• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

So much cooler with the torrential rains this morning, ftw.

Something interesting as shown on radar and from what came through.......the lightning is taking place on the back edge of these showers coming through with nada on the front.  Regardless, that was the only thing notable about the lightning aspect.....the rains were extremely heavy.  We'll see if we get any more or if that's it.

59 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

No signs of any flying gypsy moths which means no eggs for next year. Pockets of trees are bare from the 16 17 onslaught. I was getting peppered by immature hickory nuts from our 120 ft + tree, which last year was barren of leaves from Gypsies. So good sign.

20180706_092710.jpg

IMG_20180706_084829.jpg

You're lucky. Hopefully those dead trees are not near anything valuable .

Rain and a couple of thunders moved through about an hour ago.  The temp dropped to 75 but it still feels as humid as yesterday.   With the wet jungle humidity, it doesn't feel like the temp dropped any - it just feels wetter.   

Great 2 week sauna weather for moving!  woohoo.  I wish it would just let loose with a frog strangling rain.  I could use a shower.

Raining...some rumbles...every now and then, I get a decently close lightning flash. The thunder is not loud, even with the close flashes. Sound must travel differently with different storm set ups.

The sound of the rain is calming. I'm sitting at my window watching.

5 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Nice--all split and stacked?

Given to a friend in exchange for a small donation to our dog rescue and a promise to help volunteer once in a while. Had a feel good story while on vacation this past week. My coworkers (one of my  supervisors under me)dog ran off Saturday due to fireworks.  She was gone 3 days. I looked for her several times . I spotted her and coaxed her into a leash and then into my truck. Happy tears on that phone call and subsequent meet. Its what we do

• Like 8

Was out at a wedding reception in the Northeast Kingdom of VT... this photo was from Lowell Mountain pass about 45 minutes north of Stowe.  That's Jay Peak there as the high point along the Spine.  Can see how the axis of the Green Mountains leads to orographic lift.  It's just a wall coming from both the east and west. 

0yMfcPT.jpg

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lots of bears this year!  Fun to watch but makes me a little nervous about kids playing in the back yard. 

I need to start carrying my camera every time I go outside.  

Yep,  one just walked across my pasture.  See them very often.  Also lots of moose this year.  

1 hour ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Lots of bears this year!  Fun to watch but makes me a little nervous about kids playing in the back yard. 

Mixed feelings too. We have a family of 4 in the neighborhood here. I havent seen them personally but 1/2 mile down a lady took a pic while they ravaged her birdfeeder. I nervous too with a 2yr old and two small dogs that have their own dog run. I hope they are smart enough to run back inside if a bear approaches. 

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Mixed feelings too. We have a family of 4 in the neighborhood here. I havent seen them personally but 1/2 mile down a lady took a pic while they ravaged her birdfeeder. I nervous too with a 2yr old and two small dogs that have their own dog run. I hope they are smart enough to run back inside if a bear approaches. 

Dogs are very good at keeping bear at bay.