Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Is Bustin' Out All Over - Pattern and Model Discussion

HimoorWx

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It also drops cyclone pressures into the 800s, consistently. Still waiting for one to verify. 

Well I think we can toss those GFS 2m temps, but it’s looking hot regardless. I mean it’s trying to pop 45C 2m temps with 25C 850s. You’re probably looking more at 104-106F with those 850s which is still pushing state all-time records. The euro and ggem are 100+ too so we’re talking consensus high end. Even if we lose a few degC aloft or get a day with convection we’re probably still seeing a day pushing 100°. Gotta get it inside d5 though.

I posted those maps because of how weenieish they are, but gotta wait a few days before we legit start talking breaking records. The FV3-GFS has been doing some funky things, but other models are hot as a firecracker too...just not Phoenix caliber hot.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

What the **** is the GFS doing?! This is the peak of like 4days of well into the 100s. LO to the freakin L.

6E41968C-E359-40D2-87F8-543A3A1D573F.png

Calling the National Guard for heat ... omg...hahahaha.

Yeah that's ... that's a head scratcher.   I don't think 24C at 850 ...which is pretty much top tier for what we ever have witnessed slabbing over head of our lat/lon ...even supports numbers above 103 or so; which is of course hotter 'n holy hell... Probably shouldn't down play general societal impact potential at a chilly 103, huh. 

Hot August 1975 put up 102 at Logan, 104 at Providence, and 107 at New Bedford.  The previous afternoon readings were in the high 90s at those locations, and the overnight were elevated - you'd almost have to have the high launch pad... We aren't getting the radiative insolation they do into Dallas, and we don't have Chinook either..

There are some physical limitations to our neck of the woods that make those number specious to me - to put it "mildly" (haha).  If we look at the MOS numbers, they are lower? I think that's evidence that the product you present above, is similar to those bar-graph products, both of which are just like raw, coarsely resolved machine puke.  They haven't had those other parametrics applied to them. Like, Worcester ...at 1,000 foot and change of elevation, being 105 F with 850s at 24 C...that seems like a physically challenging slope/adiabat just on the surface - heh, literally... I almost wonder if they have a very poorly resolved topographical/geographical base to the atmosphere, as though the sigma levels are flat wrong without necessarily applied modifications.. who knows.

But, I dunno...I'm employing logic as a speculation tool... I don't actually purposely know what the source/origin of the bar-graphs, or that graph, which "looks" like the came from the same source, is... Just that it might explain...

image.png.2ccb2909c3e785aaf464e592f8d532e8.png

I vaguely remember this heat wave.   I was living in Baltimore as a teenager but still watching weather.  This particular hot day had a NW downsloping wind.  I remember thinking how low the RH was..  I maybe mistaking....

Hot August 1975 put up 102 at Logan, 104 at Providence, and 107 at New Bedford.

55 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would slash 5-10% off those temp numbers (in degrees F) for now...climo....but should be a nice scorcher for a few days.   Power consumption will be nuts

This is a best approach ... as Brian just also intimated...

The entertainment of those products ... it is what it is, but don't believe what you see in the movies - heh. 

We have a warmer than normal pattern...  Hell, we don't even know if the flow doesn't buckle unexpectedly over eastern Ontario, and it doesn't have to do so demonstratively; subtle mass confluence in the form of differentiating mid level wind velocities can impose BD tendencies.  Can we imagine ..? After all this, we BD and it's 69 F at Logan while it's 95 at ALB - OH, that'd be delicious.

I mean... there's no such boundary indicated as of 06z, the 18z and 00z runs of the GFS tried to do that...even though how it went about doing so was dubious and unlikely.

The blend of the operational runs at 850 mb are impressive.  The GGEM, Euro, GFS... all bring 21 to 24 or even 25 C at 850 mb, and... one aspect I find intriguing is that that air layer's thermal layout is pulsing hotter upon the 00z renditions every day from Saturday through that following Tuesday... all guidance appear to be doing that.  Some mixing and adulteration of that layer due to diurnal mixing is to be expected, but, there's like 2 to 3 C of pulsing going on... That strikes me as either 1  ... to much so, or 2 ... an indication of a uniquely ideal set up for very tall boundary layers - that would maximize the adiabats and really get the surface to fry.  I don't have a problem with upper tier heat in general... But there is no way in Hades, the modeled initial conditions would cause ORH to trophy a 105, or Lawrence to put up a 111... agreed.

