Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Already getting the sun poking out.

Crazy drying up here this morning... it was like an hour max it went from -RN and thick cloud cover to 100% blue clear skies.  

Beautiful day up here now and got warm fast...feels like it went from 50F to 70F with the sun.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy drying up here this morning... it was like an hour max it went from -RN and thick cloud cover to 100% blue clear skies.  

Beautiful day up here now and got warm fast...feels like it went from 50F to 70F with the sun.

We NNE.

23 hours ago, Hoth said:

Oh, no doubt about it. I'm sure if there were a station atop Denali, things would change PDQ.

On the WCI thread (Lakes/OV subforum) I noted having read a book titled "-148", about an attempted winter ascent of Denali that failed due to a huge windstorm.  At one point a veteran bush pilot flew up hoping to check on the climbers, and reported a near "hover" above one spot while his airspeed indicator read 140 kt.  Don't recall what the temps were at the climber's hiding place at the time.  (And my read was years before the current WCI was developed.)

That PF-posted video was wild.  I thought the one serious dust devil I've seen was intense because it carried one of those waist-high ashtray thingies about 1/4 mile to the far side of a small lake, the black can describing circles in the air all the way.  This one blows away that 1966 event.  (Pun intended.) 

Edit:  Two mistakes in the top paragraph.  1st is that book's title is "Minus 148" - try searching what I wrote above and you'll get the runaround.  2nd is that the team actually summited, 1st ever winter ascent, and got caught by the storm while descending, and still high up.  The 1st edition of the book is dated 1969 (I read it in 1974 or 75), and Denali has been climbed several more times during winter since then, including a solo ascent a few years back.

• Like 1

Any mechanics or car guru types here? 

I was rear ended today pretty good ( I am not hurt).

So basically, the kid who hit me is obviously at fault as he hit me when I was making a left into a sub joint. This is besides the point, anyway.

So I drove my car home, but there is a good amount of damage. He hit back right side. Muffler and exhausted was destroyed, back right panel and back side panel also destroyed. The tire was also ever so slightly bent inward, and I could feel it when I drove it home down the street.

Finally, the steering wheel was not straight when driving straight, is that an alignment thing? 

Anyway, my car is at a shop now and I was put in a rental through the other persons insurance. 

What could possible be wrong, and potential cost? My car is worth ~15k so I’d be stunned if it’s totaled

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Any mechanics or car guru types here? 

I was rear ended today pretty good ( I am not hurt).

So basically, the kid who hit me is obviously at fault as he hit me when I was making a left into a sub joint. This is besides the point, anyway.

So I drove my car home, but there is a good amount of damage. He hit back right side. Muffler and exhausted was destroyed, back right panel and back side panel also destroyed. The tire was also ever so slightly bent inward, and I could feel it when I drove it home down the street.

Finally, the steering wheel was not straight when driving straight, is that an alignment thing? 

Anyway, my car is at a shop now and I was put in a rental through the other persons insurance. 

What could possible be wrong, and potential cost? My car is worth ~15k so I’d be stunned if it’s totaled

If you're clearly not at fault, there is no need to care about cost.  Let the body shop come up with a number and deal with that persons insurance.  They'll cut you a check for the damage to repair. We love to use Frank's Autobody up on Broadway by your place.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

It doesn’t take much to total a car. Do you have RWD or FWD? If you have any frame damage or rear axle damage that repair figure will climb quickly. 

Front wheel drive. Yeah, I guess it’s the damage I can’t see that is going to get pricey. Either way, it doesn’t matter I guess. 

And the insurance is already processing the claim under the person who hit me. They got me a rental yesterday after the crash. So hopefully the cut and dry nature helps speed the process along. We actually had the same insurance company and he filed immediately and they informed me i was clearly not at fault for the accident.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Coc k is 70-78. Anything after that is warm to hot

Risking engaging in an idiot's errand...  "Coc," ...if we are interpreting its usage for non-prurient means ... I was once told that is a metaphor for 'chamber of commerce' - which is probably referring to the processed air in those sorts of venues, featured by 72/50 standardization for OCEA or EPA and whatever the f determines what those setting should be...

