Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

13 hours ago, tamarack said:

Eek's right, of course, though usually the bark isn't so smooth because the moose love to chew it off.  Our neighbor in Ft. Kent had a youngish hardwood lot - trees 5-8" diameter and 50' tall - and there was one mystery tree.  It had YB bark, sort of, and with bare limbs looked like one of those, especially with its nice straight form.  Mt. ash tends to crooks and limbs, in part because it completes best on cold high elevation sites with limited fertility.  The tree had a live twig within reach, so I did a scratch'n'sniff and got the classic bitter almond of mt. ash, not the wintergreen of YB.  Of note:  Mt. ash is unrelated to the ash genus, but is the N. American version of rowan, thus not threatened by EAB.

Deerflies love the heat - cannot get too warm for them, and they look upon deet as salad dressing.  Black flies tend to disappear when temps pass 85, though June 1996 at Deboullie was a horrible exception - got pounded by them in the middle of 250-acre Deboullie Pond on a 90+ day.  That week my Ben's 100 worked for just an hour at a time, so I quit using it.  Only way to avoid the little monsters, other than our solar-oven tent, was in a shady hollow that had snow/ice left from the previous winter and held sub-50 temps. 

Interesting...the presence of mountain ash is likely a testament to the cold and snowy climate here. Thanks to you and Eek for the ID...it was tripping me up for sure. After looking it up online, I will look for the orange berries in the fall. 

16 hours ago, dryslot said:

Deer flies like dark colors

So I've read, though they divebomb my gray-white head just as enthusiastically as they did when my hair was still brown.  They also seem to key on movement, which I discovered by accident while in the woods west of Jackman on a mega-deerfly July day.  My co-worker needed a serious comfort stop and headed into the thicker growth while I waited by a bridge over Turner Brook.  The watercourse as full of little trout and I decided that the deerflies would at least provide some entertainment along with torture.  As I waited, ready to slap, drop, and watch the feeding frenzy, the deerflies left me completely alone.  Their attention returned as we continued our walk back to the truck.  I've since found that standing still causes most deerflies to lose interest - maybe they're like T-Rex as portrayed in Jurassic Park.  (And scaled to their body size, their dental equipment feels like it's similar.)

On 6/21/2018 at 11:20 PM, wxmanmitch said:

Deer flies are out now. There was virtually no break between the end of the black flies and the start of the deer flies. The latter seems to be much more aggressive on warm humid days with ample sunshine than on the cooler days. They were awful on Sunday and Monday but have been much less of a pest the past couple of days. I only had one come at me while working outdoors today. They are nasty, totally ignorant of deet and they'll bite right through your shirt. 

Can anyone ID this tree? I thought it was a yellow birch at first since the bark isn't that much different from it, but it's clearly not with the pinnate leaves and sawtoothed leaflets. I know it's a little hard to see in the 2nd photo, but it has white flowers higher up. There are several of them on the property and on the roadside. I've only seen them above about 2K elevation.

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

Is it an Aspen?  Those trees totally suck.  They've got a huge root system so if you cut it down, it springs up a sh*tload more of them all over the place.

30 minutes ago, tamarack said:

So I've read, though they divebomb my gray-white head just as enthusiastically as they did when my hair was still brown.  They also seem to key on movement, which I discovered by accident while in the woods west of Jackman on a mega-deerfly July day.  My co-worker needed a serious comfort stop and headed into the thicker growth while I waited by a bridge over Turner Brook.  The watercourse as full of little trout and I decided that the deerflies would at least provide some entertainment along with torture.  As I waited, ready to slap, drop, and watch the feeding frenzy, the deerflies left me completely alone.  Their attention returned as we continued our walk back to the truck.  I've since found that standing still causes most deerflies to lose interest - maybe they're like T-Rex as portrayed in Jurassic Park.  (And scaled to their body size, their dental equipment feels like it's similar.)

lol.  They really do suck.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

The ones at the golf course i play at on the back 9 must be pros because they will drive you nuts standing still on the greens, Funny thing is you can take off your hat and place it on the head of the putter and raise it above your head and they will buzz around the hat..........lol

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Seasons in seasons at Hobby Lobby today. Seriously wtf?

Don't they sell that stuff year round?  Kind of like Christmas Tree Shops or Yankee Candle?  Or, was that stuff in the seasonal aisle?

Stores around here are still focused on July 4th and summer stuff but I'm sure that will turn towards back to school stuff and fall stuff after 7/4.

18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Don't they sell that stuff year round?  Kind of like Christmas Tree Shops or Yankee Candle?  Or, was that stuff in the seasonal aisle?

Stores around here are still focused on July 4th and summer stuff but I'm sure that will turn towards back to school stuff and fall stuff after 7/4.

Not year round. They just put it all out in the last week.

23 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Is it an Aspen?  Those trees totally suck.  They've got a huge root system so if you cut it down, it springs up a sh*tload more of them all over the place.

I like the bigtooth aspens.  Love the way the large leaves flutter in the breeze. 

On 6/23/2018 at 8:59 AM, moneypitmike said:

No, it's mountain ash which is a misnomer since it's not really in the ash family. I have some aspens too. I like them as they're an attractive tree and they're not too messy.

Another warm sector fail here today. This spot just does not want to mix out and break into hazy sun like most. Off and on fog and showers with temperatures in the low to mid 60s. The sun tried to break out briefly a few times earlier, but it failed miserably. Still 61° F in the house. Outdoor temperature yesterday afternoon dropped to 49° F with the rain, which explains why the house is so cool. 

Edit: Sun is trying to come out again. Lets see if it succeeds this time.