Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

10 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

What's that mean?  No water at all?  Or do you still have a municipal backup?

We have a little this morning, but it’s getting precarious. The outdoor faucets come directly off of the well and there’s very little water coming out. The water coming inside has one of those water pressure boosters and the filter to go through. I think it kicks on at 30psi and turns off at 50psi. If we knock it down below 30psi it’s taking forever to fill back up. And no...no backup. 

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Never heard of municipal backup on water.  

Beautiful morning at Pit2 with a refreshing breeze coming off the Kennebec.

Nicer air began to move in last evening, and this morning's low was 60 or a bit under.  Full sun, good mixing, lower dews - maybe enables a run at 90, which is uncommon here.

41 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And all that dry weather you wanted a month ago....

lol...I know right?

We'll see how the rain goes on Friday. I think we'll be okay through then if we watch our water use...i.e. no plant watering and cutting back on laundry. If Friday ends up negligible it'll probably get more dicey. I could really use a week long trough with a half inch every other day.

6 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...I know right?

We'll see how the rain goes on Friday. I think we'll be okay through then if we watch our water use...i.e. no plant watering and cutting back on laundry. If Friday ends up negligible it'll probably get more dicey. I could really use a week long trough with a half inch every other day.

How deep's your well?

19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The paperwork says a 70ft gravel well. So not very deep.

After our .77 in May we started watering like crazy in early June.   Im sure we are really stressing our pump running 4 hours of water each day to try to keep our gardens and lawn green.  The 1.20" storm in June helped but now everything is really drying out.  I have a deep  drilled well but noticed the water pressure has been getting low as its taking longer for the water to come up to its static level.  I'll see what happens on Fri AM with fropa but if we miss beneficial rain Im going to stop watering lawns and gardens.  Just hope our 25 baby apple trees make it, pond is almost dry

Our water situation is temporarily in good shape, thanks to 1.5" on 6/28 and another 0.5" very early on 7/1.  I planted 2nd rows of pac choi and arugula this morning, and the soil was still somewhat moist.  Missing out on Friday would put those plantings in jeopardy, though the rest of the garden is well enough established to carry on.  (Rapidly - 2" RA plus heat = pedal to the metal.)

6 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Wow, that's pretty shallow.  I think ours is 400'.

I guess, but I'm not over 1kft either. The river is 200ft below me and I'm 200ft below the top of our hill. Normally we have issues with too much water and drainage.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Sometimes I leave the AC running even after I've cooled off.

In the last 5 years, I've lost power more times on sunny and calm days than in bad weather.

Even more remarkable, this is not the first sunny and calm July 4th I've sat here in the dark.

Definitely the first time it was literally just me and the condos across the street.

The well at my place is 400' deep and provides about 5 gallons per minute. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but the pressure seems pretty decent. The well sits in a natural wetland near the the edge of my lot so I don't think it'll ever run out of water...I hope. 

The water has a slight metallic taste to it due to iron in the bedrock and occasionally there's a little sulfur taste and smell when you first turn it on. The showers and toilets will turn a little brown after about a week to 10 days, but some of that CLR stuff from Walmart takes it right out. I might need to get one of those special filtration systems. 

Aside from its hardness, the water from our well is awesome.  I guess we tap into some type of spring that emerges down the hill.  The pressure's okay unless someone's in the shower which really usurps a lot of the oomph.  I love come in up to Pit2 though and having municipal water.  The pressure in the shower is just awesome.

• Like 1

I actually think my well is doing better than I thought. Stupid me had a calcium inhibitor on the faucet to limit Ca buildup on the misting nozzles over my run. Apparently they plug up a lot faster than the 6 mos noted on the package. Of course I don't have that water going through the home filtration first so I can't blame it for that. Anyway, I'm back to watering.

83/72

A degree ahead of Sunday's pace