rises and forms clouds and showers as the trades blow SW.  Heat directly over fissure 8 does the same thing.  Yesterday a showerpast over the area and a tornado formed over fissure 8.  Very cool video showing what looks like a real tornado.  Not sure of the details, maybe the thermals and light winds got the thing going?  Turn the volume up as they talk about it.  Was strong enough they could here it. Here's the video.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i am not sure anyone is making a profit here, but i could be wrong

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

It had nothing to do with philosophies. We didn't want to end Eastern.

Interesting...  just on the surface, I don't see logically how we can get from "it had nothing to do with philosophies" to "we didn't want to end eastern" ... 

That is inherently a difference of opinion/philosophy...  :)     

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Interesting...  just on the surface, I don't see logically how we can get from "it had nothing to do with philosophies" to "we didn't want to end eastern" ... 

That is inherently a difference of opinion/philosophy...  :)     

Basically our owner had control of everything, disappeared, left us hanging, and ignored every attempt to reach him. He finally talked to me and threatened to just end the entire site/community. I said F that and went behind his back with stormtracker, john-wow, and the mods to start a new forum here.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Basically our owner had control of everything, disappeared, left us hanging, and ignored every attempt to reach him. He finally talked to me and threatened to just end the entire site/community. I said F that and went behind his back with stormtracker, john-wow, and the mods to start a new forum here.

Yes I remember, lots of drama and exasperated people.  You and the other guys did a great job and everyone came over.  

52 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yes I remember, lots of drama and exasperated people.  You and the other guys did a great job and everyone came over.  

Can't believe Tip didn't remember. i never see an ad, of course a small donation to keep the board running solves all that. Otherwise you deal with them, running a server isn't free and Yes Brian, Eeek, and John Wow are doing a fantastic job

• Like 1

I remember some of the drama...I hadn't been a member at Eastern very long. I guess I wouldn't really call it drama. I feel like it was handled really well. And I feel like the member migration went well. I can't remember the name of the original owner. But I can only assume some drastic and abrupt life changes happened and I do hope all is well on his end. 

There is no such thing as free services. I know, numbers wise, we are a huge community and therefore use a lot of data and server resources to process everything we do, there for I can only assume the board owners pay a good deal a month to keep everything up and running. I am not bothered by the ads. I have never found them to be obtrusive.