Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Funny that NH has a lower official wind chill record than Alaska.

Because NH has a station atop its tallest peak and AK does not?

Disappointing 0.1" overnight.  However, it's been showering since 11 AM, and probably dumped another 0.2" or so.  Baby steps, especially since there's nothing on tap during the next 3 warm days.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

@powderfreak

Do you have an official coldest wind chill for Mansfield?

I'll have to look.  I've saved screen shots from ridiculous cold days in recent years from the MMNV1 obs.

Off the top of my head, -50F is fairly regular (at least once a winter) but there's a sharp gradient there in frequency past the -50F to -55F zone.  Like -60s is much more rare and I want to say like -70F or low -70s would be record territory.  I'd have to do some digging in my daily snow notes too, as I usually add those types of things in the comments.

40 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Because NH has a station atop its tallest peak and AK does not?

Disappointing 0.1" overnight.  However, it's been showering since 11 AM, and probably dumped another 0.2" or so.  Baby steps, especially since there's nothing on tap during the next 3 warm days.

Oh, no doubt about it. I'm sure if there were a station atop Denali, things would change PDQ.

All this talk about heat and I'm debating whether to turn the heat on in the house. 62° F in here presently, but if it drops below 60° F I may have to pull the plug and do it. 50° F outside currently.

Today was like mid October: cloudy, breezy, and chilly with occasional bouts of upslope drizzle and light rain with temperatures in the low to mid 50s. It was oddly dark too for some reason, almost like mid an overcast day in October or November. Meanwhile down in parts of CT it was mid to upper 80s and mostly sunny. Talk about a gradient! 

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Question about the extended GFS MOS data...when it gives the climo for high/low is that the climo averaged for the entire period or is it the climo for the beginning or the end of the period? 

I think it's just the climo factored into the statistical analysis. So maybe some ballpark figure for the midpoint of the 7d prog?

35 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Peed on his south facing lawn last weekend. Enjoying drunk overweight Trump supporters this weekend. Maybe I can finish off Scott’s flower planters this weekend.

Maybe drunk pliable Gronk crossed over from Naswa and started Gronk spiking pots?

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I think it's just the climo factored into the statistical analysis. So maybe some ballpark figure for the midpoint of the 7d prog?

ahh that is another possibility as well. We discussed this a few times in one of my classes but never really came up with an answer...or searched around. but I don't recall ever seeing anything mentioned about it in any of the readings I've done about interpreting MOS. I guess at the end of the day it's not totally significant.