SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Is Bustin' Out All Over - Pattern and Model Discussion

HimoorWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This signal has had a lot of weight ... despite being in the extended.   I'd keep that in mind ... seems folks are quick to want to rush in 'mock' matters.  It's all for fun, of course, but I'm wondering if we should hold off and give that more cycles, given to the fact that this doesn't even mature through the NE conus (still) until D 6 thru 8 off of the 00z initialization. Just sayn'

The 'bulge' in the westerlies  we see propagating out of the west reaches an apparent acme ... right around 595 DM heigths, as we're hitting 120 hours in the 00z Euro.  Said node is situated somewhere over SE OH/WV of SW PA.  But employing temporal/transitive reasoning ... that means that it is entering better predictive skill (D4) for those areas of the lower Lakes to western OV. That unfortunately means that we are 120 hours here, thus NOT in the Euro's wheelhouse this far E.

Some prior runs, when that was 132...144 ... 184 etc, there has been continuity issues as to whether said burgeoning ridge node would continue growth and sprawl...or merely decay as something more transient...pancaking into what looks more like run-o-mill polarward retreat of the westerlies.  I still think there is uncertainty there beyond that 120.. 

I would also note, the Euro would still put up 95 to 99 heat around the Capital District over toward the eastern slope country of NH and ME and probably Logan... 850s air layer is still a parcel ejection source from the SW U.S. and it's not completely eradicated.   I guess if there is petty necessity to actually see 104 on a thermometer, that's a tedium I personally could care less over... If it is 96 for two days with lows only to 81 in the urban regions, that's big heat either way we cut it. 

22 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Wonder if 12z brings it back.  I mean we have 850s supportive of big numbers and GFS dews are low enough to allow it. 

which there is a likelihood that is an error... 

we expanded on that last page or so, last evening, about the GFS' on-going BL issue with theta-e management.  Recall, in the winter ...it routinely modeled saturated or near saturation cold side precipitation events with huge gaps between the temperature and DP.  It just can't seem to physically actually wet-bulb the temperature ...   Anyway, this could be related to the same problems.  It isn't ejecting enough moisture into the grids out in time, or has some sort of bug where it removes too much... coming or going...  Either way, with perhaps faux dry WV the model is then running away with those modeled 2-meter, gross indecencies to the experienced participants among us ...heh. to put it nicely.   

111?   really...  That's 6 over climo in Phoenix for this time of year for some perspective.  

Anyway, the Euro was putting up 102 and 104 plausibility during those same cycle/run times..so, we couldn't discount the big heat signal...just that nutty extremeness of the GFS.  

As to your point, however, overall I agree.  I was just also commenting that there is native predictive sloping around 120...  I gotta say, the 00z Euro looks suspicious to me how it carries 594+ heights then poof!  they suddenly disappear as they are entering the door of NE...  particularly when the surrounding synoptics don't impose many reason to force that.  who knows - 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Brown outs should be widespread in this . This will go down as a top 5 heatwave . People should be expecting and planning for widespread problems 

enjoy your low to mid 90s, maybe the hottest this year has to offer 

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not here.  Mid 90s, tops if we get a W/NW wind trajectory that adds some downslope.

And here either, Even sustained 90's for a few days are rare for my local with where we are in relation to the atlantic, As the crow flies, I am 20 miles or so from the ocean, I would need to have SW or NW winds to achieve the higher temps.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Brown outs should be widespread in this . This will go down as a top 5 heatwave . People should be expecting and planning for widespread problems 

Forky said to look at soundings and maps, well if he is right this is congrats NNE on having high 850 temps while we all in SNE see 90s in the typical hot spots, turning out typical.

Just now, dryslot said:

And here either, Even sustained 90's for a few days are rare for my local with where we are in relation to the atlantic, As the crow flies, I am 20 miles or so from the ocean, I would need to have SW or NW winds to achieve the higher temps.

TAN can do heatwaves.  All about the winds though.  Southerly or easterly won't do it.  Has to be W and NW.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

ISO New England is predicting a peak load over the next seven days will be 22,410 megawatts next Monday, which is 6,000 megawatts less that the available generation, and 9,000 megawatts less that the available generation + available imports.  Wide spread brown-outs/problems are very unlikely, based on current ISO NE projections.

https://www.iso-ne.com/markets-operations/system-forecast-status/seven-day-capacity-forecast

9 minutes ago, Brewbeer said:

ISO New England is predicting a peak load over the next seven days will be 22,410 megawatts next Monday, which is 6,000 megawatts less that the available generation, and 9,000 megawatts less that the available generation + available imports.  Wide spread brown-outs/problems are very unlikely, based on current ISO NE projections.

https://www.iso-ne.com/markets-operations/system-forecast-status/seven-day-capacity-forecast

Hey great site thanks

With more than 32,000 megawatts (MW) of capacity expected to be available this summer, electricity supplies should be sufficient to meet New England consumer demand, but tight system conditions could develop if forecasted extreme peak conditions occur

Summer 2018 stats:
Peak demand forecast: 25,729 MW with temperatures at about 91°F
Extreme peak demand forecast: 28,120 MW with an extended heat wave of about 94°F
Peak forecast incorporates 3,330 MW of demand reduction:
Energy efficiency measures are forecasted to shave 2,700 MW off of the peak
Behind-the-meter solar photovoltaic installations at homes and businesses are forecasted to shave 630 MW off of the peak
Last year’s peak demand: 23,968 MW
All-time highest summer peak demand: 28,130 MW on August 2, 2006 

• 2018 stats:

• Pe

wwd-demand-table-2016-08-15b.jpg

Archived