Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

5 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Huh, isn't the publishing house going to market it ?

If you are signing contracts and such, what are signing for then -

Also, congrats on getting that far.   See... you didn't need me after all.   'Sides, I prolly would of just fugged it up for ya -haha. 

Yeah, I didn't sign the contract, working to get published by a traditional big house publisher, get an agent and do the process right.  I didn't sign anything, and plus it could have been a scam

Deer flies are out now. There was virtually no break between the end of the black flies and the start of the deer flies. The latter seems to be much more aggressive on warm humid days with ample sunshine than on the cooler days. They were awful on Sunday and Monday but have been much less of a pest the past couple of days. I only had one come at me while working outdoors today. They are nasty, totally ignorant of deet and they'll bite right through your shirt. 

Can anyone ID this tree? I thought it was a yellow birch at first since the bark isn't that much different from it, but it's clearly not with the pinnate leaves and sawtoothed leaflets. I know it's a little hard to see in the 2nd photo, but it has white flowers higher up. There are several of them on the property and on the roadside. I've only seen them above about 2K elevation.

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

23 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Deer flies are out now. There was virtually no break between the end of the black flies and the start of the deer flies. The latter seems to be much more aggressive on warm humid days with ample sunshine than on the cooler days. They were awful on Sunday and Monday but have been much less of a pest the past couple of days. I only had one come at me while working outdoors today. They are nasty, totally ignorant of deet and they'll bite right through your shirt. 

Can anyone ID this tree? I thought it was a yellow birch at first since the bark isn't that much different from it, but it's clearly not with the pinnate leaves and sawtoothed leaflets. I know it's a little hard to see in the 2nd photo, but it has white flowers higher up. There are several of them on the property and on the roadside. I've only seen them above about 2K elevation.

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

I believe that is a mountain ash.

• Like 1

Another 32F low this morning. On that note, I had a meeting with a landscape designer early in the week who knows the area well, and said my spot is the absolute coldest around here and I should stick to zone 2-3 plantings, anything above that is doomed. She said it's the combination of being a low spot in a high elevation and the river. Yey me, nothing grows! 

1 hour ago, alex said:

Another 32F low this morning. On that note, I had a meeting with a landscape designer early in the week who knows the area well, and said my spot is the absolute coldest around here and I should stick to zone 2-3 plantings, anything above that is doomed. She said it's the combination of being a low spot in a high elevation and the river. Yey me, nothing grows! 

Lichen is the new "in" landscaping trend

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

Eek's right, of course, though usually the bark isn't so smooth because the moose love to chew it off.  Our neighbor in Ft. Kent had a youngish hardwood lot - trees 5-8" diameter and 50' tall - and there was one mystery tree.  It had YB bark, sort of, and with bare limbs looked like one of those, especially with its nice straight form.  Mt. ash tends to crooks and limbs, in part because it completes best on cold high elevation sites with limited fertility.  The tree had a live twig within reach, so I did a scratch'n'sniff and got the classic bitter almond of mt. ash, not the wintergreen of YB.  Of note:  Mt. ash is unrelated to the ash genus, but is the N. American version of rowan, thus not threatened by EAB.

Deerflies love the heat - cannot get too warm for them, and they look upon deet as salad dressing.  Black flies tend to disappear when temps pass 85, though June 1996 at Deboullie was a horrible exception - got pounded by them in the middle of 250-acre Deboullie Pond on a 90+ day.  That week my Ben's 100 worked for just an hour at a time, so I quit using it.  Only way to avoid the little monsters, other than our solar-oven tent, was in a shady hollow that had snow/ice left from the previous winter and held sub-50 temps. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, wxmanmitch said:

I think those are the ones that patrol your head in dive bombing mobius loops ... I use my b-ball cap and sometimes get lucky - but, if your walking with a group of people and there's a hot chick... walk up next to her, and then kneel down such that her head is higher than yours.   ha

• Like 1

Truly epic heat wave for SNE on the 18z GFS.   In fact, at it's max, Boston puts up the hottest temperatures east of the Mississippi

Next Fri: 90  ...that kicks things off...  Then, Sat: 96, Sun: 102, Mon: 102, Tue: 99, Wed: 98 ... then 87 ... back to 91 the following Saturday...

Almost like the antithesis to that cold wave back in early January... poetic in a sense if that's precisely 6 months later -

58 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Truly epic heat wave for SNE on the 18z GFS.   In fact, at it's max, Boston puts up the hottest temperatures east of the Mississippi

Next Fri: 90  ...that kicks things off...  Then, Sat: 96, Sun: 102, Mon: 102, Tue: 99, Wed: 98 ... then 87 ... back to 91 the following Saturday...

Almost like the antithesis to that cold wave back in early January... poetic in a sense if that's precisely 6 months later -

LOL like anyone is buying that. When was the last time BOS put up a five day average of 100? Maybe close in July 1911, but otherwise never.

1. 7/2-6/1911: 99.6

2. 8/11-15/1944: 99.0

3. 8/12-16/1944: 98.6

4. 8/13-17/1944: 97.8

5. 8/10-14/1944: 97.4

I mean the Euro may or may not be that absurd looking but it lines up with the middle tropospheric features fantastically. 

I don't personally have much experience with numbers like that at this sort a time range - though I'll tell you it's not impossible…I've just never seen that before… Part of me is inclined to think that it's more likely it mutes down  does something less direly circumstantial to multiple sectors of society like that. But sufficed it is to say there's been a signal for big heat in that timeframe for quite a while and it's only gotten louder