joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Across much of lower MI, the SPC mesoanalysis is showing...

*4500 to 5000 J/KG of SBCAPE

*1300 to 1400 of DCAPE

*LIs of -10 to -12

*Mid-level lapse rates of 8 to 9 C/KM

...and it's only mid/late morning.

That has to be close to record levels of instability. And if any activity did manage to break through the cap and tap into that energy, oh boy...

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The heat wave coming up is 1 in 20 year type stuff according to BUF NWS. A week straight of mid 90s in Buffalo is something I've never seen in my lifetime. We have the potential to hit 100 for the first time in history tomorrow. 

I don't think it's 1 in 20 year type stuff in this area but obviously for upstate New York extreme heat is less common. As seen by the fact that Buffalo has never officially hit 100゚. But forecast for buffalo is 94. Triple digit heat seems unlikely thanks to the tropical humidity. 

28 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Across much of lower MI, the SPC mesoabalysis is showing...

*4500 to 5000 J/KG of SBCAPE

*1300 to 1400 of DCAPE

*LIs of -10 to -12

*Mid-level lapse rates of 8 to 9 C/KM

...and it's only mid/late morning.

That has to be close to record levels of instability. And if any activity did manage to break through the cap and tap into that energy, oh boy...

It's true that the 8-9 C/km lapse rates are quite rare for the Great Lakes and Northeast.  Of course this makes a huge difference on the CAPE value. You may be right.  As of 00z, we will be able to compare the CAPE at the DTX sounding today with previous records.

There are tornado warnings currently in central Ontario, one of the polygons is hilariously huge (most of it being in a area of rainfall without a core). The first tornado warning came out at 5:37 am: I've never seen one in the middle of the night like that (in Canada, closest was June 2010 Lemmington ON F1 at 1:30 am IIRC) however I seriously doubt anything happened. For some unknown reason EC dropped the heat warnings for eastern Ontario like Ottawa :clap:. How many hours til those are brought back?

EDIT: It was just mere minutes till the heat warnings were put back for eastern Ontario :lol:

21 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I don't think it's 1 in 20 year type stuff in this area but obviously for upstate New York extreme heat is less common. As seen by the fact that Buffalo has never officially hit 100゚. But forecast for buffalo is 94. Triple digit heat seems unlikely thanks to the tropical humidity. 

...Dangerously High Apparent Temperatures Likely This Weekend...

Record heat in the 90s will combine with dew points in the 70s to
produce very uncomfortable...and potentially dangerous...apparent
temperatures through at LEAST this weekend...as an anomalously
strong sub tropical ridge will dominate the Lower Great Lakes and
Mid Atlantic region. The heart of this impressive ridge will be over
the Ohio Valley as we open this period Friday night...then as we
advance through the holiday weekend...it will drift to the east
across Pennsylvania. Putting the strength of the ridge into
perspective...the +2 to 3 STD feature has a late June return
interval of 5 to 10 years with its corresponding heat (H7/85
temps) having a climatological recurrence of 10-20 years.

This is the forecast for around Buffalo:

Sunny and hot, with a high near 95. Heat index values as high as 105. Southwest wind 14 to 18 mph.
Saturday Night
Clear, with a low around 74. South wind 7 to 13 mph.
Sunday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 100. Heat index values as high as 108. Southwest wind 8 to 13 mph.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 74. South wind around 6 mph.
Monday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 95.
Monday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 72.
Tuesday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 93.
Tuesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 72.
Independence Day
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 72.
Thursday
Sunny and hot, with a high near 93.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 71.
Friday
Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92.

Will be interesting to see if BUF can tag 100.  I'd imagine there's even less room for error at a place like that considering how the lake is positioned... like if the wind is more like WSW than SW then it would come over more of the water.

Just now, Hoosier said:

Will be interesting to see if BUF can tag 100.  I'd imagine there's even less room for error at a place like that considering how the lake is positioned... like if the wind is more like WSW than SW then it would come over more of the water.

Yeah the SW wind tomorrow is going to be what prevents it I think. We need a SSW wind. 

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Interestingly, MDW managed to dip to 79.

Yea, ended up being the opposite of what I thought.

We’ll see if that 80 holds at ORD through midnight, and some guidance bring in weakening convection and/or outflow at some point tonight. 

23 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Yea, ended up being the opposite of what I thought.

We’ll see if that 80 holds at ORD through midnight, and some guidance bring in weakening convection and/or outflow at some point tonight. 

Doubt it would arrive in time even if it does move through.

19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

ORD has been 80+ for 27 consecutive hours.  There was a 44 hour streak on July 22-24, 2012 (just using hourly obs). Would have to continue through 5 am tomorrow to match that one, which looks very iffy.

I wonder what the longest streak is.

10 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I wonder what the longest streak is.

July 1916.  There were 5 straight days with lows of 80+ (next longest streak is 3 days) so you can imagine how many hours that streak lasted.  The observation site was on Dearborn back then.

16 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

July 1916.  There were 5 straight days with lows of 80+ (next longest streak is 3 days) so you can imagine how many hours that streak lasted.  The observation site was on Dearborn back then.

I'd imagine that will be something very hard to ever top.

I have been reading some newspaper articles from some of the heatwaves of yesteryear. Some of them were downright brutal. In years past I was always looking up stuff about the (locally) infamous heatwaves like July 1936, August/Sept 1953, July 1955...and while those are extremely impressive, some of the other ones you dont hear about much are simply because of less gawdy high temp numbers. I got to thinking how stifling and sapping it feels outside today but by numbers it will not jump out in the record books with highs in the mid-90s. So thanks to good old Xmacis, I have been looking up some other heatwaves where we may not have tagged 100F but for 3-6 nights in a row lows were in the 75-80 range, so it was a humid nightmare. Hundreds were dying from heat or drowning. Crazy in the pre-AC days.

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I have been reading some newspaper articles from some of the heatwaves of yesteryear. Some of them were downright brutal. In years past I was always looking up stuff about the (locally) infamous heatwaves like July 1936, August/Sept 1953, July 1955...and while those are extremely impressive, some of the other ones you dont hear about much are simply because of less gawdy high temp numbers. I got to thinking how stifling and sapping it feels outside today but by numbers it will not jump out in the record books with highs in the mid-90s. So thanks to good old Xmacis, I have been looking up some other heatwaves where we may not have tagged 100F but for 3-6 nights in a row lows were in the 75-80 range, so it was a humid nightmare. Hundreds were dying from heat or drowning. Crazy in the pre-AC days.

Anything noteworthy from May-Oct 1911? My local data for that summer appears as if I made all the numbers up in a wild summer fantasy fill-out.

Kind of an interesting story. I was watching the Rockies vs the Dodgers last night. I looked up some stats on Cody Bellinger of the Dodgers. This young guy was born on the exact same day as the killer heat wave in Chicago- July 13, 1995. According to records that I found, this day was 106 in Chicago.

Archived