Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

Just now, dryslot said:

That's good, Its peaking here, Its usually second week of June so we are on schedule.

Early last week I was sitting in the kitchen and yelled to my wife and kid to come look at the yellow snow falling,  just a fog of yellow in the air every time the wind blew.

Oddly, although my wife has some pretty bad allergies, that is not one of them.

8 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Early last week I was sitting in the kitchen and yelled to my wife and kid to come look at the yellow snow falling,  just a fog of yellow in the air every time the wind blew.

Oddly, although my wife has some pretty bad allergies, that is not one of them.

Blowing right out of the pines like a sheet of yellow, When i was down in the lakes region you could see it like a wall blowing across the lake, It was disgusting and frustrating keeping the boats clean.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Another 32F for BML. Should be a 50F range there today. Thoughts and prayers to Alex’s tomatoes. 

Poor Alex at Bretton Woods.  3 nights in a row of 32F or below.   I believe.  31.2F, 31.6F and last night 32F.   Get those plants growing again,  I think your safe till about August 15th up there in your cold hole!

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Blowing right out of the pines like a sheet of yellow, When i was down in the lakes region you could see it like a wall blowing across the lake, It was disgusting and frustrating keeping the boats clean.

Not a huge pine pollen year here - though there's plenty it's not like 2 years ago when it looked like there might be enough to shovel.  :o

Worst pollen I ever saw was from red spruce, at Gardner Pond, some 25 miles SW from Ft. Kent.  The stuff formed a bathtub ring on the lee shore that was 2 feet wide and 2-3" thick.  Temps were quite warm and all that organic stuff began to stink.

8 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Not a huge pine pollen year here - though there's plenty it's not like 2 years ago when it looked like there might be enough to shovel.  :o

Worst pollen I ever saw was from red spruce, at Gardner Pond, some 25 miles SW from Ft. Kent.  The stuff formed a bathtub ring on the lee shore that was 2 feet wide and 2-3" thick.  Temps were quite warm and all that organic stuff began to stink.

Its not good here, A lot of white pines around me, I have seen worse years though.

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It just started picking up down here. Waves of it blowing around.

Well, the damage from the several consecutive days of frost and freezes has gotten pretty obvious. Even perennials suffered, and my super duper hardy grape vines are all nice and crisp. Everything should recover but when you have such a shirt growing season to begin with, it's definitely not going to be a great year for the garden. Oh well... There's always winter. :)

7 minutes ago, alex said:

Well, the damage from the several consecutive days of frost and freezes has gotten pretty obvious. Even perennials suffered, and my super duper hardy grape vines are all nice and crisp. Everything should recover but when you have such a shirt growing season to begin with, it's definitely not going to be a great year for the garden. Oh well... There's always winter. :)

Alex,  you should really think about a greenhouse.  Take the $ you save on AC and buy one of these.  https://www.amazon.com/VINGLI-Greenhouse-Reinforced-Gardening-Galvanised/dp/B07CYS8DPB/ref=sr_1_26?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1528823364&sr=1-26&keywords=greenhouse

14 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Already have one! But it's not quite the same... :)

A now-retired co-worker who lives a few miles west of CAR had (probably still has) a medium-size greenhouse.  He'd overwinter tropical stull like lemon trees and bananas inside, then move their big pots out during the warm wx - had some nice lemon crops, but after 3 years with no fruit the banana was abandoned to the frost one autumn.  He grew better melons up there than I could when I lived south of Augusta, but he also really worked at it.  He'd spend entire weekends transplanting seedlings into peat pots, both for his own garden and to sell at farmers' markets.  One summer when his 2 girls were in 1st/3rd grade, back around 1990, they were selling cukes 3-for-a-quarter from their front yard, and made over $200.

9 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Poor Alex at Bretton Woods.  3 nights in a row of 32F or below.   I believe.  31.2F, 31.6F and last night 32F.   Get those plants growing again,  I think your safe till about August 15th up there in your cold hole!

Hehe. Third year in a row that I plant tomatoes - and fail. Who knows maybe we won't get a frost till October and they'll be fine! Highly unlikely. My kale and Swiss chard are doing great though. 

23 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

I'm not an English teacher but the grammar sounds off a bit unless that is the intent with the repetitive title.  Perhaps a "Dawn to Dusk or "From Dawn until Dusk" may be options if those names are not already taken.  

It always created with the intent necessary to capture the essence of the novel topic.

30 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Dews tickling 60F today are noticeable compared to the low 40s we've been having as of late.

Dews are mid-60s here at work (based on KFIT's last report)... might add a degree or two.  Def noticible in my building.  

Better than yesterday when we had a major plumbing issue and the entire building reeked of sewage.  Neat

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Dews are mid-60s here at work (based on KFIT's last report)... might add a degree or two.  Def noticible in my building.  

Better than yesterday when we had a major plumbing issue and the entire building reeked of sewage.  Neat

It's only 60F at TAN.

19 hours ago, alex said:

Hehe. Third year in a row that I plant tomatoes - and fail. Who knows maybe we won't get a frost till October and they'll be fine! Highly unlikely. My kale and Swiss chard are doing great though. 

Some places just aren't suitable for warm-weather crops.  The owner of a large logging outfit in NW Maine, with an office is just to the American side of the border across from St.-Pamphile, PQ, lost his tomatoes 4th of July week 4 straight years before throwing in the towel.  It was a flat at 1,000' with gentle hills both east and west to allow the cold to gather right at the garden.  When we lived on the flats in Ft. Kent, we saw flakes in both June and August, and a frost on 7/31/78 - singed my pumpkins and killed the beans next door.  Taters, carrots, all the crucifers should be okay, but for tomatoes, peppers, squash, cukes, some sort of season-extending shelter is probably required.