Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Is Bustin' Out All Over - Pattern and Model Discussion

HimoorWx

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

yeah?  latest NWS forecast is 88F.  Got as high as 91F but now backed off.

For Taunton Massachusetts ? 

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest (if we are indeed discussing Taunton) that 88 and/or 91 under these modeled atmospheric conditions is inadequate.

Mind you ...that's based upon modeled synoptics; could the modeled parametric fail?  Sure... but, fwiw ... multi model/multi-run support, from some very dependable sourcing at that, almost make it theoretically impossible to keep conditions that cool under standard adiabatic arguments, those wind trajectories and deep layer ceiling RH...  I suppose in the off chance the sun like ...turns off and it stays night... perhaps.

Guess we'll find out... 

I tell you what ... (and it helps if one actually goes and reads NWS' reason - heh) ... but if the wind can veer to 210 or less (somewhere in that slope) than pretty much all of R.I. and SE Ma, and maybe as far up as even Logan get some "relief" off the bite water contamination from modulation between the Jersey shore and L.I. Sound.  ... maybe.

But, it looks like the dependable model sources are trying to formulate at least an impression of a lee-side thermal trough ...and that could do the trick of bending the wind with more southerly component...But, should the wind stay with enough westerly trajectory... in either format the deep layer thermal fields make 88 or 91 a difficult limitation, so we're hedging on the indirect ocean influence for verifying the lower numbers here. 

If the Euro is really saying 84 to 86 in Tuanton... I'd like to know the exact source for those numbers ?

11 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Heading up to the Kangamangus Sunday and Monday what do you think the chances are for much rain ? I won't hold it against you if you are wrong :-)

May be higher than we think ...  initially the "ring of fire" around the northern arc of the heat dome will be situated somewhere's central to NNE ...so, that's sort of a conveyor for convection should any develop. Plus, you add to that .. the bumpy land topography from the Tughill region of upstate NY on through the White's and Green's ... that may accentuate some of that potential. 

I think also some of the guidance have spatterings of QPF around there, which may atone for some of this reasoning - ...keep an eye out. 

All that, and the NAM model has been trying to drop heavy convection sagging S with the boundary around 18z Monday outright... Not sure about that particular guidance at this range, for convective initialization, but given to initial conditions it's not impossible either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

May be higher than we think ...  initially the "ring of fire" around the northern arc of the heat dome will be situated somewhere's central to NNE ...so, that sort of a conveyor for convection should any develop. Plus, you add to that .. the bumpy land topography from the Tughill region of upstate NY on through the White's and Green's ... that may accentuate some of that potential. 

I think also some of the guidance have spatterings of QPF around there, which may atone for some of this reasoning - ...keep an eye out. 

All that, and the NAM model has been trying to drop heavy convection sagging S with the boundary around 18z Monday outright... Not sure about that particular guidance at this range, for convective initialization, but given to initial conditions it's not impossible either.

Tip, good to hear your reasoning.  The Gray AFD seemed bullish in the shower/storm chances when I compare that to what the models are spitting out here in the Lakes Region of NH. .  I really want a nice solid line of heavy T storms slowly moving south through this region later Monday.  

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Euro is the source,  what do you think I made it up?

index (1).png

No...  'source' can be anything.  The euro may generate base numbers...but then if and often they are, mangled by machine/interpretive algorithms, that becomes the source. 

Having said that, it's up to the user to consume the numbers regardless of the source. 

That source looks like schit  ;)     buuuuut, who knows. Perhaps it may verify that way...  particularly if that region's winds veer more. But, should it be more west, I wouldn't trust that given the Meteorology of what is going on. 

Hmm... That's two out of the last three cycles of the operational GFS that paint most of the conus, east of the Rockies ~ longitudes, awash in substantively hot 850 mb temperature anomalies... from roughly the end of this week ...right out to the end of the run.  Basically 9 or 10 days worth of plausible 90 F on any given day.

00z, and now this 12z ... The 06z was still averaging warmer than normal... Didn't spend much time on it, but it 'looked' like it had more trough incursions at times - which may actually be more seasonal-trend friendly.  Who knows...

Seems like the 97+ big heat signal on Monday is looking a bit more murky down here.  Core of warmest 850's has shifted NE and the mean wind flow may be more SW than W along with debris cloud contamination.  May end up 94-96 range which is nothing really special around here. Schools were already announced on Friday as an early release Monday here due to the projected the projected heat and minimal AC's.  

12 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

Seems like the 97+ big heat signal on Monday is looking a bit more murky down here.  Core of warmest 850's has shifted NE and the mean wind flow may be more SW than W along with debris cloud contamination.  May end up 94-96 range which is nothing really special around here. Schools were already announced on Friday as an early release Monday here due to the projected the projected heat and minimal AC's.  

Cloud coverage certainly plays a role.. 

30 minutes ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

95/68 in a non-AC school is still terribly miserable.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Debris is always the wild card.  Probably among the most impressive hot days I’ve seen was a day I needed to be in DC in 2006.  Solid overcast and they still hit 100.

Those days the air almost feels worse. The clouds reradiate IR/longwave rad back down on you and the air just feels dead. The nights are worse too...probably 80F type mins for DCA.

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Debris is always the wild card.  Probably among the most impressive hot days I’ve seen was a day I needed to be in DC in 2006.  Solid overcast and they still hit 100.

It's an interesting physical question actually...

I've noticed that around my sister's place in VA, too - ...they need more than we do to suppress a potential.  I suspect it's just an irradiance thresholds thing, where down there...so much intensity even in diffused daylight seems to add enough to cook. 

It's just less here... it's why as we've noted in the past ... less can go wrong by the time we get to our latitude and dimming/muting occurs.  I just don't know where that latitude cut-off is... NYC...?  PHL...DCA... etc... 

But an ill-timed cirrus tendril will stop Logan dead at 98 on a west wind under 22 C at 850 - I've seen that...

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Heck 88/68 in a non-AC school is terribly miserable.  

if we wanna really break it down... there's probably a reason why the climate control standard for indoor public venue environments is set at 72/50 or thereabouts ... but heh - 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

BOX FTMFL

GFS has had a bit more of a southerly component down there and the max 850s are near here...so maybe he ends up close  to today. We'll see. It won't take much of a westerly component to blow that furnace back in.