11 minutes ago, ma blizzard said:

we July 1911 redux? 

Honestly can anyone remember more impressive looking output for a heat wave in ~5-7 day range for our area?

I've seen this before ... I'll give it to you it's rare.   But, comparing the virtual world of weather (modeled realm) vs the real world of weather (what verifies) the former tends to extremes the latter less often experiences, and thus most of those big balloon ridgy heat domes pop before they get inside the mid ranges.... 

That said...  sometimes reality transcends the absurdity of fiction and crazy crap happens.  We'll have to see... if we can get this bad-boy to three days of lead, and the actual MOS products (will be < than their climate dimming ...while applying the physics the raw numbers currently are not) than we can start gaining confidence.

Ha... well, if one uses the GGEM....it just utterly eradicated any heat for anyone straight through to the end of it's run...

Out of nowhere, it opts to plunk a -1 SD trough closed off over eastern NE where every other guidance ..including its self, have been for days indicated at minimum, a +2 SD ridge... 

As a result, in a single run it's swung eastern New England from 99 to 69 ...and pegs it there with onshore flow through the middle of that next week... 

So there you go -

Obviously that's just erratic model noise, but... it does serve to remind us that this whole talk-of-the-town (because there's nothing else going on..) is still 5+ days away.  We could still end up 88 for four days...  Like I've said and said before, big ridge balloons love to pop and deflate in mid ranges.  

I wonder if the Euro pulls the plug too - I'm guessin not but we'll see.

GFS showing instability in its own rite...  Keeps high temps well shy of records and actually more manageably hot through the period...never really exceeding 94 or 95 ...

I'd say that's more believable by climate arguments alone... But, it's getting to those regressed numbers by dubiously generating all kind of convective gunk inside the planetary node of those huge DAM heights...which for that sort of phenomenon is typically more suppressed.  That's a new aspect ...error or not...

I don't know if the winter phenomenon ...where a big D8 system gets lost for a few cycles before 'storming' back applies also to summer-time model expectations wrt to ridges... but, it'll be interesting to see if this thing is at the beginning of getting pulverized by models rasping the heights and heat with a swarm of offsets...

The Euro's being cute with an MCS ... it takes it's vestigial convective induced meso s/w and develops it into a TC off the M/A...  00z had it a hurricane (c 1) into the 'Linas but this run is more TS and keeps it to E of CC...

The GGEM actually uses something similar to phase with a maritime parcel of retrograde mechanics ...and that's the source/origin for it's sudden continuity break with a total closed mid level circulation that ...well, has zippo support from any other source... Except, this Euro run has the TC too ..it just bi-passes that N stream. 

In either case, this Euro run has pretty much opted to lose the upper tier complexion for the heat signal ...and looks more like a seasonal warmer than normal period.

Caution as obviously at 5 day minimum before this becomes imminent ...it could come fully back or disappear altogether. 

While not likely... I would watch whatever forms off the east coast.. could be a sneaky event in about 5 days.. 0z Euro had a hurricane hitting NC and 12z takes what looks to be a tropical storm East of New England... I'm sure nothing will come of it.. but still something to watch..

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The Euro's being cute with an MCS ... it takes it's vestigial convective induced meso s/w and develops it into a TC off the M/A...  00z had it a hurricane (c 1) into the 'Linas but this run is more TS and keeps it to E of CC...

The GGEM actually uses something similar to phase with a maritime parcel of retrograde mechanics ...and that's the source/origin for it's sudden continuity break with a total closed mid level circulation that ...well, has zippo support from any other source... Except, this Euro run has the TC too ..it just bi-passes that N stream. 

In either case, this Euro run has pretty much opted to lose the upper tier complexion for the heat signal ...and looks more like a seasonal warmer than normal period.

Caution as obviously at 5 day minimum before this becomes imminent ...it could come fully back or disappear altogether. 

Just saw your post should have read through before posting... I guess we will have to see what that mcs does in the next day or so...

Archived