Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2018 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

I'll give it a 50/50 shot at this point. Would not at all be surprised for it to get down to 79.

Agree.  I'd like to see the dewpoint get a bit higher at ORD before committing to it.  Right now it's 93/72.  If it occurs, it would only be the 4th time that an 80+ min has occurred in June. Highest June min is 81 on 6/28/1913.

My rough thoughts are:

20% chance of min 77-78

40% chance of min 79

40% chance of min 80-81

5 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Agree.  I'd like to see the dewpoint get a bit higher at ORD before committing to it.  Right now it's 93/72.  If it occurs, it would only be the 4th time that an 80+ min has occurred in June. Highest June min is 81 on 6/28/1913.

My rough thoughts are:

20% chance of min 77-78

40% chance of min 79

40% chance of min 80-81

Midway's dew is 3 degrees higher and PWK's is 4 degrees higher than ORD right now.  Kinda curious.

Can we all at least agree on Midway not dropping below 80?  :P

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Now there's a 5 degree spread in dewpoints between Midway and O'Hare.

I have two guesses on why, but who knows if either are correct...

Continued ongoing widespread construction is still ongoing on, on and near the airport property...including near the ASOS location. Additionally, MDW is closer to the rural areas south of I-80, while ORD has double the distance. So with the southerly flow, maybe that's making a difference as well? Even PWK is 3F behind MDW.

MSP is 98/72/107.

Since 1873, Minneapolis has reached 100 degrees on 66 days, including 9 days in 1936 (8 of those days occurred from July 6-14 :o...peaking at 108 on July 14). The last year with two or more 100 degree days was 1988. Seems like their 100 degree climatology is similar to Chicago. 

31 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

95/82/119 here now. It’s became completely unbearable in the last half hour or so here.

Edit: Dews have been increasing considerably in the last 1-2 hours around here, with most stations nearby reporting low 80’s for dews now. (Thanks corn) Winds are also lightening up a bit

I have to use the word of the week for this, just torrid. Is it unbearable just standing outside in it, working, or both? I'd like to experience a 120 indice for 5 mins.

8 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

I have to use the word of the week for this, just torrid. Is it unbearable just standing outside in it, working, or both? I'd like to experience a 120 indice for 5 mins.

Both, even sitting in the shade is pretty awful. It’s up to 95/84 now, it bounces around between 81-84. Living next to a lake and surrounded by corn fields really comes back to bite you on days like today lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Sorry... maybe they won’t be as bad on the east end of the UP. It’s mainly the biting black flies, mosquitos, and the horseflies that are the most troublesome. Unexpected severe storm a bit ago made it really muggy. 

Yeah I am going to snag some heavy duty stuff from my grandparents this weekend for up there. It is looking hot all week too, so instead of sightseeing I might just go to Round Lake and hit the beach there.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Are you on board with an 80 degree low at ORD tonight?  I still think it is more likely than not, and have noticed that the models have a tendency to drop temps in the city too quickly.  The HRRR gets it down to about 78, even with a ~7 degree drop between 7 and 9 pm tonight, which is unlikely to happen.

80 or 79

58 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

I have two guesses on why, but who knows if either are correct...

Continued ongoing widespread construction is still ongoing on, on and near the airport property...including near the ASOS location. Additionally, MDW is closer to the rural areas south of I-80, while ORD has double the distance. So with the southerly flow, maybe that's making a difference as well? Even PWK is 3F behind MDW.

Seems plausible

Pretty crazy heat for Northern Lower, APX issuing its first ever excessive heat warning. 

Considering the rarity of the expected heat and the complexities
mentioned above, as well as the fact that this is a busy summer
holiday weekend across northern Michigan with lots of outdoor
recreation, have decided to hoist an excessive heat warning for all
of northern Lower. This will run from late Saturday morning through
Saturday night, as little relief is expected overnight into Sunday
morning. According to data from IEM, this looks to be the first
excessive heat warning issued by APX. Sunday is looking to be
another very warm and muggy day, but not as hot as Saturday.
Potential convection and clouds will also make Sunday`s temperatures
trickier, so will leave to later shifts to decide if any areas may
need a heat advisory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Dew hit 81 here earlier.  Back to 79 now.  Temp made it to 93, with the highest heat index 113.  The temp languished at MLI today, as they only made it to 93.

Mixing level ended up being low, even lower than some guidance showed.

3 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Even Houghton, MI has a DP of 70.  That doesn't happen very often...

Still 85/72 at 8 pm (high was 88).  Tomorrow's point is up to 91 now.  Been up north way too long to have any heat tolerance anymore.  It might as well be 110.  Average summer dew's up here are in the 50's.