• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hoosier

June 2018 General Discussion

Not exactly sure how it's going to play out in the LOT area.  Models sort of suggest the setup could be just progressive enough to prevent things from getting out of hand, but it's a close call, and with good precip rates it won't take long to put up some pretty big numbers on top of what's already fallen.  Most favored area appears to be somewhere around here to north of the I-80 corridor.  

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

There's like 40 dbz over me and it is torrential rain.  

Dust Bowl II cancel?

But yeah, very tropical rains under some of the cells. Only got 1.25" here yesterday, but it seemed like more considering it rained on and off all day.

4 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Dust Bowl II cancel?

But yeah, very tropical rains under some of the cells. Only got 1.25" here yesterday, but it seemed like more considering it rained on and off all day.

You ready for the 80 degree dews coming next weekend?  :devilsmiley:

Euro and GFS both have widespread dews in the mid 70s to low 80s next week/weekend... entirely believable given the time of year and recent rains (with more to come by then).  My guess is that temps/heat indices will at least end up similar to the recent hot stretch, with certainly the potential to exceed in magnitude and/or duration.

19 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

It has been pretty wet this June, after a top-5 wettest May as well. Fortunately it hasn't all come at once, so we've been spared the widespread and damaging river flooding that took place ten years ago this month. Of course that stretch was also accompanied by tornado outbreaks, something this season as conspicuously lacked as we chasers/severe buffs are all too aware.

Yeah, at least not all of these heavy rain events have been cold, stratiform rains.  Madison themselves have seen over 20 days since May where they reported thunder.  Also, our best severe weather season can extend into July or even August.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Euro and GFS both have widespread dews in the mid 70s to low 80s next week/weekend... entirely believable given the time of year and recent rains (with more to come by then).  My guess is that temps/heat indices will at least end up similar to the recent hot stretch, with certainly the potential to exceed in magnitude and/or duration.

Yep. Also a 594-97 at times ridge. Interesting to see how high temps will get. Otherwise extreme dew points will likely cause widespread heat indexes of 110 plus 

12 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Looks like today's high temp at ORD will only be 64. 

This is about 20 degrees below normal...which is hard to do in late June.

Record low max for the day is 55.  How does that happen?  :axe:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Record low max for the day is 55.  How does that happen?  :axe:

Yeah...I know the official station was right up against the lake when many of Chicago's April-June record low maxes were set...but that's crazy.  The lake water temps must have been very chilly in the late 1800s and early 1900s during the spring-early summer. 

I wonder how reliable the data is.

8 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Looks like today's high temp at ORD will only be 64. 

This is about 20 degrees below normal...which is hard to do in late June.

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Only made it to 67 today.  Picked up 0.20" overnight and today.  4.29" for June.

Just think, by Wednesday or so, ORD and MLI will be cranking out the 90's again.

• Haha 1

Yesterday we managed to briefly hit 74 at dtw before noon then it fell to the 60s during the afternoon. An overcast day but only sprinkles and a broad evening shower. Big rain bust here. It has been a very comfortable week after the heat last weekend. Still feels nice out but it's definitely high humidity despite temps in the 70s 

ORD had a diurnal range of only 5 degrees on 2 consecutive days.  If I didn't miss something, it looks like that hasn't happened (consecutive days of 5 degree range or less) since December 26-27, 2015.

Overnight model runs more or less maintained the heat potential in the extended.  The most impressive relative to average was New England, with the Euro/GFS having max temps of 105-109, which would be in all-time/off the chart territory for those places.  Plenty of time for that to back off though... I'm sure residents there would appreciate some backing off given that air conditioning is not as prevalent.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Overnight model runs more or less maintained the heat potential in the extended.  The most impressive relative to average was New England, with the Euro/GFS having max temps of 105-109, which would be in all-time/off the chart territory for those places.  Plenty of time for that to back off though... I'm sure residents there would appreciate some backing off given that air conditioning is not as prevalent.

That's what sucks about the north.

I grew up in Atlanta and never really suffered from the heat till I moved north. No on has air conditioners up here.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I don't know, except far northern New England, I would assume air conditioning is just as prevalent in most of New England as it is here. Just because summer is relatively short does not mean it doesn't get blistering hot at times. Even when it's Sunny and 80 out really you do need air conditioning to make it comfortable inside.

8 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I don't know, except far northern New England, I would assume air conditioning is just as prevalent in most of New England as it is here. Just because summer is relatively short does not mean it doesn't get blistering hot at times. Even when it's Sunny and 80 out really you do need air conditioning to make it comfortable inside.

Other than weak window units, a/c's are not standard across Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine.