Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It appears I will be in the same town as Lava rock next weekend for a bachelor party. I’m gonna kill his weeds by urinating my name all over his yard. 

His yard will take all of the nitrogen it can get.

16 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

And Isaac’s Storm was Erik Larson (who is awesome btw).

Dave, I read Isaacs storm and agree with your Larson statement.   Read Dead Wake.  That was particularly interesting to me as my grandmother come over on the last voyage of the lusitania emigrating from Russia with the final leg to the US in steerage on that ship.  I heard an interview with Larson after he wrote “in the garden of beasts” which details the beginning of the Nazi era in Germany from the point of view of US diplomats stationed there.  The research into that book was so disturbing that Erik Larson became depressed for awhile.   I remember reading devil in the white city 15 years ago while working in Africa.  Definitely among my favorite authors of non fiction.

Full sun for our daughters hs graduation yesterday.  I got scorched.   Gap year away starts in September so we go to empty nest status.  Where does the time go....

15 hours ago, kdxken said:

It will die,  might survive the season .  At least one of every five Oaks defoliated last year is dead . Here's one I took down this morning . 

Nice job, yea I have 2 dead ones on the perimeter of the yard. Took down 7 April 6th that were near the house. The dead Oaks died after only 2 years of gypsies. We have none this year. Can see strands of dead Oaks from the hills looking out. I see trees in a different light now, was nice having shade over the house but they are a threat not a benefit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like it just ended. Checked a few wunderground stations in town 

Mets and models had been advertising a soaking .. Hopefully tomorrow’s storms deliver more 

I said a lot of areas should have half inch or more. Seems doable in many areas. 

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

Dave, I read Isaacs storm and agree with your Larson statement.   Read Dead Wake.  That was particularly interesting to me as my grandmother come over on the last voyage of the lusitania emigrating from Russia with the final leg to the US in steerage on that ship.  I heard an interview with Larson after he wrote “in the garden of beasts” which details the beginning of the Nazi era in Germany from the point of view of US diplomats stationed there.  The research into that book was so disturbing that Erik Larson became depressed for awhile.   I remember reading devil in the white city 15 years ago while working in Africa.  Definitely among my favorite authors of non fiction.

Full sun for our daughters hs graduation yesterday.  I got scorched.   Gap year away starts in September so we go to empty nest status.  Where does the time go....

Devil in the White City is excellent as well.  The Garden of Beasts was a difficult read for me...very disturbing as you stated

21 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Well, that 4600 number was derived statistically by looking at a small sample and extrapolating...probably not hugely accurate, but def more in line with reality that the 65 or whatever were “officially” killed.  Pretty insane considering it was the US in 2017.  

Im guessing we will never know the “real” toll.   And you are so right that our civilization, or at least the US part, is lining up for some monster catastrophes.   Either a hurricane, or a Pacific coast volcanic deal, or an earthquake, or ...God help us...a Yellowstone caldera...

WaPo published this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2018/06/02/did-4645-people-die-in-hurricane-maria-nope/

They gave a lot more credence to the other 5 studies that estimated the death toll at ~1000.  Certainly horrific enough as it is.