So... taken fwiw - that doesn't ...or shouldn't really, over much latitude ...otherwise, conditions would no longer be synonymous with said standards. 

Yesterdays 72F under a dark blue sky was a top 10 day up here.  ( after the early AM clouds and very light rain).  Today the score is lower on any scale.  A high cirrus deck is mucking up the score but I'll take 76/54 and high overcast as a top 40 day,  you guys are doing better down there...

Untitled.png

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yesterdays 72F under a dark blue sky was a top 10 day up here.  ( after the early AM clouds and very light rain).  Today the score is lower on any scale.  A high cirrus deck is mucking up the score but I'll take 76/54 and high overcast as a top 40 day,  you guys are doing better down there...

Untitled.png

Yeah just saw sat for the first time today. Lots of mid-upper level cloudiness, but still filtered sunshine. Up to 78F here.

58 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah just saw sat for the first time today. Lots of mid-upper level cloudiness, but still filtered sunshine. Up to 78F here.

I'm on top of Mansfield and it just went cobalt blue, high clouds and milky horizon off towards NH.  Should clear your way in a couple hours? 

Perfect weather though, definitely chamber weather at 78/45.  63F up here at 4kft, for the usual 15F spread from peak to town.  Hiking trails are packed.

One final patch of snow left on the ski trails... find the white. 

Still a couple widely scattered natural snow patches hidden deep in the spruce forests up high near the Stake and under the cliffs by the top of the Gondola...it is crazy how long that stuff can last when its hidden in the dark cold forest floor under the spruce's and protected from the sun by the cliffs.

35416054_10103443073005960_7413559598134

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoth said:

This is a phenomenal day. Just gorgeous. 

it is the opposite of dystopia -..heh

these three days in my mind essentially amount to 80-90-100 ...today thru Monday ... for all intense and purposes - not that you asked.  Just sayn' ... not exactly of course... just by tone.

I'm actually impressed that places like KASH in the machine guidance are pulling +5 to +10 highs and plausible total diurnal anomalies greater than even that, for the entire week really.  I mean, the subtle story is the warm pattern - it's setting the stage ( I feel) for something special in the east, below the 50th parallel, something we really haven't seen since 2012, and that's truly memorable heat, and it may take a week or two in early July to really do it...

We'll see...but the operational GFS isn't far off even before the end of this month, with two out of the last three cycles all indicate vast positive anomalies pervading the UMW-GL-NE axis on virtually every day from D6 to D15.....  The Euro was +11 on the coolest interval...otherwise 12 to 16 through D10 after the hot push on Monday. 

Time to correct  .... up

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

these three days in my mind essentially amount to 80-90-100 ...today thru Monday ... for all intense and purposes - not that you asked.  Just sayn' ... not exactly of course... just by tone.

I'm actually impressed that places like KASH in the machine guidance are pulling +5 to +10 highs and plausible total diurnal anomalies greater than even that, for the entire week really.  I mean, the subtle story is the warm pattern - it's setting the stage ( I feel) for something special in the east, below the 50th parallel, something we really haven't seen since 2012, and that's truly memorable heat, and it may take a week or two in early July to really do it...

We'll see...but the operational GFS isn't far off even before the end of this month, with two out of the last three cycles all indicate vast positive anomalies pervading the UMW-GL-NE axis on virtually every day from D6 to D15.....  The Euro was +11 on the coolest interval...otherwise 12 to 16 through D10 after the hot push on Monday. 

Time to correct  .... up

blessedly I'll be situated with four miles of chilly LI Sound water between me and the heat for the forseeable future, so bring it on!

As an aside, my bro is buying a house within a stone's throw of Wawa and will for the first time have a lengthy driveway to clear come winter. Anyone have a recommendation for a good snowblower? I can also probably use him to corroborate or call bs when Lunenberg sends in a questionable report. Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Time to correct  .... up

Very hot summer becoming imminent along with drought. Oh boy.