• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Turning into quite the wet day.  After a couple hours of storms dropping an inch it's started pouring again this evening.  

Tropical rains with this humidity.

Fairly widespread 1-2" amounts now from BTV through here and eastward.  Even some stations on the west side of Mansfield over 2" now.

IMG_9936.GIF.1cf41fd8ad89d2be7cb9279a1fb77ad2.GIF

OK, here are the details:

I was driving the work van down Green River Road which becomes Plain Road at approximately 5:20 PM.   I had just stopped home to make sure Windows were closed and dogs were OK.  The worst of the storm had seem to have passed since rain and lightened up and sky was brightening.   So I began my trip south to Northampton for a work event.   Less than a mile from my house the rain became very intense and very quickly and the wind started howling with a lot of small tree debris flying about.  

I started to think about pulling over because it was sideways zero visibility rain and wind.   I was coming to a break in the residential area where the farm fields were and all of a sudden I saw the tent at the pick your own strawberry fields  crumple and roll away.  Just as I thought "oh sh*t,  Time to pull over"  all of the trees in front of me started to bow  and a huge branch hit my windshield as I watched a tree ripped out of the ground.   Next thing I know a utility pole is swinging towards my head and I  jerk the wheel hard left.  The van went over a small embankment and felt like it was going to tip but landed upright.   At this point I took a quick breath,  shook the glass out of my hair and clothes and saw the powerlines right over my head and drove another 20 or 30 feet into the field. 

A pick up truck that was behind me pulled up next to me  in the field and asked if I was OK and then told me to keep driving away from the powerlines if I could.

Ironically power is now out until morning for the entire neighborhood from the tree and pole that almost took me out. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Beer is serious business.  Glad you are ok.  Severe is not fun up close

Second time in Greenfield I've been up close although this was way too close.   First time was May 2010 when greenfield lost 150+ trees in a storm so bad we went to the basement.

The funny thing is I waited about 30 minutes before I called my wife and told her and sure enough first thing she said was " I was worried when you left because it got really bad again".

3 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The utility pole you see hanging in the above picture missed me by about 2 feet.   I watched the electric lines swing just overhead as I swerved into the field across the street.   That pole  probably would've taken my head off...

Check your PM

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

We'll get some rain from this last line hopefully. Some some spots in the whites with 3-5". 

I'm seeing some PWS between BTV and MPV approaching 3" now.  

Still raining out, I'm not going to check but I'd assume around 1.5" here given local PWS in the 1.4-1.7" range.  

Good moisture dump that was well needed.

Tropical evening, no windows and doors slamming shut from radiational cooling this evening.  72/72 +RN type obs.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm seeing some PWS between BTV and MPV approaching 3" now.  

Still raining out, I'm not going to check but I'd assume around 1.5" here given local PWS in the 1.4-1.7" range.  

Good moisture dump that was well needed.

Tropical evening, no windows and doors slamming shut from radiational cooling this evening.  72/72 +RN type obs.

Breeze coming though the window feels cooler now. House was 82 when I got home. My son had closed all the windows when the first storms came through and the house was nearly unbearable. Getting better now. 

Oh, glad everything turned out ok Hippy. Looks harrowing. 

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Breeze coming though the window feels cooler now. House was 82 when I got home. My son had closed all the windows when the first storms came through and the house was nearly unbearable. Getting better now. 

Oh, glad everything turned out ok Hippy. Looks harrowing. 

Yeah cold front moving through finally.

BTV gusted to 46mph with the FROPA at 10:30pm.

2.28" on the day for BTV, too.  I think that's like 60% of normal rain for June falling today.