• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

The number of Top 10, Chamber of Commerce type days this spring and early summer is incredible.

After April's disaster of cold and snow/mixed events (but nothing large, just a lot of 1-3" stuff, even ZR/IP), May flipped a switch with large diurnal ranges and copious sunshine.  June has continued that. 

The majority of days in June have have minimums under 45F and 5 or 6 days have featured 30s in the morning.  Tonight should be another seeing as temps stayed in the 60s (low starting point) and dew points that got into the 30s late this afternoon.  The day's shallow cumulous have dried up with the lack of insolation and the temperatures are starting to drop fast.

Here's a shot from today's hike...It really has been a great stretch of weather for the last month or two.

June_25.thumb.jpg.9bb2e0ca173ffe98551889f9c8ae79f3.jpg

• Like 2

Was down at the RI shore today  as well, near Watch Hill and Misquamicut.  Beautiful day.  Mid 70's with a late P.M sea breeze and plenty of sun overall.  Nothing like body surfing and boogie boarding with the kids, although my wedding ring got knocked off riding a wave and was unable to find it.  Picked up a quick low budget ring and re-enacted a quick wedding with the kids which was good for some laughs.  Wish I had the whole week off but my vacation comes later next month.  

11 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Was down at the RI shore today  as well, near Watch Hill and Misquamicut.  Beautiful day.  Mid 70's with a late P.M sea breeze and plenty of sun overall.  Nothing like body surfing and boogie boarding with the kids, although my wedding ring got knocked off riding a wave and was unable to find it.  Picked up a quick low budget ring and re-enacted a quick wedding with the kids which was good for some laughs.  Wish I had the whole week off but my vacation comes later next month.  

nice bro, water chilly? Sorry about the ring

My brother was here from Alaska during my Moms funeral, lost his band in the surf and my granddaughter found it the next day on the beach, weird stuff.

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The number of Top 10, Chamber of Commerce type days this spring and early summer is incredible.

After April's disaster of cold and snow/mixed events (but nothing large, just a lot of 1-3" stuff, even ZR/IP), May flipped a switch with large diurnal ranges and copious sunshine.  June has continued that. 

The majority of days in June have have minimums under 45F and 5 or 6 days have featured 30s in the morning.  Tonight should be another seeing as temps stayed in the 60s (low starting point) and dew points that got into the 30s late this afternoon.  The day's shallow cumulous have dried up with the lack of insolation and the temperatures are starting to drop fast.

Here's a shot from today's hike...It really has been a great stretch of weather for the last month or two.

June_25.thumb.jpg.9bb2e0ca173ffe98551889f9c8ae79f3.jpg

I'd love to tool that trail on my Rock-Hopper mountain bike ...  

10 hours ago, alex said:

Already down into the 30s. Should be the last for a while?

Bottomed out 38 or 39 here, 8th sub-40 morning this month, tying 2004 for most in June.  40s tonight, probably not sub-50 again for a while.  Month is currently 2.2° BN thanks to the past 4 days running -7 to -8, so will probably finish about -1.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex at Bretton Woods NH sent me this picture.  Another frickin frost  32ish this AM.  Amazing for June 26.  Basically, 6 week growing season in his deep valley.  

Hyperbole.  :lol:
Even the year I had frost on July 31 in Ft. Kent had a 6-week growing season - actually 2 days longer than that.  ;)  

25 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Hyperbole.  :lol:
Even the year I had frost on July 31 in Ft. Kent had a 6-week growing season - actually 2 days longer than that.  ;)  

I was actually just doing a walk around with my new landscape designer, and I was showing him the various burnt up annuals that I planted, and he mentioned that annuals are really a challenge here in general. Could do fine, but he said that some years this area experience occasional frosts throughout the summer, so that sensitive plantings will look awful all summer long - get burned, recover, get burned. He's pushing for all native plantings which makes sense. They can take a this "on and off" growing season without any problems. 

4 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex at Bretton Woods NH sent me this picture.  Another frickin frost  32ish this AM.  Amazing for June 26.  Basically, 6 week growing season in his deep valley. 

The crazy thing is the other PWS around him at Bretton Woods are just like a few hundred feet higher and often look to be like 10F warmer at night. 

It is nuts how little things matter in radiating.  They moved the MVL ASOS two summers ago to a spot that is 30 feet lower in elevation and about the bottom of the airfield (730ft to 700ft)... I think it gained MVL another couple degrees of rad cooling just by re-siting it next to the stream and field bottom that winds through the airport.  30 feet won't really impact the daytime temps, but at night, going 30 feet lower in an already radiating field can get you an extra couple degrees.

SLK had another freeze at 31F and the Adirondacks are a good example of the temp ranges at night.  You have some spots that can't get lower than 45F at 2,000ft but at 1,500ft SLK can dip below freezing because it literally is the lowest point around.

Same with Alex by the river...in NNE its sort of like if you can flood from a stream or river, you probably radiate like mad because you are literally the bottom of the drainage as the cold air settles in at night.

min_temp.png

Radiational cooling can be amazingly variable.  I have my Davis station which is on a pole.  About 20 feet high so that the anemometer can catch a bit more wind.  I also have my wifi thermometer at the correct 2m height.  I calibrated it to the Davis station.  On calm nights I have noticed a 5F difference at times.  I bet at a foot or two above the ground at garden height it would be a degree or two more.  So the slightest change in elevation is huge.  Just checked last night's difference was almost 4F.