• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Outdoor Activity Thread (Running/Hiking/Dog Walking/Sports/Etc)

I myself am into running, hiking, skiing, canoeing, etc and thought it would be cool to have a place to discuss these types of endeavors.  I'm interested in hearing about other people's outdoor interests, workout routines, sports leagues, and all that.

This time of year as the humidity and heat ramp up I really struggle to maintain my running pace.  Typically I keep my pace between 7-8 minutes per mile but for my run this afternoon at 80/78 I'll probably be struggling to keep it around 8-8:30 and I'll end up totally soaked.  

I don’t do a sport but my daughter rides. Even in this soup. Although today the impending rain coming in we decided to not go to the barn. I am crossing my fingers for a hold off on the rain on Saturday as she has a show. And unless it is downpouring or a thunderstorm they keep the show going. Wet pony, wet leather and soggy kids do not make a fun time of it. 

45F to 60F is my preference when it comes to the temperature on my early morning runs. 60-65 is warm but still comfortable. Above 65F it starts to get uncomfortable. Above 70F It's really becoming uncomfortable. 75F+ is bleh city.

40-45F is chilly but managable for me. At 30-39F it becomes cold for comfort. Below 30F it is very cold. Below 20F I risk damaging my skin. Did that when I went running early Friday morning on December 16th 2016. Twas 11F and I was outside for about 45-60 minutes. By the time I came in I couldn't feel or even move my fingers. My fingers stung for days afterwards. Finally my damaged skin shedded from my fingers and wrists a few weeks later. 

Going to the other side of the spectrum I don't know how people run outside in the heat and humidity of a summer day. As I already mentioned, mid 70's early in the morning is hot for me. *Shrugs*

Okay I know; too much rambling. I shut up now. :ph34r:

3 hours ago, George BM said:

45F to 60F is my preference when it comes to the temperature on my early morning runs. 60-65 is warm but still comfortable. Above 65F it starts to get uncomfortable. Above 70F It's really becoming uncomfortable. 75F+ is bleh city.

40-45F is chilly but managable for me. At 30-39F it becomes cold for comfort. Below 30F it is very cold. Below 20F I risk damaging my skin. Did that when I went running early Friday morning on December 16th 2016. Twas 11F and I was outside for about 45-60 minutes. By the time I came in I couldn't feel or even move my fingers. My fingers stung for days afterwards. Finally my damaged skin shedded from my fingers and wrists a few weeks later. 

Going to the other side of the spectrum I don't know how people run outside in the heat and humidity of a summer day. As I already mentioned, mid 70's early in the morning is hot for me. *Shrugs*

Okay I know; too much rambling. I shut up now. :ph34r:

It's weird.  I HATE the heat.  With a burning passion.  That probably comes fom going to school in Fresno for 5 years.  But, if I am running, I have no real problem with it.  Sure, performance suffers but, since I sweat like crazy after any temp >60F, it's all just degrees of wet.  Running in 90F with high humidity is better than being in 80F in a dark suit in my book.

I ran in -8F during the middle of the day in Vermont this winter.  I loved it.  I also run in shorts down to like 28F so that's just how I roll.......

Years back, when I could still run, I considered it a great sport because the weather doesn't matter. Just roll out of bed, stretch and go. On those miserable 35f and downpouring rain days we get, I very much hated it for the first block or so, but then it just seemed to be OK and afterward it was a nice feeling of accomplishment. But I never worried about my pace or anything. Just do it, as they say.

13 hours ago, das said:

It's weird.  I HATE the heat.  With a burning passion.  That probably comes fom going to school in Fresno for 5 years.  But, if I am running, I have no real problem with it.  Sure, performance suffers but, since I sweat like crazy after any temp >60F, it's all just degrees of wet.  Running in 90F with high humidity is better than being in 80F in a dark suit in my book.

I ran in -8F during the middle of the day in Vermont this winter.  I loved it.  I also run in shorts down to like 28F so that's just how I roll.......

I agree about the dark suit....man I hate that.  I remember one time I went to an interview downtown and it was like 85 and really humid and I had like a 5 block walk on each side of the metro, wow that sucked.  Showed up totally sweaty.

I also love a good cold weather run.  This winter I visited my parents in NY state around the holidays when it was quite cold, the high was around 10F and my dad and I did a 6 mile run in the park.  I love bundling up and all that.  

Archived